How long til you see some results?

Options
annstan12
annstan12 Posts: 23
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi,

I am 5'6 and 156, and my goal is 135. I had twins last summer so trying to push off those last 20 lbs. I started working out 2 weeks ago and eating 1200 cals a day, most days. I don't do it everyday, but making a conscious effort to be better. How long til I will drop a lb? I think I gained 3 lbs this week. I am running 3-4 miles, 4-5 times per week, or doing elliptical. I don't do light workouts and am always super sweaty and worn out after them. I lost 30 lbs 10 years ago and cant remember how long it took! Also, now 34 years old, so that makes it harder. Any words of encouragement are appreciated!

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the twins!

Are you keeping track of your food and calories even on your heavier eating days. It really helps to track. Have you started drinking more water?

Also, if you are still breast feeding, you should probably clear any diet with your doctor I assume? Not sure as I don't have any children.

Eta: oops sorry. Just caught the words of encouragement. I'm 43 and have already lost 15lbs (took 2 months so far) and I have 5 lbs to go. So you can totally do this. Also, I have not felt deprived in any way. I do not eat diet food. I just cook regular meals and eat them within my calorie limit. Also, I rarely snack. If I do, it's once a day and on fruit or nuts or a small tartine.

Good luck!
  • crazylilrae
    crazylilrae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about bodily changes after having children, but in my experiences, it seemed that my body took a couple of weeks to really acclimate to the change in diet and caloric intake. Keep in mind that with your work out schedule you are most likely watching the scale rise to account for increase in muscle mass. Start measuring your inches and see if you notice a change there. Sounds like you are on the right track, but honestly, I think 1200 calories may be too low for all the excercise you're doing considering your work outs.
  • matthewsism
    Options
    Hi! If you are working it good and making some muscle then you will put on weight. Don't worry about it. You will lose weight too. Just remember that muscle weighs more than fat so putting on weight is normal. I am very impressed with your workout regime. I could no way do that now, maybe never? I bet that before long you will be looking in the mirror admiring yourself and totally forgetting to stand on the scale. Seeing results in your body, in my mind, is much more important than what the scale determines. It is just a scale after all.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weigh and measure everything you eat and drink

eat back your exercise calories

make sure MFP is set to lose 1lb per week (and reduce that to 0.5lb when you have lost 10lbs)

add in some strength/resistance training - you'll look better naked

be patient!
  • FCVFCVFCV
    Options
    Hi,

It takes about 3000 calories to burn a lb. Im pretty sure this is correct unless they changed it? Ha. But I think those are good approximations.

The biggest key-like most things-is persistence. If you fall off, then get back on. For me the toughest thing is not the exercise, I actually enjoy that. What kills me in the diet. And diet is crucial.

I know its a pain, but if you keep meticulous track of your calories, then you will make it a lot easier on yourself and you will see results. In fact, you can answer your own question of how long it will take by looking at your numbers.

Today a caloric deficit of 300 calories, tomorrow 500, the next 700, after that 300....etc...when you hit 3000 calories in deficit, well, there you go. You lost 1 lb of fat.

Good luck, and remember...persistent. Count those calories even if its a pain!

If it was easy, everyone would be as lean as they want to be. But its not easy...its hard..but you can still be as lean as you want to be.

Just put in the work!
  • annstan12
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I measure... I had too much fun at a Mexican Restaurant on Tuesday and measured every last painful calorie. So, I am trying to be good and hold myself accountable. The problem with eating back my cals is that I am always eating them at night. I workout at lunch and it is the only time I can do it bc of the babies! So, I end up having 1000 cals at night which is too much for the evening, so I don't eat them all. They are 15 months now and I work full time. But, I must do this. I have about 100 dresses in my closet that don't fit, and about 10 that do!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It takes about 12 weeks to see a noticeable difference in your body. For the first several weeks, your body will fluctuate as you adjust to the new lifestyle - gaining muscle, water retention etc. You'll likely see a couple pounds drop on the scale before then, but count on 12 weeks to see a real difference overall.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You also need to do strength training. You can't judge how vigorous your exercise is because you are sweaty and tired when done. You need to measure your heart rate and be in the fat burning zone. You can actually exercise too hard and not get the benefit. Take pictures. You can often notice your body change in a picture before the mirror.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It takes about 12 weeks to see a noticeable difference in your body. For the first several weeks, your body will fluctuate as you adjust to the new lifestyle - gaining muscle, water retention etc. You'll likely see a couple pounds drop on the scale before then, but count on 12 weeks to see a real difference overall.

