Thirst

Options
Are any of you guys experiencing increadable thirst. I drink a good 3- 3 1/2 gallons of water a day plus three cups of black coffee. My doctor said my sugar test was in normal range. I drink at least a gallon during work outs, which I do every day. I used to drink lots of diet soda but don't like it anymore. Just water and unsweetened tea and coffee. Is it possible to drink to much water or am I just worrying about nothing. Thanks peeps

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It's possible to drink too much water.

Have you had your electrolyte levels checked? Are you intaking enough sodium and potassium?
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    While I don't drink as much as you (usually 20-30) cups of water a day, there are certainly days that I feel like no amount of water is going to make it better. I have had everything checked and all the labs came back fine. I have always drank a lot of water so it is not something new for me. Have you always drank this much water or is this a new thing?

To answer your question, yes you can drink too much water. *I think* it become a problem when you throw your electrolyte balance off and your sodium levels become too low. I assume if you are taking in a decent amount of sodium it will balance out and you should be okay. I would just judge by how you feel.
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

it is possible to hurt yourself, even die, from drinking too much water. On January 12, 2007, Jennifer Strange, a 28-year-old woman and a mother of three, from Rancho Cordova, California, was found dead in her home by her mother, hours after trying to win one of Nintendo's Wii game consoles. KDND 107.9 "The End" radio station's "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest, involved drinking large quantities of water without urinating. A nurse called the radio station to warn them about the danger in which they were putting people, but the disc jockeys rejected the warnings. Lucy Davidson, the winner of the contest, was severely sickened while picking up her prize. Civil charges against the radio station were filed by Jennifer's family,[20] and the family was eventually awarded $16.5 million in the ensuing wrongful death lawsuit.

drinking that much really depends on how much you sweat. if you are losing a MASSIVE amount of water through sweat and regular insensible losses (breathing out water vapor and whatnot), then yes a gallon during a workout is perfectly fine, so long as you get your salts back too.

from personal experience as a heavy sweater I can suck down a full 64 ounces while working out, and then another 64 after just to make the thirst go away. so your gallon I would say is perfectly fine.

now after you have worked out, maybe a few hours later, or even the next day, are you getting muscle cramps. if you are, its a tell tale sign that your salts are low.
  • Kyler_Daniels
    Options
    Thanks guys I do sweat a lot. I have always drank a lot but it was junk drinks like diet sodas. I will defiantly track my salts and up them some. That's a worry of my mind thank again for the info. You guys rock.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    The only other 2 conditions i can think of are:
    *potomania, a psychiatric disorder which makes sufferers drink anything and everything. Even harmful cleaning supplies. (Not you!)
    *diabetes insipedus. You might want to talk to your doctor about it next time you get a health check. Just to make sure you don't have that condition either.
  • Kyler_Daniels
    Options
    Ya I just had blood work drawn yesterday to test for diabetes. I go next week to find out the results

All my blood glucose levels came back normal. But with the thirst thing she wanted to be sure.