10 Minute Healthy Dinner!

Options
austindperry
austindperry Posts: 20 Member
Here is a quick and easy meal idea for those on the run. This is great serving sizes for two people and can be adjusted for one.

At the beginning of the week I buy 5 chicken breasts around 5oz each. At the beginning of each day I take one out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge. When I get home from work I take it out and put it in a plastic baggie. In this plastic baggie I marinade the chicken with my favorite Lawrie's marinades (Hawaiian, teriyaki, etc.) This only takes 30 minutes while you get your afternoon workout session in ;) (hopefully ).

After the chicken has marinaded (I don't count this in the recipe time because I do other things) I pan fry the breast on the stove. The chicken breast takes about 10 minutes until it is done.

During this 10 minutes, I microwave 1 package of Uncle Ben's 90 second rice. I usually go for the brown rice as a healthy option. These pouches only take 90 seconds and make delicious rice! After this is done microwaving I put in either a can of green beans, lima beans, or peas. I usually use canned veggies but frozen or fresh work as well. All of this is easy to manage and extremely easy. Within 10 minutes I have teriyaki chicken, brown rice, green beans, possibly a piece of fruit and a glass of water. I never get tired of this meal just by mixing up the marinade flavors, rice types, and veggies.

Please post any other quick meal ideas your have. I am especially looking for more healthy sides to eat with my chicken and veggies!

Keep up the good work MFP friends!

Replies

• Dawn_2013
    Options
    Thanks for the great idea! My quickie recipe is grilled chicken and veggie shishkebobs. Fire up the BBQ and they are done in 20 minutes! I marinate the chicken too, but in a herb de provence and olive oil mix. I usually avoid carbs in the evening as I have them for breakfast and lunch :bigsmile: also, 'bread' is my weakness whether in the form of a fresh baguette or chocolate cake :noway:

Since my resolve is less powerful in the evenings...I try to load up on veggies. I love brown rice and brown with wild rice though....Costco has a wild rice blend...you would :love: it!!
  • ppennington
    Options
    Gonna try this tomorrow. Thanks for the post. Now try this...............take a low carb, whole wheat tortilla (Mission Brand) and pan brown it. Then add a tablespoon or two of pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce and add what ever toppings you like ( I used turkey Itaian sausage, oregano, onions and cherry tomatoes from my garden) and add low fat motzorella cheese and bake it for about 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Really good, fast and HEALTHY.
  • austindperry
    austindperry Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't have a grill but the veggie shishkabobs sound great! I think I may need to focus on getting more raw veggies at night instead of the carb heavy rice every night of the week. I have never heard of herb de provence with the olive oil but it sounds like a better option than the marinades I use. Thanks :)

The tortilla idea sounds great! Easy and affordable I can definitely handle it as a guy (limited kitchen skills lol). I'm thinking it would be really good with barbeque chicken (can you tell I love chicken? haha). I'm thinking the low fat cheese is the hardest part to limit because I love cheese but I can't stop eating it completely.

Thanks for the idea!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Love this idea...
    I've got one twist on it though, before I put the chicken into the freezer...

1) I separate single serving portions into small plastic containers,

2) then I pour my marinate on it then pop it in the freezer.
    It marinates while freezing and while defrosting.

3) the plastic containers are a little more earth friendly because
    I pop them in the dishwasher top rack and use them over and over

4) the plastic containers stack more neatly in the freezer
    and less likely to leak than bags.
  • :tongue:
  • xcbballuver
    Options
    tag
  • freemanamy22
    Options
    Bump!