This is pretty much how it worked for me. It took me almost a year to lose 60 pounds while running 25-30 miles a week.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Wouldn't that depend on how much you have to lose? I'm on my 8th week and have lost 15 of the 20lbs. By the 12th week I excpect to be done and in maintenance mode.

I think 3 months can be adequate to safely lose 15-20 lbs if done correctly.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It takes about 3000 calories to burn a lb. Im pretty sure this is correct unless they changed it? Ha. But I think those are good approximations.

3500 calories= 1 lb of fat
  • MattBrouse
    MattBrouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here's my rundown for new clients. Obviously, this is incredibly individual as we all handle behavioral changes differently and we're all also physiologically different. What I recommend is using a variety of METRICS and INDICATORS.

Metrics are objective and measurable. Bodyweight, already on your radar, but a bodyfat estimation, waist and hip measurement will all be very enlightening... especially for when the darn scale doesn't seem to want to budge, changes in other variables can be psychological stabalizers. Other important metrics are weight used, reps performed and total session time. Track all of these things and find small improvement that will, over time, amount to major changes.

Indicators are subjective and observable. Clothes fitting better (will generally correlate to improved circumfrence measurements), more energy throughout the day, feeling strong in activities of daily living... all great feedback even if it isn't "measureable."

The poundage will come with the necesary and intelligent improvements in lifestyle... but there is a lot that needs to change and a lot that we might need to do differently to get there, so let's find small victories in those things.

My typical new basic Fitness Assessment:

Bodyweight
    BMI
    Bodyfat (either BIA or Skinfold, sometimes both)
    Neck
    Shoulder
    Bust
    Waist
    Hip
    Upper Arm
    Thigh
    Calf
    1 Leg Stand
    Squat to box
    Plank Hold
    Push-Up
    And any structural or Functional Movement Screen that I might deem useful.

Odds are, a trainer at your gym will do these things on the comp or as a one time session. Either way, knowing these things even if you only check it ever couple of months can be incredibly useful.

Not to mention any improvements you're seeing in your performance in your training log... these are all assessments. And can all be quite enlightening.

Hopefully this is somewhat clear and helpful.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 years old, mom of 5 kids (youngest is 2), I'm 5'4" and started at 154 lbs. I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD workout. My calorie intake was set at 1200 and I usually ate back about half of my workout calories in the beginning. Personally, I noticed a difference within 2 weeks. By about 3 weeks, my husband could see improvement. Within 6 weeks, I had lost 12 lbs. and really felt good about the results I was seeing. By 2 months, I was doing a double-take when I'd glance at my arms because they didn't even look like my arms!

I can't say enough good things about the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 workout DVDs. They combine a powerful combination of cardio and strength training plus an ab workout - all packed in a workout that takes less than 30 minutes from warm up to cool down! As a mom of two toddlers, I'm sure your time is valuable. The videos are only 10 bucks at Walmart, but I've heard you can find them online for free. Good luck to you!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 5'6 and 156, and my goal is 135. I had twins last summer so trying to push off those last 20 lbs. I started working out 2 weeks ago and eating 1200 cals a day, most days. I don't do it everyday, but making a conscious effort to be better. How long til I will drop a lb? I think I gained 3 lbs this week. I am running 3-4 miles, 4-5 times per week, or doing elliptical. I don't do light workouts and am always super sweaty and worn out after them. I lost 30 lbs 10 years ago and cant remember how long it took! Also, now 34 years old, so that makes it harder. Any words of encouragement are appreciated!

