When math and logic fail (weight gain)

Options
Over the last 4 weeks, I created a 10,970 calorie deficit. At 3500 calories/pound, I should have lost 3.13 by the end of the 4-week period.

I gained 3 pounds.

That's more than 6 pound swing in the wrong direction. This all but confirms my life long suspicion that there is something fundamentally wrong with my stupid body.

end rant. :indifferent:

Replies

• sr_erick
    sr_erick Posts: 25
    Options
    1) It could be attributed to water weight (have you been exercising?)
    2) You are not correctly counting what you are eating, and underestimating the amount of calories you are consuming per day.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I read a blog in here one time and the blogger said that our bodies are too complex to fit weight loss into a linear equation of calories in versus calories out. The bottom line of the blog was eat a deficit, eat a deficit, eat a deficit and one day your scale will surprise you and go down. Weight loss is done in whooshes. I have seen several whooshes of weight loss over the last 6 months. Right now I am eating at a deficit and the scale is staying in the same range. But i know that in time it will drop.

Be persistent. And Be patient.
  • lazykerry
    lazykerry Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    2) You are not correctly counting what you are eating, and underestimating the amount of calories you are consuming per day.

1. I exercise 6 days per week, but nothing strenuous. I do a 30-minute DVDs (pilates or light weight training) 6 days per week and add a 3-mile run to that 3-4 days per week.
    2. I am counting my calories as best as I can. It's not 100% accurate, but I'd have to have been off by 22,000 to account for the 3 pound gain
    Be persistent. And Be patient.
    I'm trying, thanks! (If only because I'm terrified of how much I'd gain if I weren't eating at a deficit. Ugh.)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

This
  • sr_erick
    sr_erick Posts: 25
    Options
    If you started exercising at the same time you started watching what you eat, it could simply be your body's response, your muscles storing more energy / fluid to get through your exercise routine. Give it more time, and as someone else said, be patient and stick to it, it will happen sooner or later.