A question for runners....

Options
So I decided to work toward being a runner. Started the other day. Well today it is cold and rainy and is going to be for a few days. My question is do you run in the rain or will you get sick? I don't have a treadmill so I have to run outside. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I prefer running in the rain, keeps me cool and happy.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't usually run in the rain because I strap my phone to my arm. But if it was just sprinkling and such, I would be fine running without my phone. It shouldn't cause issues for you to run in the rain, just your phone.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Weather doesn't cause illness, bacteria and viruses do. Dress in clothes appropriate for the weather so you don't get hypothermic and enjoy your run!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If it's raining really heavily stick to the treadmill (nothing worse then soggy running shoes), but if it is just alight sprinkle it will probably feel really good!
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    As long as the weather isn't too bad I'd run outside. A little rain isn't going to do much.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Definitely run in bad weather (except for severe storms of course) but dress appropriately. If you stayed inside every time it was rainy or cold, you'd never progress as a runner (unless you have a treadmill).

Plus, rain is lovely for those long runs!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I have a waterproof bright colored wind breaker that I wear when I run in the rain. It has a hood and zippered pockets. I love the zippered pockets because I can put my keys, phone etc in there. Also it is light so it doesn't make me too hot if it's warm out.
  • andriawenz
    andriawenz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do not like running in the rain because I wear glasses. I hate running without them because I have such bad eye site. But according to my doctor, running in the rain does not make you sick. Actually being cold and wet does not make you sick (germs/bacteria/viruses do) as long as it is not for a prolonged period of time (as this lowers your immune system's ability to fight said germs). Also, do not warm up super fast. If you are running in the rain make sure even if you are not hot, to do a cool down. Then you should not take a super hot shower, but just a warm one and allow your body to come to a normal temperature at a slow rate. The only thing you have to worry about is what omma said, your electronics... and I would also make sure you are not running on something that is going to get extra slippery from the weather... and conniemaxwell is right, make sure to dress for the weather as well! Have fun running! It does get easier and more enjoyable!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    get your self a rain running jacket, and track pants. a hat too, to keep the rain out of your eyes.
  • airant
    airant Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just run in the rain on tuesday, I actually like it, its feels good!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how much heat you produce running. Running in the cool rain really demonstrates how hot we can make ourselves. I avoided it for a while but have learned not to just endure it but embrace it.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love doing anything in the rain - I'm always the idiot at the beach. The only time I have the beach all to myself on Cape Cod.
  • Njenva
    Njenva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question. I have just started C25K and the weather in Nairobi is pretty weird this month. I have been wondering about whether to run when raining and now it seems all I have to do is wear appropriate clothing! :-)
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Unless its a torrential downpour before I start, I run in the rain. If the rain starts while I am running, then I just continue on and finish my pre-run distance. Running in the rain is refreshing as it helps keep the body cool.
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain, especially since it's so humid normally in the summer. Rain is a refreshing change.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Weather doesn't cause illness, bacteria and viruses do. Dress in clothes appropriate for the weather so you don't get hypothermic and enjoy your run!

All kinds of this.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is great (barring monsoons, hurricanes & thunderstorms), running in the snow is even better!
  • funpilot56
    funpilot56 Posts: 100
    Options
    Running in inclement weather if fine. Just watch the overall temp and humidity for appropriate clothing. Above 40 degrees usually shorts and long sleeve shirt if raining. Below 40, long pants and possibly wind breaker or waterproof jacket although you will sweat more even with the mesh openings. Make sure you set your shoes with toes up against a wall and put newspaper in them to dry out. Love running in bad weather...my best races were in lousy weather so I guess I was a good mudder. Good luck and enjoy it. oh yea, leave the crap at home (phone, ipod, keys...just take a key you need and tie to shoe). Enjoy the weather!
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I will run in a decent rain. Make sure that you are visible to others if it is kind of gray outside, and invest in a lightweight water-resistant jacket. I shopped around and found a sort of windbreaker at Old Navy last fall that actually worked pretty well. Not as good as the really technical stuff, but worked okay and a fraction of the price.

One thing I do to make sure my shoes don't get too wet is that I duct tape over the cloth parts. I know it sounds funny, but it can *really* help. You might still get a little damp if it's a pretty good rain, but it works wonders in a light rain or sprinkle and fends off blisters. Let me see if I can find a pic...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/199076_10200822158946310_1743192617_n.jpg

I did that for a run when we expected light rain. I bought patterned tape to match the colors of my shoes. hehe All the women in my running group do it!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I see rain and all I think is. Cooling system, lets see how fast I can go.