Deloading and happiness

Options
I just finished my 27th session, or 9 weeks, on Stronglifts 5x5.

Starting numbers as follows: BW: 170 lbs. Squat 65 lbs. Bench press 65 lbs. OHP 45 lbs. Row 65 lbs. Dead lift 95 lbs.

Current numbers as follows: BW 177 lbs. Squat 175 lbs. Bench press 140 lbs. OHP 85 lbs. Row 125 lbs. Dead Lift 205 lbs.

I was ashamed to start with such "light weight," especially on squat, so I tried to progress too quickly. Fortunately, my knees were absolutely killing me which made me lower the weight and start fresh on squats, working on form. This revelation happened at 110 lbs., I swallowed my pride and went down to 85 lbs to re-work my form. From there til now I have had no trouble progressing every session. The squat was the last lift to fail for me, with OHP being first and early lol. Now having failed all lifts and even having to deload OHP I am quickly approaching a deload on squat, I failed today and Monday. Although today's failure was later in sets I still feel that it is extremely heavy. I am very happy with how far I have come, I mean seriously, from 65 to 175 lbs on squat in 9 weeks, I am not upset in the slightest!

I have my third attempt at squatting 175 lbs 5x5 before having to deload back to 155 lbs. I am going to give it everything I have, however, I will not be deflated by a third fail. The thoughts of going back to 155 lbs. and being able to reign in my form is pleasing as well. I wanted to squat 225 lbs in 12 weeks which is not quite in view right now but I will be very happy when I hit 200 lbs.

Have you ever been happy or relieved with a deload?

PS. I was born a ramblin' man...please do forgive me.

Replies

• michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm about 10 sessions behind you, I started Stronglifts in July though I've been lifting for a few years on split routines before that. I haven't had to deload yet, but I'm very close to failure on the OHP - not sure if I'll make the next one (tomorrow) or not. I'm interested in the any responses to your OP.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Michael - OHP has been a tough one the whole way. When I used to do split routines I always felt so strong in my shoulders, apparently I'm not as strong as I thought lol.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Also, just to add, don't think I'm settling with a deload because I would really like to hit the 225 lbs mark in the next month and deloading isn't going to help me get there on paper. I'm thinking if I do end up having to deload it would be a nice physical and mental break.
  • Ta11asan
    Ta11asan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I failed at 165 monday...im hoping i can make it tonight but im honestly not going upset if i dont. Im still on a big deficit so i know my lifts are going suffer until i can up my calories. Squat was my first to fail but ohp is very close..ill be lucky to not fail tonight at 110.
  • michaelmadonna
    Options
    OHP sucks! I also felt a lot stronger with several other shoulder excersises before I started Stronglifts, it's definately going to be my first to fail. My calorie intake is still at a deficit also, I'm trying to lose another 20-30 lbs and keep as much LBM as I could that's why I switched from my old routines to Stronglifts, I figured it's the best way to keep my strength up as much as possible using all compound lifts. My squat is pretty strong still, I'm finally squatting my body weight (225 the other day and now 230 tomorrow). I've squatted with this much weight before but in my old routine it was only once a week on the dreaded leg day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just want to say congrats on your progress- not just physically but as in becoming a more mature lifter- knowing when to back off- and restart and de-load.

That in and of itself- it's a HUGE accomplishment. You GOT THIS!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Thanks JoRocka! When I start to look at the weight I'm at and think it's not much, I have to remind myself of where I started and realize I am repping these weights a total of 25 times per session (except Dead lift of course).
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    OHP is notorious for being a very slow-to-progress lift. When you push your own bodyweight above your head, it's a day you will enjoy, so keep at it! :bigsmile:

ETA: Do you feel like you could do more on your lifts? If memory serves me, there's no reason why you can't move faster with the weight if you're able to. I went from a 315 squat to a 630 squat in 2 months by going outside of "typical" routine progression.
  • Ta11asan
    Ta11asan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well i managed to get the squat at 165 tonight to my suprise but ohp at 105 stopped me like a brick wall ...pretty confident i know why though. i was on vacation last week and couldnt lift all week. i didn't realize that missing 3 sessions would effect me that much but after failing squats monday then being able to get them tonight with minimum effort (ok i'm exagerating a bit) but it was far easier themn monday night. then not being able to get 1 rep at 105 on ohp after doing 100 on my last session. it must have been the break that set me back even though it was just a week.

I went ahead an deloaded down to 90 on ohp tonight since i couldnt get 1 rep at 105. hopefully in a few weeks i'll get past 105.

Next time i go on vacation though i'm taking my bar and weights with me =p

Tim
  • michaelmadonna
    Options
    OHP is notorious for being a very slow-to-progress lift. When you push your own bodyweight above your head, it's a day you will enjoy, so keep at it! :bigsmile:

ETA: Do you feel like you could do more on your lifts? If memory serves me, there's no reason why you can't move faster with the weight if you're able to. I went from a 315 squat to a 630 squat in 2 months by going outside of "typical" routine progression.

Very impressive squat... I am looking forward to that day that I can push my body weight above my head, surprising to me today I was able to get 145 up for all 5 (about 2/3 of my body weight) and my squat (230) and deadlift (235) were both above my body weight for the first time in this program.

I also didn't start with just the bar as Mehdi suggests but I started farily light for me and did up the progression at greater increments a few times, some bc it was light and some bc my math skills sometimes are a bit lacking and I didn't realize how much I had put on the bar. I'm sure I could lift more weight in the deadlift and squat but at this point I'm not looking to max out or progress too quickly to a failure. This routine rightnow is more of an experiment to me and I'd like to see how the progressive loading goes at the typical increment, particularly with the squat since I've never done it so often in my previous routines.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I don't do strong lifts, but rather 5/3/1, and I cannot stand freaking deload week. It pisses me off and I freaking hate it. How an anyone enjoy ****ing around at the gym? I want to lift heavy.

Dang a whole week of deload? That would suck.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    OHP is going to have the slowest progress and I'd suggest not pushing into it too hard. Form breaks down, muscles get fatigued, then injuries happen.

As you've already hinted at, don't think of it as a deload. Think of it as a chance to focus on form. You can also focus on speed.

Unfortunately for me, I've never found deloads to work. I get stuck at X pounds, deload, then work my way back up, and bam still stick at X pounds. I've been told at the point to vary the routine. Different loads, reps, sets, high-bar/low-bar, etc.

Best of luck.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Dang a whole week of deload?
    I thought deload was supposed to be a full week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me, I've never found deloads to work. I get stuck at X pounds, deload, then work my way back up, and bam still stick at X pounds. I've been told at the point to vary the routine. Different loads, reps, sets, high-bar/low-bar, etc.

I've had a hard time with that with squat. What worked with deadlift didn't work with squat.. but I switched from 5 x 5 to pyramids/drop sets and saw GREAT improvement on the deadlift- sqwuats still sucking wind.

try drop sets maybe? I <3 drop sets...or pyramid progressions- it's nice hitting a PR at the top of a pyramid when you already lifted a bunch of weight- so you know for the 1RP you are past that. :D it's a good thing to keep in the back of your head.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    I was advised to break after 5 weeks and deload for one week to 50% of current load.

My guess is there are different methods of doing this?
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I was referring to the deload required after 3 consecutive failed attempts on SL5x5. After failing squat, for example three sessions in a row, a 10% deload is required and then start working back up from there.