Barbell weights?

I see a lot on the forums about Olympic barbells and straight barbells and curl bars. What is the difference?

I am doing Chaldean extreme right now which doesn't use a bar, only dumbbells. But I am wanting to get a bar to start doing more of a strong lifts type program. But I want to get the best bang for my buck.

My local store has 3 types of bars. A curl bar for $39.99, a 6' straight bar for $39.99. The guy at the store didn't know the weights of these, but "thinks" they are 15 lb each. They also had the Olympic 7' bar which the sign said was 45 lb, for $69.99.

Which of these I'd the better bar for lifting heavier, and the best investment. I am currently using 20 lb dumbbells for squats, bench press, and shoulder press, I am ready for more weight on these and think a bar will help me progress more efficiently.

Need any more info, just ask. Thanks all!

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    If you're only going to get 1 bar, and you've got the space for it, get the Olympic bar.
    You can use it for pretty much anything, and providing it's decent to start with if looked after, it should last a lifetime.

Are you only planning on getting the bar?
    Are you going to buy plates at a later point?
    Are you planning on buying a rack and possibly a bench to use with it?
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    If you're only going to get 1 bar, and you've got the space for it, get the Olympic bar.
    You can use it for pretty much anything, and providing it's decent to start with if looked after, it should last a lifetime.

Are you only planning on getting the bar?
    Are you going to buy plates at a later point?
    Are you planning on buying a rack and possibly a bench to use with it?

This....
    Concern is that you may feel the need to increase the weights progressively...
    So space is a concern considering the barbell weights, rack, bench.....
    I am in a similar situation where I want to lift heavy but not in a position to go to gym ...nor have space at home for gym set up...
    So I am planning to get a sandbag and start doing the sandbag excercises....
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Yes I agree about getting the olympic bar, you can used it for pretty much everything as Dan said, and it's the most commonly used for lifting heavy.
  • Olympic barbell is the bar that holds weights with the larger center holes. Straight barbell refers to either an olympic bar or a barbell that holds weights with the smaller centers. The olympic bar weighs 35 lbs. The 45 lb number is the bar plus collars. The collars are what keep the weights from sliding off the bar. If you are going to do exercises with heavier weights i.e. squats, the olympic bar is the way to go. Remember proper form is more important that the amount of weight. Good luck and good lifting.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Hmm. I may have to go with the smaller bar now then. I already have some plates with the smaller holes. I don't have the funds to buy the bar and replace my plates. I will go back to the store and ask to get the bars down to compare them.

For the rack and bench, I may have to improvise and have my hubby build me one. I have a furniture bench that I use now, but of course it doesn't incline or anything. But I'm making it work.

Space wise, I have some space to work with, half of a 20 ft long room.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Olympic barbell is the bar that holds weights with the larger center holes. Straight barbell refers to either an olympic bar or a barbell that holds weights with the smaller centers. The olympic bar weighs 35 lbs. The 45 lb number is the bar plus collars. The collars are what keep the weights from sliding off the bar. If you are going to do exercises with heavier weights i.e. squats, the olympic bar is the way to go. Remember proper form is more important that the amount of weight. Good luck and good lifting.

Barbell collars aren't 5 lbs a piece.

The one that is already ON there to prevent weights from just sliding right off the other side- or in on your hands- might be- but the ones that keep the plates from tipping off during an uneven lift? those are NOT 5 lbs a piece. You don't even need to use those for bench, squats, dead lifts or over head press or lunges- you need them for other explosive lifts- but not necessarily for the basic big three/four compound moves. My collars are actually fabric/velcro ones. And they definitely are no where NEAR 5 lbs- I never add them to my lift- that's just stupid.

Your standard bar for barbell/oly lifts is 45 lbs. It should already have the attached collar to keep the plates from sliding INWARD.

OP if you want to get into lifting- get the full sized 45 lb barbell if you have room- knowing you'll be building essentially a home gym.

If you aren't interested in building that- get a sandbag. Or make your own. Or invest in kettlebells- they take up less room LOL
  • HelloDan
    Barbell collars aren't 5 lbs a piece.

I agree with most of what you said, and most collars are not this heavy, or necessary, but just for information competition collars are 2.5kg each, so basically 5lb a piece.

*EDIT*

For a visual - not what most people use!
    EleikoCompCollars-400.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I stand corrected...

yeah those aren't typical gym stuff. I forgot about those. Thank you for including those. :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Hmm. I may have to go with the smaller bar now then. I already have some plates with the smaller holes. I don't have the funds to buy the bar and replace my plates.

If that's what you have available to you, then an Olympic Bar is not what you want. You want a standard bar (which is a bar that holds 1" plates.) You can get a decent standard bar like this http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11644904&cp=693994&fbc=1&f=Brand/760/&fbn=Brand|Cap+Barbell&lmdn=Brand&parentPage=family I used to use a standard weight set and have this bar. It will support 250lbs which is very good for a standard bar. You can also get in a 7' long version as well. I have the 6' version and it weights 15lbs without collars on it.

Also I'll add, when it comes time to buy a new weight set, get a good Olympic Barbell. Don't ever cheap out on the bar! A good Olympic bar will cost you at least $150.00 but should last you a lifetime. An Olympic Barbell is 7' long, weighs 45lbs, holds plates w/a 2" center hole, and can hold double or more weight than a standard bar. You can also use Bumpers with an Olympic Barbell which is really nice.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    I have a standard bar and an Olympic bar. My standard bar weighs 15 lbs and is 5 feet long. The Olympic bar weighs 45 lbs and is 7 feet long. There is a "women's" Olympic bar that weighs 35, but I don't really see the point.

The Olympic bar is the better investment if you intend to get serious about heavy lifting, but if you don't have the space for it, it doesn't make much sense to buy one. A standard bar will be easier to fit into whatever space you have, and since you already have standard plates, you won't have to buy new plates until you get strong enough that you need more weight.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    I have a standard bar and an Olympic bar. My standard bar weighs 20 lbs and is 5 feet long. The Olympic bar weighs 45 lbs and is 7 feet long. There is a "women's" Olympic bar that weighs 35, but I don't really see the point.

The Olympic bar is the better investment if you intend to get serious about heavy lifting, but if you don't have the space for it, it doesn't make much sense to buy one. A standard bar will be easier to fit into whatever space you have, and since you already have standard plates, you won't have to buy new plates until you get strong enough that you need more weight.

yup, if you have the space, get the OLY.
  • HelloDan
    I have a standard bar and an Olympic bar. My standard bar weighs 15 lbs and is 5 feet long. The Olympic bar weighs 45 lbs and is 7 feet long. There is a "women's" Olympic bar that weighs 35, but I don't really see the point.

The main reason to get the womens bar would be if you are female and plan to compete in the future, as this is what you will use in competition.
    The secondary reason is if you have very small hands, as the bit you grip of the womens bar is 25mm diameter and the mens bar is 28mm. It's also slightly shorter at 2.1m v 2.2m but this is pretty insignificant.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member

The main reason to get the womens bar would be if you are female and plan to compete in the future, as this is what you will use in competition.
    The secondary reason is if you have very small hands, as the bit you grip of the womens bar is 25mm diameter and the mens bar is 28mm. It's also slightly shorter at 2.1m v 2.2m but this is pretty insignificant.

This. I have a marked preference/ability to lift more with the thinner woman's bar. If I were buying only one bar, I'd get a woman's Oly.

Also, Dan, I'm surprised you weren't correcting people on bar weights since the 15kg woman's bar is 33lb and the 20kg men's is 44lb. Highlighting that lifting is supposed to be measured in kg.
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Honestly, I'm going to disagree with the majority of posts.

An Olympic bar is used for a lot of compound exercises such as bench press (requires bench), squats (helpful to have a rack), cleans and jerks (both I would not recommend with heavy weight unless you have had professional coaching), shoulder presses, etc.

You will, as a woman, find a smaller bar easier to do both compound and isolation type exercises. I think a 15 pound bar with some 10 and 5 pound plates as well as a couple sets of 10-30 pound dumb bells is your best bet for beginning a home gym.

If you had space for a bench and a squat rack, and you a little training to do heavier exercises properly I might agree with everyone else. However, I have extensive experience in the gym, and I would have to politely disagree at this point.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    I'm new to lifting and asked the same question and ultimately, I'm very glad I chose to go the 45 Olympic route. Don't get me wrong, I thought I was gonna die under the weight of it alone when I tried squats for the first time but got the hang of it easily and I like the length of the bar because I have long arms and feel like a standard bar would feel short and harder to balance for me. I do also have a bench that doubles as a squat rack and between that and the bar, I truly couldn't be happier with the set up. I use the barbell for squats, deadlift, bench, curls and calf raises. I would like to get a curl bar in the future but I'm fine without it for now. I also don't have a pull up bar so I use the Olympic bar for inverted rows as an alternative.

For me, lifting is just an enjoyable means of exercise, so I didn't take competition into consideration but those pointing it out do have a very valid point for the women's Oly.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    I'm fairly new to lifting heavy, but my husband lifts and we have an Olympic bar and plates in our finished basement. It most certainly does take up a TON of space! A 45 lb bar alone was too heavy for me to lift, so now I am getting a standard bar (5 feet and about 15 lbs) and my own set of standard plates.

If you have the space and the strength to do the 45 lb bar, go for it!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Ideally you want the 45lb Olympic bar instead of the standard bar. Long-term it offers more flexibility and plates are easier to find.
  • HelloDan

Also, Dan, I'm surprised you weren't correcting people on bar weights since the 15kg woman's bar is 33lb and the 20kg men's is 44lb. Highlighting that lifting is supposed to be measured in kg.

I was going to, but then I decided to leave it to you instead, so that you could feel important and useful!