Toning up tummy after kids

Options
KRB28
KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
Anyone have some good suggestions for toning up a tummy after having kids?

Replies

• KRB28
    Options
    No suggestions??? I've been losing weight but my tummy isn't..LOL. Just sit-ups? I mostly do Zumba and walking/hiking. Will appreciate any advice!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The answer is watch your diet. No amount of exercise will cause you lo specifically lose belly fat. It will help you create a caloric deficit which will cause your body to shed fat. Your body decides where that fat comes from. The best thing you can do is eat at a moderate deficit, do some cardio you enjoy, have a good lifting/resistance program (this helps you maintain LBM while losing so a higher percentage of your loss comes from fat) and have patience.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28lbs so far and nat alot of it has came from my belly!! Its starting to now, you just have to be patient. Your body will decide where the fat goes from first, you wont be able to spot treat your belly. Just eat right, do cardio, do weights and it will come off!
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't pick and choose where to lose weight. I'm an apple shape and I've had a c-section, so my belly is the worst part on me. Some of my issue is just loose skin which at my age will probably never improve without surgery :( There is another thread going right now with good suggestions for ab exercises, which will improve the appearance of your midsection, but only losing the fat over top of the muscle will make it go away.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The answer is watch your diet. No amount of exercise will cause you lo specifically lose belly fat. It will help you create a caloric deficit which will cause your body to shed fat. Your body decides where that fat comes from. The best thing you can do is eat at a moderate deficit, do some cardio you enjoy, have a good lifting/resistance program (this helps you maintain LBM while losing so a higher percentage of your loss comes from fat) and have patience.

^^This.

A "toned" midsection comes from 3 things.

Diet, work (cardio mixed with compound movement weight/strength training) and patience. You can't make your body lose fat from a specific area. Your body will burn fat from whatever part of the body it wants, no matter what part you are working at the time.

You can do 10,000 situps a day (sit-ups don't really engage the abs anyway), but your body is going to burn fat from wherever it wants first, with the midsection usually being the last place.

You'll notice many of the individuals on the site with nice midsections don't actually do an isolated "ab" routine.
  • KRB28
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies :) I actually eat really healthy, and I workout 6 days a week. I don't do any work with weights because I don't have access to the gym and don't have weights at home.

I guess patience is really what it is, I actually just had a baby 6.5 months ago. Guess I'm getting too ahead of myself ;) Was just wondering if there were any special workouts that improved the mid section.

Thanks again :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely add in some resistance training, even if it's "only" bodyweight. You can usually get some fairly heavy resistance bands at Wal-Mart, too. Look at nerdfitness.com or Google "You Are Your Own Gym" or "Convict Conditioning" for some bodyweight info.
  • KRB28
    Options
    Thank you so much, I'll look into it :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Most of it is eating/diet and cardio, and eventually getting your body fat down low enough to start to get at the fat around your belly.

Though I would suggest doing some core exercises, like pushups on an exercise ball, sit-ups, weight training (like lifting heavier or using resistance bands), and/or running/HIIT/plyometrics. Maintaining a strong core after kids is definitely important, and it's more important than simply losing the fat, since those muscles need to be targeted and worked in order to fully recover.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies :) I actually eat really healthy, and I workout 6 days a week. I don't do any work with weights because I don't have access to the gym and don't have weights at home.

I guess patience is really what it is, I actually just had a baby 6.5 months ago. Guess I'm getting too ahead of myself ;) Was just wondering if there were any special workouts that improved the mid section.

Thanks again :)

You can buy some weights in Target or even on line (they are not expensive) and try DVD workouts like Jillian Michael. Google it and watch some of the demos. Even if you only do this kind of workout a couple of times a week, plus your regular routine and eating at a deficit, the fat will start to melt and you will see results. Like others said: patience and consistency are key elements. Good luck!
  • JenS2586
    JenS2586 Posts: 85
    Options
    Most of it will come down to your diet, and genetics as to how fast your belly flattens back out. A good workout routine and time. I have 4 kids [including twins], my baby just turned 3 months. I've just recently started adding in jillian michaels workout vids along with a better diet and my belly has tightened up a lot. I still do cardio but not as much as before. Yoga is really good for strengthening your core. If you have loose skin it won't matter how much you work out, only time will help that. Just be patient and consistent and you'll get there! Feel free to add me if you like, love having other mommy friends on here :)
  • KRB28
    Options
    I don't know how much it will flatten after a 10lbs 4 ozs baby...haha ;) I talk to my husband and see if he's interested in buying some weights as he used to lift weights.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I'll give it time...might have to put the bikinis in the back of the closet for now, LOL.
  • mirandajfoster
    mirandajfoster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out this site this could be the problem and crunches could be making it worse. Most woman with children don't even know they have this.

http://inspiredrd.com/2012/06/dear-diastasis-recti-im-so-over-you.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+inspiredrd/EjAy+(Inspired+RD)&utm_content=Google+Reader
  • nads1012
    nads1012 Posts: 55
    Options
    Agree with everything that's been said and on top of that I'd get bio oil or a generic one (vitamine, not sure which). Post-pregnancy belly can be very genetic, luckily mine went down pretty quicky. I've been using bio-oil since early pregnancy so not sure if that helped or it's my genes. Anyway some of these oils can help skin elasticity, and fading marks.
  • KRB28
    Options
    I don't actually have a bulging tummy, it's just a bit saggy from having two babies. Just looking to tone up that part.
  • edowns88
    edowns88 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi, I have the same problem after having two back to back pregnancies and delivered both via c/section. I'm 5 months post partum and still look 5 months pregnant! Ack. It's so frustrating! Anyway, I am starting to have results after being incredibly consistent with my diet and workout program. I am doing Chalean Extreme paired with Turbo Fire 6x a week. For dumb bells I use a Gold's Gym adjustable set that was purchased at Walmart for $50. They are not Select Tech's or anything fancy, but it gets the job done.

Hang in there and just keep going!!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids, noticed it shrinking with eating clean (ESP when I was breast feeding) then toned up with p90x :)
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    They do say the belly is the last to go for women, and that has always been the case for me too.

If you check out the 30 Day Shred threads, lots of Moms have toned up their Mummy Tummy that way - and needless to say, heavy lifting :smile: