Help! Lunch time work out?

Options
Hey MFP friends!

I had a quick question. Has anyone tried working out on their lunch break from work? I work at a university that has a gym and I have a 1 hr break. I thought maybe I could work out for 30-45 mins, shower quickly and then drink a protein shake and eat a banana for lunch. Anyone have thoughts about this plan? Has anyone tried anything similar? I find it hard to fit in a trip to the gym during my busy day and figured this is a way to make my day more effective.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    That sounds good to me if your comfortable with it!!!

I normally go for a walk at lunch time... but ooooh if i had a gym... and an hour!! =)
  • carlita231
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan, you should definitely do it! I go walking everyday during my lunch hour.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I used to do at my old job. From the time I left my desk to the time I was back was 1 hour, then a sneaky lunch back on work time!

Do it!!!
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    I do the elliptical almost every day for 30 minutes during my lunch break! Love it.
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    I use to walk at lunch. Wish we did have a gym at work. That would be great to go for 30 minutes of exercise...
  • k1979k
    Options
    Great idea. I used to do that, before I started exercising after work instead. I found that it gave me lots of energy for the rest of the day and I didn't feel like snacking so much, and when I did snack I made better choices.

It was a bit of a time-squeeze to get to the gym (about a 7 min walk), get changed, do a decent workout, get changed again and get back to work within an hour but luckily I work in a flexible environment so could stretch my lunch by an extra 10 or 15 mins if needed! I tended to lose track of time though so if you really focus on setting a time frame you can manage and really going hard for that time then I think lunch-time exercise is awesome. It eliminates the problems of having to go out again after you get home, or hitting the gym after work when you're tired, particularly if the weather is getting colder.

As for eating lunch, if you can eat 'on the job' (ie - desk job where you can eat at your desk) then options are pretty much limitless (obviously) but for eating on the run I guess a protein shake would be good, plus the banana for some good quality carbs. Or maybe a salad wrap or something that you're pre-made that you can eat while you're heading back to work?
  • kaxi
    kaxi Posts: 1
    Options
    I've done it. I'd snack on something light an hour before lunch, take off to work out hard for 20 minutes (usually running or weights), cool down, then shower and head back to work. I don't get hungry right after a hard workout so I don't need to eat until an hour or two later. Best way to keep up high energy until the end of a work day!
  • austindperry
    austindperry Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It is a very flexible workplace so I think it will work out well. I think my biggest worry is the change from suit to gym clothes and back again. Also, it does require me to be extra diligent and bring all of my workout gear to work with me instead of being able to get ready at home. Thanks for all of the support and I think I may try it a day this week!

I just joined this site and already I can tell that it will be a great help in achieving my goals. Congrats to everyone that has already started reaping the results! Keep up the hard work!

"You may not be there yet, but you are closer than you were yesterday"
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    Yes, when I had a gym in my office (notice I said had :sad: ) I would do 35 - 40 minutes of weights and leave the cardio for days I had time to make it worth my while. I would sweat a bit, for sure, but not enough to warrant a shower. Maybe its a girl thing, but long wet hair, or even a makeup reapplication would just kill the whole shower thing timewise for me...

Not sure if that was much help :laugh:
  • austindperry
    Options
    @Dawn

Yes that is helpful! I'm not sure if a shower is a must yet but I guess I will find out when my co-workers let me know lol!

I would do my workout after work but that really throws off my evenings. I want to be able to run errands, make dinner and spend time with my roommates. Hopefully getting my workout in at lunch will make my days as productive as possible!
  • hopfroggyfrog
    Options
    It can definitely work. It might be a bit different for you since you have to change back into a suit. If you're not going to do a super hard workout it will probably be fine. And if you can do a light/quick lunch, that's even better. For me I've found that I like it better at the end of the day - that way I don't have to change twice, I can just sweat it out and then head straight home.
    I just started last week, so my plan is to do three or four days by myself after work. But at least once a week (maybe twice) I'm doing a focused workout with a coworker during her lunch (either abs or arms or something), so those days I might end up working out twice. (focused workout with her, and then cardio by myself at the end of the day). Do you know anyone that could be your workout buddy?
  • austindperry
    Options
    @hopfroggy

Yes great idea! I have a lot of fraternity brothers that are local and I'm sure some of them could become a workout buddy. I know that would definitely help keep me accountable. The challenge is finding someone on a similar level as me so I can go at a good pace for myself. I was thinking I could do my lifting at lunch and like you said do cardio at the end of the day if I have the time.
  • JoyJulRay
    JoyJulRay Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I dont have a gym but at each one of my two 30 min. breaks I do some kind of work out. At 6;00 I go out side and power walk then at 9:00 I either run steps or jog. Thats all I do\id to lose my first 35lbs..Now I go to the gym during the day too.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch hour everyday.

I work in an office and get an hour for lunch but they are quite understanding and flexible. I walk 10 blocks to the gym, do a 45 minute class, take a quick shower and walk back. I'm usually gone 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes. I eat lunch at my desk.

There are days that I leave class early as I have to get back for something or I do a half hour treadmill or elliptical.

The key for me is to always pack my gym bag and my lunch the night before so I don't forget anything. Also I don't have any time for chit chat at the gym.

It works for me and frees up my evening for my family and my running.

Give it a try, I had a co-worker join me for a while and she gave up she didn't like the rushing to and from the gym as well as the lunch time crowds in the locker room.

Karen
  • I hit the gym every lunch time - but my gym is only two doors down the street from me!

I only bother with a shower when I'm really sweaty, otherwise I use simple wipes.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I do this routine.

1 hour lunch, gym in my building.

Eat lunch around 11:30 or 12.
    Grab my gym bag at 2:30 ish, bolt to the gym. Change out quickly.
    30 minute aerobic exercise. Treadmill, stair stepper, elliptical. 5 minute after workout stretch.
    Shower - quick shower. Soap up, rinse off, outta there. Gotta get the sweat off. Change clothes, bolt upstairs.
    It takes me the full hour.

I sometimes do an hour long yoga class. No shower generally required after yoga for me.
    I'll stay an extra 5 or 10 minutes after 5pm to accommodate the extra 5 or 10 minutes I went over on my lunch hour.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day over my lunch hour. I work on a college campus and since I've still got a lot of weight to lose I usually just walk. However, the weather is going to get cold soon, so my walking buddy and I are making plans to go to the fitness center instead of walking. Then we return to our offices and eat on the job.