What do YOU eat after a workout??

Options
Ok so I'm trying to make a list of the things I should be eating after I workout. Like right now I'm eating Greek Yogurt w/ honey. (YumO) Sometimes I'll eat a banana w/ a handful of unsalted peanuts. A shake aaaaand that's about it. I know in order to keep losing weight the way I have is to eat some of those calories back correct? *shrugs shoulders* It's like "Damn I just had a kick *kitten* workout! Burned 700 calories, now I have to eat??!! Ugh, why?" That's what I tell myself. But I want to do it the correct way so I can make this a life style change and not a diet. Chime in!

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I usually have some sliced apples with a tablespoon of almond butter. but sometimes, like today, i only had a cup of skim milk with a tablespoon of lite chocolate syrup (yum!).

usually any kind of protein is the way to go after a workout.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There's no scientific evidence that says your body requires for you to eat immediately after working out, so if you're not hungry, don't eat! Just make sure that you eat at least half of your exercise calories sometime throughout the day and you should be fine.

It has been proven that women who drink skim milk within 30 minutes of working out lost more weight and gained more muscle than those who didn't, probably because of the amount of protein in skim milk, and because your body absorbs more protein if it's in a liquid form, versus a solid form, like a protein bar. Also the vitamin D and Calcium in milk has also been known to aid in weightloss as well.

Hope this helps!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    A tuna burger is what I go for after a workout garnished with salsa, sour cream, and cheese. Also drink a good bit of water. Or I'll make one of my fruit smoothies with a little peanut butter and cinnamon.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't. I'm usually not hungry after a work out, so I drink lots of water, and avoid eating when I'm not hungry. I know I need to train myself to respond to my body cues: to eat when I'm actually hungry, to pay attention to spinach/citrus/protein cravings as a way of meeting vitamin deficiencies. I want to learn to take care of myself for the rest of my life, so am trying to monitor, and be mindful.

Some people insist protein is the way to go. Research has suggested that chocolate milk is as good as a protein shake for recovery....
  • jvbehr
    Options
    Do you have a recipe you like for those tuna burgers?
  • nithin
    Options
    I usually have a banana and a few almonds OR banana with skim milk. Almonds and banana are termed as "good" fats and at the same time almonds and milk contain decent amount proteins (?). So basically I try to consume some good fats and proteins since research say that your body absorbs proteins very effectively within 45 minutes of your workout. This is a good time to help increase lean mass/ muscle and replace fat from body. The good fat keeps me full for at least couple of hours till my next meal. After losing about 10 more pounds I will replace these with protein shakes (which I plan to make on my own with protein isolates and of course not buy it from the counter !)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It all depends at what time of the day I workout and how intensive it was. Sometimes I am not hungry, so I get a wheat cracker with a string cheese or 5 or 6 whole almonds and water, to hold me until lunch or dinner. I agree with another post, I am not very hungry after a workout and if I eat or drink too much, I get sick.

I didn't try the glass of milk after a workout but I may do that in the future.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Usually after I do my workouts it's time for me to make dinner! =) Which take sme about 20 - 45 mins depending on what I'm making.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    After a workout your absorbtion is at it's highest for the day. Your body is prepared to take in and use anything you give it, so you have to give it GOOD stuff. After a resistance workout I have 1 cup of low-fat chocolate milk, as it has a ratio of 4:1 of high glycemic fast acting carbs to protein. This is usually the one time of day where fast-acting carbs are a good thing, as they stimulate the muscles to start the recovery process. Proteins are also good because they give you the building blocks for the muscle to rebuild itself. I drink the chocolate milk asap, usually 15 minutes after my workout, then try to get fast acting lean protein about 30 minutes after that, usually some form of chicken or whey protein powder.

This is also a pretty good time to take any vitamins or other supplements you take once a day, both because absorbtion is so high and the fast-acting carbs stimulate digestion, so your pills/powders won't sit in your stomach and get broken down by stomach acids.

If it isn't a resistance workout then go protein from a lean source.
  • mikeivb
    mikeivb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Within 10 minutes after my workout I'll have a protein shake and a full meal (dinner) about half an hour after that
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Depending on the workout a boiled egg is quick and easy and so good for you! I boil half a dozn at a time and keep them in the fridge at home and at work. (Gym is at work)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with Tate on this and say that you need to eat right after a workout! I actually think there is a lot of evidence that says you need to eat after a workout.

The greek yogurt is a great choice! I eat that or a protein shake with berries. Lean proteins, nuts. I LOVE skim chocolate milk and it's easy!
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Nice thread! I'm glad the question was raised as I've wondered for a long time.
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Great thread! Bumping for later on tonight!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein smoothie after my workout. 1 cup 1% milk, 1 cup ice, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 banana, 2 tbsp natural peanut butter and 1 or 2 scoops of vanilla protein. Blended until smooth.
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I usually work out at 5.30am so afterwards I have a breakfast of 155g extra lean mince beef xxx
  • Melaniegibson
    Options
    I typically eat a banana and drink a muscle milk light. Along with about 2 bottles of water. I don't know the evidence or proof of needing to eat after a work out, but I work out in the mornings and I am typically hungry by the time I am done.
  • CeciHarper
    Options
    I eat tuna... It's got protein & it really makes me feel fantastic after I work out... I am usually "shakey" afterwords & I posted a similar thread about eating after working out. I will always have something rich in protein afterwords. I will try the skim milk too though as I didnt realize how much protein was in skim milk! =D Good luck!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Here's the basic recipe for my tuna burger:

1 small can of tuna
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup of progresso bread crumbs.

Mix everything together in small bowl while heating a small skillet. I use Pam to grease the pan. Make the mixture into a patty (you could make 2, but I usually just eat it all as 1) and throw it in the skillet on Medium heat. Cook both sides until brown.

It's really up to you what you do with it after it is cooked. I usually throw in some chili powder, cumin, garlic, and black pepper before cooking the patty and then garnish it with some cheese and salsa. Gives it a little southwest flavor.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning. I drink a BSN protein shake and a fruit after a workout.