Plateau at 49 Pounds!!!!

Options
Hello. I've reached a pleateau at 49 pounds - very frustrating. (I didn't find out about MFP until later which is why it says 31 pounds lost.) What did you do different to move past the your standstill? Thanks!

Replies

• manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you haven't researched your TDEE its a good start....

Common problems that cause Plateau's so I've read

1. Eating to much not moving enough...
    2. Eating to less moving to much....
    3. Not drinking enough water

Another good tip if your not start lifting weights... I've been at a plateau for a long time about 2 months. However my body comp is continuing to change. Take pics and measurements to go by other things than the scale.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so it's hard to give any advice when we can't see what you're already doing. Make sure you're logging your food and exercise accurately. Are you weighing/measuring everything? Are you using a heart rate monitor to track your calorie burns during exercise?

Finding your TDEE and BMR is a good start to figuring out if your calorie goals are appropriate. There are a lot of online calculators for this, like this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking everything since I joined MFP. I unlocked my diary - I'm a creature of habit. I think I'm doing too many carbs and sodium so I'm looking at ways to cut back on that, but any other suggestions are appreciated. I do measure also, but can't really get alot of things that I would like to be able to measure my heatbeat, calories, burned etc.. Thanks!
  • ticklepocket
    ticklepocket Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 49 pound loss! That is awesome!

I also hit a plateau at about 50 pounds lost. I had been losing very quickly and got discouraged when the weight loss stalled. In my depressed condition I fell for the "eat more weigh less" nonsense and actually started to gain.

At that point summer was starting with lots of tempting social stuff so I made the decision to put my diet on hold for a while to see if I could actually maintain my weight loss.

Everyone had told me again and again that my 1200 calorie diet would cause immediate weight gain as soon as I stopped dieting because they felt I was learning nothing about healthy eating.

I went off my diet for 4 months, just eating healthy, continuing light exercise and enjoying the summer. During this time I not only did not gain any of the weight back, I actually lost an additional 5 lbs from my previous low.

This taught me that my 1200 calorie diet had indeed trained me to eat healthy, that my weight loss was sustainable and that my body (and spirit) probably just needed a little time to get adjusted. The break from the diet also gave my body a chance to tighten up the loose skin. Plus I had a great summer!

So my advice is to not panic. Whatever you were doing before was working and it will probably work again when you are ready for it. My guess is that you probably just need a break.

I bet you look great after your 50 pound loss so show it off and enjoy the compliments for a while. Listen to your body and it will tell you when it is time to start pushing again.

Congrats again and best wishes!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i love the post above me! so positive~
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i love the post above me! so positive~

I agree!
  • nedtoloseme
    nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I needed that!
  • Ryan__V
    Ryan__V Posts: 36
    Options
    So my advice is to not panic. Whatever you were doing before was working and it will probably work again when you are ready for it.
    SOLID ADVICE!

Sometimes we get too worried and start throwing solutions at our program when there isn't a problem.

Other than making sure your calories and water consumption are in line, to quote Walt Disney: "Keep moving forward!"
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Change your work outs a bit. If you are walking, increase your distance or intensity, or do some strength training or try running. After age 50 it sometimes take a change in routine to get our bodies over a hump. Since you are eating well and sticking to your calorie allotment, there is not much you can do there, so shake up your exercise routine and see if that gets things moving again. It is frustrating, but hang in there. 49 came off and so will the rest! :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!