Weight training= no weight loss? Confused

Options
Okay. I decided to begin strength training this week and have done two rounds so far. Abs and upper body day 1 and day 2 was legs and abs again. I also do cardio nearly every single day.

I am confused though because I have seen a few threads that say you can't build muscle and loss weight at the same time. I understand that muscle weighs more than fat so there are sometimes gains at the beginning but that your body's shape becomes slimmer. However, these posts seemed to imply that you can only build muscle while "bulking" (shaky on the meaning of this term) and you can only lose weight while 'cutting".

Can someone help me out with understanding what these terms mean and how it might effect my weight loss/muscle building efforts?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Building muscle requires an energy (calorie) surplus. It takes a lot of energy (calories) just to maintain LBM...it takes even more to actively build that tissue. To "bulk" means to eat at a surplus of calories in order to actively build muscle...after a bulk cycle, boby builders "cut"...or "diet" to cut the inevitable fat that comes with bulking muscle.

You can't build substantial muscle at a calorie deficit (some noobie gains maybe...possibly), but you can maintain what you have, thus maintaining your basal metabolic capacity. You can build muscle very, very, very, very....very slowly at maintenance and also very, very, very, very...very slowly cut fat...but it's very slow.

Most people see a hault and/or slowing of loss on the scale because lifting weights tears your muscles to shreds...they have to repair themselves...to do so requires a lot of water...so you retain a lot of water for muscle repair when you lift.

Also, what program are you doing...if you're strength training, you'll want to follow an acutal program to get the most benefit from your lifts. Just willy nilly lifting random weights and working random body parts...and in particular, doing a lot of isolation and assistance work is going to be far less effective than following an actual program that puts emphasis on full body compound lifts...where you do assistance work to actually assist those lifts. Most noobs who go in without a plan ignore the all important compound lifts and just do assistance work...not that they're not getting any benefit, but really a very inefficient way to go about it and you could be infinitely more productive.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You're saying I can't become toned and build muscle at a calorie deficit right? If that is what you're saying than how can I lose my extra weight while building muscle mass?
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You're saying I can't become toned and build muscle at a calorie deficit right? If that is what you're saying than how can I lose my extra weight while building muscle mass?

but there is more to it, see if you lose fat while exercising, that lost fat will uncover the muscle you have, weights/ resistance helps maintain the muscle you have while you lose the fat, so you end up looking more muscular when the fat is gone- make sense? you currently have muscle, so to not lose it you need resistance training, but right now the muscle is covered up by fat layers, when you lose extra weight (and fat) you will then see the muscle but if you don't do any resistance training you lose both muscle and fat (not just fat)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You won't gain any measurable muscle mass while on a deficit. You can see significant strength gains though.

Lifting while on a deficit is recommended because it helps retain muscle while losing fat. Ultimately, fat loss is what 99% of people really not, not just simple scale weight loss.

The initial weight gain people talk about is from water weight. Your body will balance it out in time.

On a side note... you shouldn't be lifting to lose weight. You should be eating correctly. Use your diet to control your weight, exercise to improve overall health, get faster/stronger, and change how you look.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

You become "toned" by weight training in a caloric deficit so you maintain your muscle mass while you lose the fat that covers it.

You won't gain any measurable muscle mass while on a deficit. You can see significant strength gains though.

Lifting while on a deficit is recommended because it helps retain muscle while losing fat. Ultimately, fat loss is what 99% of people really not, not just simple scale weight loss.

The initial weight gain people talk about is from water weight. Your body will balance it out in time.

On a side note... you shouldn't be lifting to lose weight. You should be eating correctly. Use your diet to control your weight, exercise to improve overall health, get faster/stronger, and change how you look.

thread/
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

The point of weight training while eating at a deficit is to minimize the amount of muscle you lose, something that will always happens when eating at a deficit. The body simply uses what stored energy it can (both muscle and fat) when it's not getting what it needs from your calorie takes.

Hypertrophy (bigger muscles) is not possible at a deficit but strength gains are possible. Increased strength does not have to correlate to bigger muscles. Reducing muscle loss is possible while eating at a deficit if you incorporate weight training into your exercise program. The 'toned' you're looking for has little to do with gaining muscle at this point and far more to do with shedding excess adipose tissue (fat) that surrounds those muscles. If you retain muscle (using weight training) and reduce body fat % (through a calorie deficit) you will get that toned look when you reach or are near your goal weight.

The lack of weight loss is nothing to worry about in the early stages of weight training. The muscles need water to repair, hence the weight gain or lack of weight loss. Once they are better accustomed to your new routine, they will shed that water and you will see the weight come off. However, also be careful that you aren't overestimating how many calories your weight sessions burn, a common mistake.

Please don't let lack of weight loss keep you from lifting. You will be much happier with your end results if you keep up with it. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Just basically going to reiterrate what others have stated here. You're not going to build muscle mass at a calorie deficit. You're going to maintain what muscle mass you have. As you lose fat due to your calorie deficiency (from your diet...i.e. "cut") that muscle you already have will start to show...thus leaving you with a "toned" look. In the absence of resistance training while dieting, your body will utilize muscle for fuel as well as your fat...so you will see the scale drop, but your body composition will not be what most people are looking for because they are losing a lot of muscle and remaint at a higher BF% despite dropping scale weight.
  • amyballenger
    amyballenger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I've been weight training for about 3 months now and have not lost anything on the scale. I do my routine about 3 times a week. 4 if I can. I also try and do some cardio about 3-4 times a week usually after I lift.

However, I've lost inches and can see a huge difference in my body. I still try and stay round 1200 calories per day, but I try and eat 95 grams of protein on workout days. (per the trainer at the gym) I'm told it's because I'm replacing the fat with muscle. So even if my "weight" hasn't changed, I've lost body fat which is great in my book!

In short, not losing weight, but definitely looking better and better and smaller and smaller. Try not to focus on that weight number, but how you look and feel.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Okay. I decided to begin strength training this week and have done two rounds so far. Abs and upper body day 1 and day 2 was legs and abs again. I also do cardio nearly every single day.

I am confused though because I have seen a few threads that say you can't build muscle and loss weight at the same time. I understand that muscle weighs more than fat so there are sometimes gains at the beginning but that your body's shape becomes slimmer. However, these posts seemed to imply that you can only build muscle while "bulking" (shaky on the meaning of this term) and you can only lose weight while 'cutting".

Can someone help me out with understanding what these terms mean and how it might effect my weight loss/muscle building efforts?

If you are just starting, they will mean absolutely nothing and they will have no effect. The best thing would be to forget you ever heard these terms and just work on your lifting.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Can I be the first to point out that muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound.
    It is more dense, yes - which means more packed into smaller space. Ie...you could weigh 135 lbs, have a low body fat % and look very fit...or at the same weight, have a HIGHER body fat % and LOOK heavier ...

This is why focusing on INCHES more than the scale is going to be more beneficial to you in the long run.
  • YouAreYourChoices
    YouAreYourChoices Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In short, not losing weight, but definitely looking better and better and smaller and smaller. Try not to focus on that weight number, but how you look and feel.

I hate this... this is what happens every time I do circuit training or mix in weight lifting with cardio.. I know I look better but when you have 50+ pounds to lose (in my case 100+) its hard to be happy with the scale not moving even if you are looking smaller.
  • RGv2
    Options

I hate this... this is what happens every time I do circuit training or mix in weight lifting with cardio.. I know I look better but when you have 50+ pounds to lose (in my case 100+) its hard to be happy with the scale not moving even if you are looking smaller.

If you're getting smaller, the scale will eventually move.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

If you are just starting, they will mean absolutely nothing and they will have no effect. The best thing would be to forget you ever heard these terms and just work on your lifting.

+1
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    Lift while you lose weight, simple as that, if you feel you don't have enough muscle when you lose the fat, then eat at a low surplus like 200-300 calories over maintenance for a few months, then cut fat again, it's really that simple.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Can I be the first to point out that muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound.
    It is more dense, yes - which means more packed into smaller space.

I'm afraid you can't be the first.

Can I be the first to point out that rocks don't weigh more than water. A pound is a pound. They are more dense, yes...

I had to.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Can I be the first to point out that by this logic, you could not say that a concrete bricks weigh more than Styrofoam bricks. After all, a pound of concrete is the same as a pound of Styrofoam.

What is assumed in both cases is that we are talking about equal physical sizes and their respective densities.

You might note that I did not say how many bricks of each kind, nor how many, but it would be a valid assumption that I was speaking of equal numbers of equal sized bricks. And thus it is with muscle weighing more than fat.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Okay. I am eating at a deficit. I am not using weight training to lose weight but to maintain muscle. I should have said in the beginning that I am not trying to bulk up but to gain strength (as was said by other posters.) I will continue with strength training and recording my inches. I might not build big muscles but I will reveal a more slim, toned body as I shed the fat layers. Thanks for everyone's help!
  • RGv2
    Options
    Okay. I am eating at a deficit. I am not using weight training to lose weight but to maintain muscle. I should have said in the beginning that I am not trying to bulk up but to gain strength (as was said by other posters.) I will continue with strength training and recording my inches. I might not build big muscles but I will reveal a more slim, toned body as I shed the fat layers. Thanks for everyone's help!

Just so it's out there, you can't "bulk up" unless you're supplementing with roids. Females don't have the level of testosterone that men do in order to build that kind of muscle mass. Plus, it just doesn't come that easy.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can read this when I have more time. Great question OP. I have been wondering the same thing.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    :smile: