Help! Can't seem to get enough protein

Options

Replies

• littlemissm14
    Options

This PEER-REVIEWED article is a resource for you that looks at a few dietary protein theories and the role they play in weight management and body composition.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509388/?report=classic

veg_runner
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to each so much protein? Excess protein (especially and almost exclusively protein from animal sources) causes liver damage among other things. Optimum range is 5-12%, 15% if you really think you need it even for someone looking to put on muslce. At the end of the day, if you want more muscle, go lift heavy things.

Really................................Really, uuuummmmm no

Well then we should be walking around in a society of body builders then huh? I mean everyone is consuming 15+% of protein in America. You get muscles from lifting heavy things. Not by consuming egregious amounts of protein. Look at gorillas. They eat mostly greens and fruits with some bugs and they could outlift any of us. Not to mention all the other animals that eat not the highest protein diets and are strong as all get out.

I like apples and oranges too. Neither will make me buff.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to each so much protein? Excess protein (especially and almost exclusively protein from animal sources) causes liver damage among other things. Optimum range is 5-12%, 15% if you really think you need it even for someone looking to put on muslce. At the end of the day, if you want more muscle, go lift heavy things.

What the .... are you talking about. for a sedentary adult that is eating at maintenance 10-30% is recommended. For those that workout the amount can be much much higher. Though if you are at 25+% at maintenance or surplus that is probably enough, in a deficit you would need a higher % in order to get the same amount of grams of protein.

Say your maintenance cals are 1800, 25% would be 450 cals or 112grams, now say you are losing weight and want to eat 1400 cals so to get your 112 grams that would be 450 cals from protein (112*4) which would mean your % would have to increase to 32%, just to get the same amount of protein. This is why % for macros suck, better to go by grams and work backward into your %
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sure. Go read "The China Study"
    http://chriskresser.com/rest-in-peace-china-study

This...
    A blogger debunked scientific and peer reviewed research. Don't be so gullible. Go do real research on something and understand it before pulling a website out of a hat of someone who has no credentials and is claiming to disprove a scientific study. Please for your own sake.

Get off your high horse and go read the debate between Campbell and Lauren Cordain (PhD in human nutrition and sports physiology) or Chris Masterjohn's (PhD in human nutrition) critique, cause repeating that "blogger debunked" mantra doesn't really add anything to the discussion. Besides, what does it matter whether it's a blogger? You want to argue, argue with arguments, instead of committing logical fallacies.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Well then we should be walking around in a society of body builders then huh? I mean everyone is consuming 15+% of protein in America. You get muscles from lifting heavy things. Not by consuming egregious amounts of protein. Look at gorillas. They eat mostly greens and fruits with some bugs and they could outlift any of us. Not to mention all the other animals that eat not the highest protein diets and are strong as all get out.

First the China Study, and now you're comparing humans to gorillas.

Jz4dFat.jpg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    the ratio of cals to protein for some shakes is damn good.

mine are 30gr protein to 140cals. not bad.

also, looking forward to how the humans compared to nonhumans debate turns out. lulz
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Sperm.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    also, looking forward to how the humans compared to vegans debate turns out. lulz

Me too. And IFYP.
  • brower47
    Options
    Sperm.

Not true. It's mostly carbs. Someone has been lying to you.:flowerforyou:
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options

And mind you, he's a runner. So if bodybuilders should look to gorillas for nutritional tips and tricks, then following that logic veg_runner should eat like cheetahs. I'm sure they can outrun him.
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options

And mind you, he's a runner. So if bodybuilders should look to gorillas for nutritional tips and tricks, then following that logic veg_runner should eat like cheetahs. I'm sure they can outrun him.

I think I have a new girl crush.
  • brower47
    Options

I think I have a new girl crush.

Me too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Excellent
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    First to OP: Fish, lean meats, chicken breasts, protein shakes (you seem to have enough calories to handle two shakes and still make it work for you if you want to go that route). Also, increasing stuff like greek yogurt and protein enriched "snacks" help as well.

