I screwed up

Options
I live in the mountains so we have a garden and have farm raised animals. So I stopped with the soda, junk food, processed food and fast food completely. Anyway I love asian food and had some for lunch. I feel like I just ate a bag of halloween candy. I wish it was easier to control stupid food urges. I have lost 25 pounds so far and feel like it was all for nothing. I know it's not and am going to keep going. I need some motivators to help and keep me going! Feel free to friend me. Thanks, lando

Replies

• yeagemk
    yeagemk Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey Lando,

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're human, and had a moment of weakness. We all have these from time to time.

One lunchtime meal won't reverse the progress you have made physically, but it can be psychologically damaging. You are fine, and still on the path to becoming a healthier, fitter you. Don't lose sight of what you have already achieved.

My advice - Don't be so hard on yourself. Tell yourself "okay, I had a moment of weakness. How can I make sure these incidents happen as little as possible?"

Success is all about what you tell yourself mentally - don't beat yourself up man!

- Matt Yeager, Certified Personal Trainer
  • soponyai
    soponyai Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If anything, it was a great lesson. Now you know for sure that what your eyes might crave, your body may not like.
    Perhaps next time you can have half of it, or something different entirely.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... All you say is you had some Asian food for lunch?? What is the problem? If the calories were too high, have a good workout and eat a light dinner... Am I missing something?
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree...don't be so hard on yourself. I do personally know how you feel and know that it can be a mental mind battle. I have actually found that eating some of the foods I love from time to time has helped me accomplish what I have so far. I don't think it is realistic to never eat the foods you love ever again. As long as it's in moderation, you are ok. One bad meal does not negate what you have accomplished so far. You ate the food, now just get right back on track and continue doing what you have been doing. Great job on your success so far!!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    How was all your hard work for nothing? I can promise that you didn't gain 25lbs with some Asian food for lunch. Just go back to your normal routine and you'll be fine. If you like it, eat it from time to time; the worst thing you can do is deprive yourself of foods you love.
  • Dferrynhc
    Dferrynhc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself. It's ok. No sense in beating yourself up for something that has already happened. Pick yourself up and move ahead.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... All you say is you had some Asian food for lunch?? What is the problem? If the calories were too high, have a good workout and eat a light dinner... Am I missing something?

Agreed. I'm not sure exactly what you ate, but I'm pretty sure that it's nothing that can't be worked off...just like the other 25 pounds that you lost. Trust me, if you keep going on with the mentality, then you're setting yourself up for failure. You're allowed to have treats every now and then. Good luck!
  • DayDreamr_41
    Options
    It'll be OK, I promise. I know the panic feeling you are talking about; you just don't want to backslide. Exercise a little more than normal today & you'll still be on track. Even one "bad" day won't undo all your hard work as long as those days aren't frequent. You can add me for support, if you'd like too. I'm down 46 so far (88 to go) Oh, & p.s. I had Chinese food for lunch (maybe a bit too much) I'm working on it... LOL
  • KhaoticSoul
    Options
    Hey so you had a bad day, everyone does, I do too, on a more regular basis than I would like, but if you let it get to you you will just destroy yourself mentally. One bad day doesn't mean that everything is wasted and can be dealt with in a few different ways. You can cut your intake the day after a little to get yourself back on track, go do an extra workout, or just let it go and think to yourself, ok it was one bad day, tomorrow will be better.

The thing is to look at it this way, are you going to stop going out for meals with friends, splurging out over christmas or thanksgiving or whatever holidays you might celebrate when everyone is surrounding you with food that's not exactly to your lifestyle, or take your children on days out where the only food you might get is technically not good for you? I personally refer to my change in food as a lifestyle change as I'm not on a DIET to lose weight, I'm changing my lifestyle to take into count I have weight I need to lose. That means that I am not just sitting here day after day counting FCP or calories, and driving myself crazy into the bargain by telling myself I cant have this or that ever again.

So the trick is to remember that yes for 99% of the time you have a dietary lifestyle you want to follow to lose weight and make yourself feel/look better, but if you have a bad day accept it for what it is. You're not a machine, and as long as the odd bad day doesn't mean you just throw in the towel and use it as a lame excuse to think you can't do it, then there is no harm done.

I follow a paleo lifestyle, and I do know, that for me, eating pasta, breads, potatos, or loads of heavy dairy products can make me feel bloated and sick, but because I have them so rarely if I'm out and about it at friends then the odd meal, day out doesn't hurt, and I no longer feel bad about myself, or as if Ive screwed up everything. So take heart Lando, you haven't screwed up, you've just proved your human like the rest of us :)
  • nonameuno
    Options
    Don't stress! I often do that to myself and completely lose track for the rest of the day (sometimes more than one day) and I feel complete shame afterwards. The truth is we all make those mistakes and ti doesn't mean the entire day is shot. Just eat well the rest of the day, and look forward to eating healthy and staying on track tomorrow.

To avoid situations like this, I look for healthier versions of the things I am craving. Example: Last night I was craving pad thai so I looked online for a healthy version of it and I found one that was super easy to make and incredibly good! So very worth the patients it took to make it! :D. Hang in there!