Cheese

Options
I am trying to change how my family and I eat. I want to get rid of a lot of processed foods and junk that we used to eat. I am totally confused when it comes to cheese. I know that American cheese, velveeta and such are processed cheeses. But what I don't know is what cheeses aren't processed? Should I be getting my cheese from the deli instead of getting it in the refridgerated section of my grocery store? Is any cheese that comes in a bag(shredded or otherwise)processed? I bought mozzeralla today at my grocery store but it was in a package...it wasn't shredded, it was in a ball. But if it is packaged does that mean it is processed?

I hope this post wasn't confusing and any help anyone can give me would be great!

Michelle

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My understanding of this is that cheeses made of milk, salt and rennet are not processed cheeses. (Some cheeses also have herbs/seeds added, like Havarti with dill or caraway).

Processed cheeses include other ingredients (and may make a big deal on the labels about how they now include milk). Some don't need refrigeration, either.

So, cheddar/mozzerella/jack=cheese. Velveta, many cheese spreads (not cream cheese), spray cheese, American cheese=processed.
  • mtizy
    mtizy Posts: 38
    Options
    Choosing mozarella was a good decision, it definitely is the best option when it comes to cheese. Especially the kind that comes in a ball, because it holds the most water and is less dense. As far as it being "processed", I think you're fine as long as you avoid the cheeses you already mentioned, like American, etc. Sorry if I can't be more help, but I just think you are doing a good job getting rid of processed foods in general and as long as you're making the effort, your family will be in good shape.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    american cheese (wrapped slices) and velveeta and spray cheese are what you need to avoid if you don't want processed cheese. On the package it has to be labeled accurately. if it says "processed pasteurized cheese flavored food product" or anything like that, it's bad. If it calls itself cheese, the packaging doesn't matter.

example: I can get cheddar cheese in a solid chunk, in slices, or shredded, but they are all cheddar cheese, and all not processed.