Starting university in the fall...

Options
In less than 3 weeks I will be going into my first year of university. I have JUST recently decided to get back on the band wagon and finally become healthy.

However, the majority of university students that I know had gained the "freshman 15"... essentially 15 lbs in their first year or 2 of uni, or some number around that.
I really DO NOT want to gain this weight.

I am curious; if you have heard of this term, what is it that makes people gain weight when starting university? How can I get around this?

Obviously I need to focus on exercising and eating healthy, but do you have any tips on how I can get over obstacles that university brings?

(I am living at home, not on campus)

:flowerforyou: :heart: :smile:

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens, but mainly because people move into the dorm and have access to food all the time. Its hard to count cals when you aren't doing the cooking. If you are living at home, this won't be an issue for you since your eating habits won't be changing drastically.

good luck
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've heard of it, and yes it is a "thing". Most people gain it because they're studying a lot and not very active. When they are active (weekends), it's associated with partying, where there is plenty of alcohol involved. Alcohol is a lot of empty calories!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You'll be living at home so it'll be easier for you NOT to get the freshman 15.

It's from crap food and alcohol while living on campus.
    At my school, the salad bar was depressing so I picked pasta a lot because the other options weren't that great.
    Since you're at home you'll be able to prepare fresher, healthier food.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I work full time, go to school, I'm a single mother and I work oooout, lol. Time management is crucial. I'm going from part-time to full-time this semester soooo, I'm really in for it. I think I will probably drop my gym membership and start working out at home to save time. I have to get super prepared.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and junk food. If you're in a dorm, it's either cafeterial food or junk food (ramen noodles, etc...). Plus, like someone said, instead of going to a gym after class on Friday, many choose a party instead. I always did.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I gained it. Fortunately I was under 100lbs when I did.
    I lived on my own in the dorms for the first time. THAT was what did it.

If you're living at home, and don't allow it to happen it doesn't have to happen. You can control this.
  • shayleac
    shayleac Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lived at home AND gained 15 pounds exactly!

Mine was contributed from the cafeteria food, and watch out for starbucks... the 500 cal mocha/latte etc every morning...
    and I had a 'spare' so that's when I would maybe get another one.

Once I realized that the weight was slowly creeping on and becoming more aware of calorie counting, I started getting 100 cal lattes or tea instead, also brought little snacks... an orange, almonds etc. so that I avoided the cafeteria food. You can also use the school gym if you have one.