Too much protein?

Options
Hi MFP friends!

Quick question. I have noticed that I keep going over my protein goal by a significant amount. I drink protein shakes, eat eggs for breakfast, and snack on almonds. All of these have high amounts of protein. Should I cut down on the amount I consume? Does my body need more the more I work out? Just want to make sure my body is healthy and balanced. Any information you have would be more than welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• mmmpink
    Options
    Don't cut back, you need the protein, especially if you're working out and strength training.
  • daxa_yen
    daxa_yen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey,

you can adjust your protein/carb/fat amounts manually. Do you want to loose/gain or keep on your present weight? All of these have different recommended amounts of those three compounds. I, for example, have my daily income adjusted to 45% of proteins, 30% carbs and 25% fat... wanna loose weight without loosing muscles... so you have to set your goal at first...
  • Tayx7
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. MFP gives me like 60g of protein daily but another site (based on my exercise) said that i should be getting at least 159g of protein. You'll need the protein when working out or doing strength training. Plus, protein builds muscle and muscle burns fat. If I were a guy, I'd probably need 200-300g of protein to even bulk up a little.
  • austindperry
    austindperry Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Awesome feedback! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going overboard with 180g a day. I also figured that with an intense lifting regimen it is vital to get enough protein.

Thanks all!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Most of the magazine articles that I've read seem to recommend at least 1 gram of protein per pound of your target body weight body weight, and some articles recommend 1.5 to 2 grams per pound. I weigh 239 lbs and am aiming for 200 lbs, and I do a lot of weight training, so I usually consume 250-300 grams of protein daily, sometimes more.
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Here's an honest and easy rule of thumb.

If you are eating more protein than your body can use, you will pass a LOT of gas.

If not, don't worry about it.
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein each day - about 200g. Honestly it's not bad for you especially if you are working out and wanting to build on muscle xxx
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The easiest number to quickly come up with is around your body weight in g of protein a day. There are about 200 reasons why you want more than the 10-15% that is typically recommended at a quick google search will show them up. I typically range from 170g-225g a day of protein.

Carbs vs. Fat for the remainder of your daily intake is a whole other argument :)
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The protein gas question is a strange one. If you are eating high protein and high carbs - then sadly, yes. Tons of gas, but for some reason - which I will research more, if you eat high protein/high fat with low to no carbs, then no gas. I wonder why that is...