new to site and dieting

Options
i am 26 years old i have never dieted a day in my life i am a junk food junkie and addicted to mountain dew. i am literally double my weight than i was ten years ago. i dont know how to diet what to eat or how to go about it. i neeeeeed help!

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Here's kind of a generic guide and a few things to get you going:

I haven't subscribed to the ideas of a diet, but rather changing the diet I am already one. Coming here was a good first step. My goal was originally to lose about 50 lbs back in June and in three months I have been able to get almost half way there. Here are some of my "keys" to success.

1. Drink water. This is not to say that you should drink water rather than eating, but that you should have a water bottle available and close throughout the day. Drinking water helps the body know that it will be properly hydrated and so it will not retain as much water as it was when it thinks it isn't going to get enough. Water is essential for much of the body function and so charging up those functions is an important first step.

2. Keep track of how much of what you are eating. This is probably one of the most meticulous steps, but it is the only way to know exactly what you're taking into your body. I have been using measuring cups and a small postage scale so that I know how much to put into my food tracker. I started by just keeping track of what I was eating so that I had a baseline to work from. After doing this for a week or two, I started making adjustments to get the calories down and replaced my 'fast food' diet with more home-cooked meals. Highly processed foods were replaced with fruits and vegetables. Don't try to change everything at once or you'll go nuts and don't think you have to eliminate all the foods you love. It's more about making the foods you love more healthy and planning ahead.

3. Eat frequently throughout the day. The body's metabolism is at its best when it is regularly sustained. I have found keeping snacks such as peaches, bananas, celery, cucumbers, baby carrots, and trail mix handy to be very helpful. I eat smaller portions more regularly throughout the day. This helps keep me from going crazy when it does come time to eat.

4. Exercise regularly. You don't have to go out and run a marathon for it to be exercise. I started simple with walking and hiking. Getting the heart rate up also boosts the metabolism and burns calories. Start with just 20 minutes a day and work from there. Exercising also builds muscle which does burn more calories throughout the day than fat does. Just keep in mind that building muscle means that weight may not change as much as you might expect so besides just taking measurements on the scale, also measure your arms, thighs, and waist. This way you can see that there are changes happening in more places than just the scale.

These are the basics that have been working for me. The great thing about this is it isn't just a diet that you go on and then eventually go off of. This is about training yourself to eat right and responsibly for the rest of your life. There will be bumps in the road, but as long as you stick with it, you will see the changes in your body as well as in your overall well-being and that is what matters the most.
  • amscobra
    Options
    I suggest not looking at it as a diet, but more as a lifestyle change. I am too a soda addict, but since I started this journey 2 months ago, I have gotten better. I have switched to diet, and now i barely have a soda once a week. This site has helped me soo much. The first week I admit, was tough, you may feel like your starving yourself, at least your body will feel like it, but you need to push through it, after the first week your body will adjust and it will start to tell you what foods upset it. Try your best to drink water, if your anything like i was, its not your first option, but start off with at least one glass a day and work yourself up to 2 and so on. You can do this! One step at a time and one day at a time, the calorie counting is just part of it, you need to get active, try to be up and at 'em at least 20-30 minutes a day doing something. It will get easier! add me as a friend if you like :-) we are all here to support eachother.
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    Great to have you here! This is a good step. :flowerforyou:

What I want you to do is plug in Mountain Dew into the food diary and then see the calories. 170! If you drink lets say 2 a day, that is 340 calories, or approximately one meals worth of calories...if you drink more...well you are drinking away all your food calories for the day. Do the same for your favorite junk foods, then tally up an average day...you may be consuming twice (or more) your daily calories, which would explain the weight doubling in such a short time.

The food diary seriously smacked me wide awake!! I would also google 'nutrition' and try to educate yourself on basic info which will kep you make better choices. What a Mountain Dew and Doritoes does to your body is a lot more destructive than pack on the pounds...:noway:

Bottom line, the info is out there, it is easy to get and you will benefit so much from it! Also, to take charge of your health at such an early age will improve your quality of life through all the major life events worth being helthy for. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

You can do this, we all have had learning to do to improve our lives, lose weight and enjoy the confidence it brings. You will do great, and the hardest part was saying HELP!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    Here's kind of a generic guide and a few things to get you going:

I haven't subscribed to the ideas of a diet, but rather changing the diet I am already one. Coming here was a good first step. My goal was originally to lose about 50 lbs back in June and in three months I have been able to get almost half way there. Here are some of my "keys" to success.

1. Drink water. This is not to say that you should drink water rather than eating, but that you should have a water bottle available and close throughout the day. Drinking water helps the body know that it will be properly hydrated and so it will not retain as much water as it was when it thinks it isn't going to get enough. Water is essential for much of the body function and so charging up those functions is an important first step.

2. Keep track of how much of what you are eating. This is probably one of the most meticulous steps, but it is the only way to know exactly what you're taking into your body. I have been using measuring cups and a small postage scale so that I know how much to put into my food tracker. I started by just keeping track of what I was eating so that I had a baseline to work from. After doing this for a week or two, I started making adjustments to get the calories down and replaced my 'fast food' diet with more home-cooked meals. Highly processed foods were replaced with fruits and vegetables. Don't try to change everything at once or you'll go nuts and don't think you have to eliminate all the foods you love. It's more about making the foods you love more healthy and planning ahead.

3. Eat frequently throughout the day. The body's metabolism is at its best when it is regularly sustained. I have found keeping snacks such as peaches, bananas, celery, cucumbers, baby carrots, and trail mix handy to be very helpful. I eat smaller portions more regularly throughout the day. This helps keep me from going crazy when it does come time to eat.

4. Exercise regularly. You don't have to go out and run a marathon for it to be exercise. I started simple with walking and hiking. Getting the heart rate up also boosts the metabolism and burns calories. Start with just 20 minutes a day and work from there. Exercising also builds muscle which does burn more calories throughout the day than fat does. Just keep in mind that building muscle means that weight may not change as much as you might expect so besides just taking measurements on the scale, also measure your arms, thighs, and waist. This way you can see that there are changes happening in more places than just the scale.

These are the basics that have been working for me. The great thing about this is it isn't just a diet that you go on and then eventually go off of. This is about training yourself to eat right and responsibly for the rest of your life. There will be bumps in the road, but as long as you stick with it, you will see the changes in your body as well as in your overall well-being and that is what matters the most.

What he said :bigsmile:
  • kristalw
    Options
    thank you all for your advice every bit helps. as far as my mountain dew intake goes its about 6-9 cans a day but without it i get massive headaches so i really dont know how im going to cut that down
  • dr.pepper is my weakness....usually 3 or 4 a day.....but i have "good days" where i'll drink maybe 2 and 3 -5 glasses of water or bottles...
  • Luvtwisted
    Options
    That's a lot of Mountain Dew! Try drinking diet instead and then cut back from there. That will help the headaches. Oh...and Tylenol :)
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you want to take baby steps and start seeing some results, here are some suggestions.

Your Mountain Dew withdrawal headaches are likely caffeine withdrawal. You can probably get the same level of caffeine with diet Mountain Dew, and your taste buds will adjust after a few days.

It really depends on where you are in your life and if you have a couple of weeks you can suffer through caffeine withdrawal and if you are ready to make a big change in how you eat.

If you are eating as well as drinking junk, you can also make baby step changes by subbing less unhealthy choices. Know the calorie and fat counts of what you choose. Rice cakes can be salty like chips but carry a lot less fat and calories. Get a kids meal with a hamburger and apple slices instead of a Big Mac and fries. Order from the fresco menu at Taco Bell.

Good luck.