what to do signs of a cold coming on

Options
hello I woke up today head sore nose stuffy feeling tired, my eyes are sore ears sometimes popping. I have the cold coming on I skipped the gym was it best that i did so i will hopefully be back in the gym Saturday or Monday depending on the cold.

Replies

• RichardFL
    Options
    Mild to moderate workouts during a normal cold are fine and may even be beneficial. Intensive exercise should be avoided until a few days after symptoms subside.

If you have a worse cold with systemic symptoms like a fever, extreme fatigue, swollen lymph glands, etc. you should rest until symptoms subside and gradually increase training over the course of a few weeks or even a month.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Take lots of Vitamin C. I used to get sick all the time until my doctor suggested I take a supplement. Made a huge difference for me!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    Take lots of Vitamin C. I used to get sick all the time until my doctor suggested I take a supplement. Made a huge difference for me!

thanks
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Mild to moderate workouts during a normal cold are fine and may even be beneficial. Intensive exercise should be avoided until a few days after symptoms subside.

If you have a worse cold with systemic symptoms like a fever, extreme fatigue, swollen lymph glands, etc. you should rest until symptoms subside and gradually increase training over the course of a few weeks or even a month.

I will be in the gym Saturday hopefully
  • annamaries13
    annamaries13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    To get better quickly and help knock out symptoms, I take Zicam as soon as I notice symptoms. It comes in a variety of "types" but I prefer the melt-in-your-mouth tablets. Drink lots of fluids (except for 15 minutes after taking the zicam) and I've noticed a big reduction in sick-symptoms within about 24 hours of my first dose. Taking it reasonably easy is still important - your body needs to fight the infection - but Zicam really does work.

Feel better!
  • Hope you will get better soon :)
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I know my mother swears by zinc and echinacea.

As to working out, I've heard that you shouldn't with a fever because the exercise can cause the fever to spike. Beyond that there really isn't a reason not to work out. Just make sure to wash hands, wipe everything down thoroughly so as not to be the *kitten* in the gym who got everyone else sick.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin C & echinacea when I feel a cold coming on. If you feel like working out, do. If not, don't.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do 1 tbsp of REAL honey and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, mix it well and eat!! Do this a couple of times a day, until you feel better. Works every time for me. Hope you feel better.
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I take extra vitamin C and Zinc as soon as I start noticing symptoms and I also take Olive Leaf Extract. Works really well for me, a little over a week ago I had a scratchy throat started taking my vitamins/supplements and it didn't develop into anything more and my throat was better in 2 days.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Take a does of Vitamin D3 immediately!!! I shave off all colds with the following:

I would recommend 10,000 IU taken twice each week. Take 5,000 now and then 5,000 three day later. Do the same each week until symptoms gone.

2000 daily especially through cold season or if tired will keep you nice and healthy throughout the year

If everyone would do this as well as fish oil you would be amazed at what would be saved in healthcare costs! Just sayin"
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Eat a couple oranges. You don't need to take huge amounts of vitamin C. Get lots of rest and drink plenty of water.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    thank you all for the good advice
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for three days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold, and, clear the sinuses, and it's delicious too!
  • excitedaboutfitness
    excitedaboutfitness Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I take 2 packets of Emergen-C whenever I start to feel symptoms or I am knowingly exposed to a cold. Ever since doing this, I haven't had a full-blown cold (almost 2 years!) :-)
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I take Emergen-C every single day with a multi vitamin. My daughter has gone through 2 cold and I haven't had a cold or any illness in about a year and a half. I don't really know if that's why, but I used to get colds often, especially if anyone around me was sick and now I haven't been sick for long time. Plus I wash my hands frequently when I'm touching stuff like gym equipment or anything in the public arena. I've also heard Vit D will help with colds as well as C.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    To get better quickly and help knock out symptoms, I take Zicam as soon as I notice symptoms. It comes in a variety of "types" but I prefer the melt-in-your-mouth tablets. Drink lots of fluids (except for 15 minutes after taking the zicam) and I've noticed a big reduction in sick-symptoms within about 24 hours of my first dose. Taking it reasonably easy is still important - your body needs to fight the infection - but Zicam really does work.

Feel better!

This works for me too. It's possible it could be a placebo effect, but as soon as I hit a sore throat, I pop the melt tabs as frequently as I can, up my vitamin C, and drink a ton of water. My colds have been a lot less severe than my co-workers (and some I've managed to avoid by doing this when they're sick).
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    hello I woke up today head sore nose stuffy feeling tired, my eyes are sore ears sometimes popping. I have the cold coming on I skipped the gym was it best that i did so i will hopefully be back in the gym Saturday or Monday depending on the cold.

I am a preschool teacher with young toddlers. I have gotten so many colds, I have seriously lost count.

I learned in my recent nutrition class that Vitamin C is good, but it doesn't support the immune system as well as everyone thinks. Iron supports the immune system better than Vitamin C (but it is best to have vitamin c with it, as it helps the iron absorb into the bloodstream better). Also, zinc helps shorted the duration of a cold (That's the main ingredient in the zicam products). When I feel a cold coming on, I used to eat red meat and iron rich foods. Usually it was a bowl of beef pho with a ton of spinach added.

Ever since I started doing iron+zinc instead of just Vitamin C, I found that I have gotten fewer colds (possibly from being stopped before I fully developed it?), my symptoms cleared better and I shortened the duration of a cold immensely (which NEVER happens for me, I have terrible sinuses which make every virus worse).

This is what works for me, I hope you feel better! It's no fun when you're not feeling well, even if it is just a cold!