How do you abstain from eating the chocolate in the fridge?

Options
124»

Replies

• cseckinger1
    Options
    Don't buy chocolate & you won't be tempted.
  • Crzymommyof2
    Options
    outa sight outa mind :)
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If I want it and it's within my macros I have it. If it's not I usually don't. I actually had 2.5 good beers the other day. It's a good thing I had plenty of calories due to exercize. I was within 26 calories of going over.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    As long as the packaging is closed, I'm fine. But once it's open I might as well give in and get it over and done with :laugh:
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you are having strong sugar cravings, it could be that you have an overgrowth of yeast in your gut. It's a very common but little known problem characterized by bloating/gas, fatigue, and sugar cravings. There is an over-the-counter aid called AZO Yeast that is taken orally for women's yeast infections. It's homeopathic and inexpensive! It really helped with my sugar cravings! A few cubes of dark chocolate is an excellent remedy also!
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I dont stress over it..if I stress over it it makes me want it more. . I work in a store..around chocolate all day ... The candy bars stare at me..and talk to me.. i grab a protein bar if I really can't resist.. At home if I see chocolate in the fridge..i pick the smallest serving chocolate i can find..if my boyfriend is eating junk at night.. I have a few bites and leave it be..(thinking my head..JUST ONE MORE BITE PLEASE) self control has been rough, but it has gotten me 30 lbs lighter, so I have to do it..Let me just say ice cream is a ROUGH one for me to say no too.. i love it so much and i know i can't just eat a bite.. so i stay clear away!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Chocolate was one of my trigger foods. When I first got serious about my weightloss back in February - chocolate and ice cream were banned from my house. My protein shakes were chocolate flavoured so I got that chocolate taste fix on a daily basis. At work or visiting friends, the hardest time was the first time uttering the response, "No thank-you.' when offered whatever chocolate confection. It got easier for me after that, especially after experiencing some weightloss success. I just didn't want to sabotage my hard work at that point.

I reintroduced chocolate into my diet just a couple of months ago. I have 5 bars of quality chocolate sitting right on top of my dining room table. Now I fit a few squares in here and there - it's maybe a weekly treat for me. The old me would have eaten the whole bar and felt powerless to stop at just a few squares. I needed that total break from it to achieve self control.

Oh yeah, and don't keep chocolate in the fridge. That's cocoa abuse! :wink:
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, mainly because I rationalize it ("just this once", "I deserve it", "I'll make up for it later"). My rationalizations are a lie to myself, and I do end up feeling guilty. Now, I follow the out of sight, out of mind.

Don't look in the fridge carelessly. If you're going in there, know what you are getting, get it, and shut the door. There is no reason to "browse" through the fridge or cabinets, especially if you are the one doing the shopping.

Look at your daily log and then look at the nutritional value of the item you are tempted by. Does it fit into your plan? Think about how you will feel at the end of the day. If you truly have some wiggle room for that day, go for it, but carefully select your portion size and don't overindulge. You will be happy to have the treat, and you won't have to feel guilty about it. If you can't "afford" it, don't have it!

Also, I don't use food as rewards. I think it contributes to emotional association with foods and you will be more likely to use the rationalizations of "deserving" the food, or feeling like you are depriving or punishing yourself.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1) Accept the pie, say thank you, pull out your phone and enter the calories into MFP. If it sets you over by too much, eat half the pie, cake or brownie, lean back in your chair and unbutton your pants while expressing how utterly full you are.

2) Never go into someone else's fridge. Except your mom's fridge. That might as well be your fridge, too. If you come across the chocolate, sneak a tiny bite by breaking off a tiny piece. That way, nobody notices you came across their chocolate stash and helped yourself.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    How do you abstain from eating the chocolate in the fridge?
    I don't climb into the fridge in the first place, and eat the chocolate on the sofa instead.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm having a good day, when all of a sudden we go to visit some relative who offers me pies and ice cream and brownies. Or I happen across some chocolate in the fridge. I know I'll regret it a half hour later but I can't stop myself. My sweet tooth is out of hand...

How do you abstain/ find the motivation to stay on track?
    I keep my chocolate in the cupboard, so I don't ever have to eat the chocolate in the fridge. ;-)

Kidding.

At home, I only keep Green & Black's 85% cocoa around, which is very rich so I have a little every day and that's enough and I'm not tempted. I don't keep anything else in the house.

As for when I go visit people, well, I'm not very good at not giving in, but if I keep busy, I'm less likely to eat.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Relatives bearing desserts: "Oh my goodness. That looks so delicious and rich, and I barely have enough energy to burn off half of a piece - thank you for a small piece!" (presuming fruit pie, yum! Fruit!)

Chocolate in the fridge: I have that, and it has a very specific purpose. It is there to provide a bit of an insulin rush in the specific circumstance of having burned at least 300 calories in a half hour that has ended no less than 15 minutes ago and made identifiable muscles sore (and presumably ready to be strengthened) from the workout. And it is consumed right after the egg, chicken, or cheese that is right after the post-exercise oh-my-I-hope-I-can-drink-enough-water-to-get-past-this-thirst. (So final sequence: exercise, wipe sweat, stretch, wipe sweat, drink, eat protein, eat chocolate, shower.) After all, the presence of carbs, insulin, and protein right after a workout is known to promote muscle formation. And if I don't, I might end up with negative calories from too much exercise (had that last week, commuting under muscle power can do strange things to calorie balance). So.... Can't eat it at other times because it is exercise equipment! : )

Thus the final answer to the chocolate-in-the-fridge challenge:
    Boredom, look in the fridge, see chocolate.. oh, looks good... I should go for a run so I can have some!
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    another thought -

If I put it in my mouth, it's no longer in the fridge, so no problem! :)
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm having a good day, when all of a sudden we go to visit some relative who offers me pies and ice cream and brownies. Or I happen across some chocolate in the fridge. I know I'll regret it a half hour later but I can't stop myself. My sweet tooth is out of hand...

How do you abstain/ find the motivation to stay on track?

I just refuse the pies and ice cream and brownies and as for chocolate in the fridge, I never put any in there.

yup. i don't buy it. if i do, it's in single servings so there aren't leftovers.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I don't climb in the fridge to eat it..
  • lu1506
    lu1506 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to chocolate so not problems there, its wine & cheese that are my dangers so I'm not buying any :)