1200 calories on that much exercise? that's not enough. I am 150lbs started at 160. my BMR is 1500. I eat anywhere from 1600-2200 a day depending on exercise. If you are worn out you may be low on iron also-ask your doctor

Check out the message posts on eat more to weight less.
  • annstan12
    Options
    That is what MFP told me to eat! 1200 cals! I eat my workout calories back if I can!
  • reneecooperman
    reneecooperman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know it's hard to stay the course before you notice any results. I'd say don't expect anything for a solid two weeks, in my own personal experience. I noticed people use the phrase, "eating back my calories." I'm not sure what that means, but if it means allowing yourself extra calories because you exercised, I have to say, I never do that. I track my exercise calories for fun, but I don't "eat those calories." I think that a half hour or even an hour of whatever I'm calling exercise (2 mile jog, or 30 min. cardio machine, or hour bike ride) is not really enough to worry about, even if I sweat a lot because, in my own opinion, the human body is just supposed to be moving around some every day anyway. (I do cardio a half hour a day 6 days a week.)

I think people are going to flip when they read me saying something like this because people might be worried that I'm not being careful to fuel my body, but I think I watch my nutrition well. Lots of protein, every meal. I think if I actually want to lose pounds I have to dare to eat about 1200 cal/day even if I do 3 sets of 10 dead lifts with a 20 pound weight ( or a 5K) or, frankly, I think I'd be kidding myself. I've been counting my calories for literally 20 solid years and this is just my own opinion about my own body.

Also, when you subtract out your exercise calories, it does not take into account that you would have been burning at least a few calories anyway during that exercise time just normally. Those regular calories should not be "eaten back." I know it might be a tiny amount . . . but who knows? What if you would have been mowing the lawn or washing the dog? I think regular people like me should probably not quibble about the 200 cal we burned on the rowing machine, but athletes who go for hours a day on the soccer field, well, they should definitely worry about it.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That is what MFP told me to eat! 1200 cals! I eat my workout calories back if I can!

Instead of stopping to eat back exercise calories which will bring you probably under a 1000 a day, which is way too little, why don't you try to use the TDEE -20%/-15% method? -> use this form here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Once you filled out the fields, check below what you should eat to lose. Play around with the exercise-entry to see how much a different light-moderate-heavy exercise make for you.

The crucial difference is that you eat the same amount of calories everyday, whether you workout or not- it is very useful if you do workout regularly. So instead of 1200/day + exercise calories, you eat (let's say) 1500 a day, but not eating back exercise. I am also 5'6 and a little lighter than you,and I eat over 1800 a day. That said, I am younger so chances are yours will be different.

Good: You don't fluctuate in your daily intake, and you don't have to rely on estimates of calories you burnt. Also, you will probably be able to eat more than with the MFP method and still lose.
    Bad: You have to be honest with yourself about your weekly activity levels- if you flunk, your TDEE might come out higher than it is (and thus you will eat too much). Thus, it requires more effort to set up and experiment with.

Edit: Here is the long explanation what TDEE is and how to work with it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

It's great you have little ones, so congratulations are in order there. As a youngster myself, I have no personal experience but my mother was my fitness partner for awhile and I can give you her story.

My mother always complained about her "stubborn weight" and "bad metabolism". But when I wanted to start going to the gym she went with me and did purely cardio work (elliptical, swimming, jogging) for about a 6 weeks before any significant weight ( 5 lbs lost since we started) was lost. At that time she said she noticed a /little/ difference but nothing to write home about.

She didn't notice a huge difference in her clothing until the second month, this is when we were shopping and found out her go-to brand size 12 jeans were far too big. After that though, people started to notice. (I.E. she would get "you look great, have you lost weight" by her co-workers)

So I think it's safe to say that weight loss isn't necessary a guarantee in the first three-four weeks of working out. There are just so many variables at the beginning. But if you are really working hard on eating right and doing enough workouts a week then IGNORE THE SCALE and just concentrate on doing well, the results will follow.
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    There's a good chance you might be building muscle. Check your measurements. Personally: I'd rather loose inches overall than weight!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Wishing you much luck! As a fellow mother of twins (mine are 8 yo now), I feel your pain with work and trying to get back in shape. I also had another child one year after the twins were born and for some reason the weight fell off at that point - I'm thinking it was from breastfeeding...

I have since gained and am trying to get back to that point again. Work, stress, kids and sleep deprivation all come into play. I am now 46 and managing to lose quite steadily over the last 2 months. Heavy exercise will also cause your muscles to retain water as they repair and rebuild, so you can have 2-4 lbs of water weight hanging around at any point in time. Doesn't mean you aren't losing fat, just not seeing it on the scale.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.