Need some urgent advice...

Options
Hi Everyone,

I was in a car accident last year, thought it was only a muscle but then now when I went for xrays we saw my lower back got badly hurt and some of my nerve endings is catching a bit. The Dr said I can only do Pilates.

Could someone maybe tell me how good is Pilates for you? I love my running and bicycling! That is a no for me now :( Is there anything else I can do to get the heart pumping and help me lose weight? I know nothing about Pilates.

Kind regards
Surette

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor and don't overthink things !!!
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Pilates is fantastic! I did it for a semester in college. It's sort of like Yoga, but more intense. It was developed by Joseph Pilates originally to help war amputee victims. He saw that these people would lay in a hospital bed, waiting for their prosthetic, and lose all kinds of muscle. When they finally got their prosthetic, they would often lack the core strength to hold themselves up. So, Pilates originated as a way these people could build and maintain strength despite their limitations.

(this is what I learned from said class)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Depends on the instructor, I've found one that is a killer. Ask around and you'll find one that works for you.
  • anaanti
    anaanti Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Can you go for a long walks? Or maybe swimming?
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Callanetics is amazing, particularly for people with damaged backs. If you do it right you will sweat and can loose inches all over… I would highly recommend. Classes are on in some areas (I am in the UK) and you can pick up various DVD’s on amazon or ebay. Good luck! :wink:
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love Pilates as well. It is a great workout that focuses on the core and effects all the body through the different movements. I would relax and try it. You will be surprised at what a good workout it is.
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    I find Pilates is amazing. I started by going to a studio where they use Pilates machines and took private instruction using them. The instructors took a lot of time to explain body function. I was walking all wrong. Favouring the parts that hurt meant I was doing myself injury elsewhere. It was really interesting to learn.

I now go to Pilates mat classes informed which I think protects me against injuring myself again.

Once you are on your way you can increase the intensity to achieve some really tough workouts if you want.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    While it is like yoga, I would argue that one is more intense than the other. What they attempt to accomplish are very different.

Pilates concentrates on building a healthy body from a strong core, which is not the same as having strong abs,, so you're initial practice will be building that first. Do small classes if you can, not mass classes at the gym, because it's very important to get the moves right.

Pilates can transform your life if you have back problems. It is very challenging if done correctly and should not be considered a consolation prize in terms of exercise. Just be sure to find a good teacher.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pilates is fantastic! I did it for a semester in college. It's sort of like Yoga, but more intense. It was developed by Joseph Pilates originally to help war amputee victims. He saw that these people would lay in a hospital bed, waiting for their prosthetic, and lose all kinds of muscle. When they finally got their prosthetic, they would often lack the core strength to hold themselves up. So, Pilates originated as a way these people could build and maintain strength despite their limitations.

(this is what I learned from said class)

Thank you for posting this!
  • marshall_lovee
    Options
    look up blogilates or pop pilates, it's amazing seriously. love it.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    They have pilates videos in the fitnessblender.com
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Pilates was developed by Joseph Pilates. During World War 1, he was interred in England because he was German. While he was interred he developed his exercise system and began using it with other detainees who were invalids, or had back injuries, or who had been laid up in bed for months at a time, with little exercise at all. They needed a way to get reconditioned. He realized they had weak core muscles, so much of pilates still focuses on those. Core muscles support your back.
    So . . . you should be fine doing Pilates. Sounds like your doctor made an excellent suggestion. Also, it can be as gentle, or as rigorous as you want, depending on the class, instructor, program you choose.
    I think you should give it a try.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease. My back is really messed up. So on days I feel great I swim, walk, do Pilates and you can even do the elliptical, recumbent bike, basically any low impact exercise.

I used to be a runner too and i used to spin but spin hurts my back a bit so I don't do it anymore.

When I do get back spasms I just rest and ease back into exercising.

If doing Pilates I would recommend doing it with an instructor than a video at first so the instructor can correct you on your form and work with you on your back.