I feel like I can eat the world

Options
I've been struggling with extreme hunger for the past 2 weeks, and it's really making it difficult to stay on track. When I'm hungry, junk food (barbecue potato chips and sweets like cakes or poptarts) become almost too tempting to resist.

I was doing VERY well with tracking my food (on Sparkpeople) for several weeks. I got a little off track during the last week of July, but I was expecting that between vacation and a trip into NYC. I still kept up with my walking, but after spending a full month working out 7 days a week, I decided to let my body rest from any other workouts.

I jumped right back on track, and I cleaned up my diet significantly. Previously, my lunches and dinners consisted of boxed macaroni and cheese (Annie's Homegrown- mixed with 100% whole wheat and other veggies), frozen chicken nuggets, pre-sauced frozen vegetables, and other processed convenience foods. When I got back on track, my meals consisted of fresh or PLAIN frozen vegetables and plain chicken, fish, pork, and other protein options. Rather than relying on processed foods, I started cooking more.

And I got hungrier. So much so that I completely gave in and started binging.

My calorie burn hasn't gone up by much. Maybe 50-100 calories per workout at most (and se. I also increased my calorie intake which more than compensates for that extra little burn. I also know it isn't female hormonal issues as my TOM was during my vacation week.

The ONLY thing I think it might be is that even though my workout calorie burn hasn't increased in the workouts (I wear a HRM by the way), the strength training has gotten a lot more intense (I went from Sparkpeople's Coach Nicole to Jillian Michaels). Even on strength training days, I wasn't getting sore before. Could it possibly be that with increasing my strength training, it's my afterburn that is causing me to be hungrier? Could my calorie burn have increased a lot more than I think it has?

I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out.

Replies

• Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer.

Are you eating mostly veggies and protein? Any whole grain type carbs? Are you eating enough or starving yourself?

I'm short and in my fifties so the 1200 calorie rule doesn't work for me. I have to eat closer to 1000 calories to see any weight loss. You are young so I assume that isn't a problem for you.

I sure hope others chime in and can be of more help.

Stay strong. You will get this figured out. :smile:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I would recommend making sure you are eating lots of protein and fats with each meal that will keep you full.

For instance, my typical lunch would be an omelet and some fruit. I ate a pretty large volume of food but i was always about 3 hours later.

The other day I ate a candy bar for lunch and wasn't hungry for 6-7 hours. (I'm not suggesting eating a candy bar for lunch :P)

The point is when you're eating too lean, it's harder to stay full. Now by adding a little bit of oil to my omelet and having a protein shake instead of fruit, I have been staying full a lot longer.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    eat foods with high fiber.. they will fill you up more. Fruits are high in fiber

example: with your protein and veggies have whole grain rice. you will definitely feel full!
  • mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Since you are actually tracking your food on a different place, it's kind of hard to offer advice. But here goes....Try eating a protein with every meal...even snacks, but only a 1/2 portion with snacks. Proteins help to keep you feeling full. Personally I eat 3 main meals and 3 snacks a day, and I eat about every 3 hours, give or take. There ARE going to be days when you're just HUNGRY...especially in the beginning, so try to include a LOT of fresh veggies that are low in calories, so that you can have more "bulk" to your meals. Also REALLY watch the sodium intake, and try to add very little if any salt. You would be AMAZED at how much sodium is in EVERYTHING. So keep making as much fresh food as you possibly can. Also, make sure you've calculated the amount of calories that you SHOULD be eating every day. Maybe they are too low? Eat back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories too. Ok...that's about all I can give advice about...hope it helped...somewhat?

Take care.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Where do you log your food? It's hard to give advice if we can't see what you are actually eating.

That aside, snacking on nuts always helps me feel full. Also, are your protein and carbs fitting into your macros? Carbs give you energy and help with appetite. I'm not saying go out and eat a box of pasta. Your carbs should come from fruits and vegetables and nuts as much as possible.

Finally, are you eating enough to keep up with your workouts?

These are just some things to think about. Good luck.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I include a fiber supplement in my diet every day. I find it really helps to avoid feeling ravenous.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I have to have a good amount of protein and fat to keep me from going off the rails. I start off almost every day with eggs for the protein and fat. Sometimes I'll make a batch of turkey sausage with ground turkey and seasonings and make a breakfast burrito in a low carb tortilla.
    I also have to eat a reasonable amount of food. Creating too much of a calorie deficit will not work in the long run for me. I get tired, hangry, and just too hungry not to inhale a burger, fries, and whatever sweets sound good. So I'd suggest you increase protein, fat, water intake (so as not to confuse hunger and thirst), and calories if you are on a VLCD.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a serious lack of fiber. I ended up adding 1/2-1 cup of oats to myself and my wifes protein shakes, and brown rice to a lot of meals. fiber is filler, if your stomach is full, your not going to be so tempted to binge.
  • honeylissabee
    honeylissabee Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've been eating protein (eggs, fish, chicken, steak, pork, chicken apple sausages, etc) and carbs have been limited to sweet potatoes, veggies (no peas or corn) and fruit. I've also been cooking with plenty of olive and coconut oils.

I eat between 1500-1900 calories a day averaging out at around 1600-1700.