Second...gorillas are jacked because of genetics. They are born jacked. If they had any control over it, then there would be some gorillas that weren't jacked...those that skip leg day and such.

Third...In on girl crushes.
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    I had this problem and I started eating chicken breast and turkey breast which are packed with high protein and almost no carbs. Same with tuna. You could always drink a protein shake or even protein bars if you are still struggling. Meat, cheese and eggs are your best bet for intaking more protein into your diet.

x
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

thread winner.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

"Excess" protein by most studies starts well above 30%... not 5-12%. Do you have studies to back up your "optimum" numbers that aren't biased? Could you post them please.

Sure. Go read "The China Study" which is a that study examined more than 350 variables of health and nutrition with surveys from 6,500 adults in more than 2,500 counties across China and Taiwan, and conclusively demonstrates the link between nutrition and heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. It goes into what the optimal amount of protein is to eat among the multitude of other topics it covers about health. It's a book EVERYONE who is cares about their health should read. And T. Colin Campbell started out with the diametrical opposite view and used to espouse and tout protein and animal foods in his early days, so it's definitely not biased in anyway. If you don't want to read a book, watch some lectures of his on YouTube.
    WHO (World Health Organization) recommends 5% of protein for men and women (which includes a safety buffer too).
    Common sense argument too. When do we grow the most and fastest out of any other period of our life? When we are infants. What do we eat at that time? Mother's milk. What is the protein content of human breast milk? 5-6%. We really only NEED 2.5% but unless you are eating a bunch of fractured foods like oils or refined sugars you will automatically get at least 5-10% consuming a variety of plant foods. Problems arise when we go above that level which most of Western civilization has adopted which is a diet of kings and queens and look how we have turned out. Fat and sick like the kings and queens were from eating all of that rich food 24/7. I could go on but I digress. The information is out there. If you want other books/studies/authors, check out Dr. McDougall, Dr. Essylstyn, Dr. Neal Barnard, and Dr. Dean Ornish come off the top of my head. Great places to start.

Retrospective cohort study is a pile of poo.

Ok, the study is an interesting collection of information and data and yet the conclusions written by Campbell are certainly biased and really off base.

Someone has spent months doing the analysis.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

If you can't read it, read at least the last three paragraphs
    n sum, “The China Study” is a compelling collection of carefully chosen data. Unfortunately for both health seekers and the scientific community, Campbell appears to exclude relevant information when it indicts plant foods as causative of disease, or when it shows potential benefits for animal products. This presents readers with a strongly misleading interpretation of the original China Study data, as well as a slanted perspective of nutritional research from other arenas (including some that Campbell himself conducted).

In rebuttals to previous criticism on “The China Study,” Campbell seems to use his curriculum vitae as reason his word should be trusted above that of his critics. His education and experience is no doubt impressive, but the “Trust me, I’m a scientist” argument is a profoundly weak one. It doesn’t require a PhD to be a critical thinker, nor does a laundry list of credentials prevent a person from falling victim to biased thinking. Ultimately, I believe Campbell was influenced by his own expectations about animal protein and disease, leading him to seek out specific correlations in the China Study data (and elsewhere) to confirm his predictions.

It’s no surprise “The China Study” has been so widely embraced within the vegan and vegetarian community: It says point-blank what any vegan wants to hear—that there’s scientific rationale for avoiding all animal foods. That even small amounts of animal protein are harmful. That an ethical ideal can be completely wed with health. These are exciting things to hear for anyone trying to justify a plant-only diet, and it’s for this reason I believe “The China Study” has not received as much critical analysis as it deserves, especially from some of the great thinkers in the vegetarian world. Hopefully this critique has shed some light on the book’s problems and will lead others to examine the data for themselves.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Lol at the idea that The China Study is "real research."
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I could understand vegetarian/veganism for ethical/religious reasons.. but seriously shaking head at the China Study...:noway:
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like you're getting more than enough.