What does it take to be athletic again after 40?

Options
Need some motivation to keep moving forward! I'm a 41 year old single mom. I was an athlete in school, and athletic until I was pregnant with my son and life got complicated....I gained 75 lbs....15 years ago! I went right back into training after I had my son, and lost 50 of the 75 lbs. I ended up tearing both ACL's and could barely walk for 2 months, and gained about 30 of it back. I have gained and lost the same 50 over the last decade, depending on how I eat, how much I move, if my job is active, how stressed I am..the typical factors. And I keep re-injuring my knees when I get motivated to get back to the gym. I worked my *kitten* off for the last 3 years, and was able to lose 30 and maintain it within 5 lbs. This last month, I had a terrible month and gained 20 lbs back, not crazy overeating still working out! I'm so frustrated that I'm ready to give it up...but I know that you don't stay in the same place..you are always moving in a positive or negative direction.

I really want to feel the way I did in my 20's, as far as a decent amount of energy, being able to do physical things like play sports without feeling like I'm going to die, and having a strong body and damn sexy ;) I am willing to put in 4 to 5 hours a week of hard work in the gym, and eat clean 80% of the time, and leaving 20% for dining out, a weekly dessert.

Anyone have success with this method or does it take living at the gym and obsessing about diet to get to your goal in your 40's? I would love to know if it's realistic to become athletic again at my age, without having an affair with the gym and still being able to enjoy life!

Thanks!

Replies

• Nar1965
    Nar1965 Posts: 17
    Options
    Your situation sounds familiar! I'm also a mom of a teen boy, dealing with work, life, stress, etc. I don't know if I'm athletic, but I'm over 40 (just turned cough - 48 - cough). I'm new-ish here -- been at this for 40 days. But here's what motivated me to make a daily commitment. I had to change mindset. As a woman, a mom and a business owner, I've always put everyone else's needs ahead of my own. I would say I was going to work out or take the time to plan a healthy meal, and then someone would need something (a ride, a report, or just some extra time) and I'd put off that hour a day I scheduled for a workout or that time to eat healthy...

And then I realized, many male executives I know always make the time to work out. Skipping that time is not negotiable. Guys with bigger, more important jobs than me. And I know they have wives to help with kids, but I thought, is my health less important than theirs? And that thought helped me make a shift to include a daily workout into my life as a non negotiable hour. I get up early to do it or I leave my teenage son at home in the evening to work it in. I'm 40 days in. I feel so much better than I have in the last few years.

I think you can get healthy and strong and feel so much better in 4 to 5 hours a week at the gym and eating healthy 20% of the time. I don't know if you'll get to your definition of athletic right away, but you'll sure be on the right road! Best of luck!
  • Shelleybean29
    Shelleybean29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. I was getting ready to turn 40 and hated what I saw in the mirror. Somehow over the years I allowed myself to get fat, super fat. I topped the scales at 230 pounds. I hated it! So I changed it! Today marks 11 months I have been on my journey and I have lost 76 pounds. I am 9 pounds away from my goal. Now I am 41 and I am starting to like what I see in the mirror.

I was able to lose my weight by doing in home fitness programs like P90X, Combat, Insanity, etc. I loved the fact that I could do it from the privacy of my home. In addition to working out I had to get my food under control. It really is true what they say, it is 80% nutrition and 20% fitness.

I am currently doing the Shaun T Focus T25 program and I love it. I lost 8 pounds the first month. I love the fact that it is 25 minutes and I can burn as much in the 25 minutes that normally takes me an hour at the gym!

You got this!! Good luck!
  • calpeachmfp
    calpeachmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, yobby,
    To begin with . . . good for you for NOT giving up! If you did it before you can do it again. : )
    Sounds like you have a lot going on. But I agree with another poster that said she had to start thinking about herself. That is not egocentric, it's simply smart . . . and crucial! We have to care about ourselves first . . . then we can take care of everybody else we need to.

I am 57 (gonna be 58 next month!), also used to be an athlete in HS and college. But have kept up exercise and playing sports. Though my weight has fluctuated as well. I, too, am a single mom (my daughter is in college now), and middle school teacher, so exercise is my therapy!

Okay, to make yourself a priority you need to do a few things. First off, that knee thing. Get it checked out. If you need physical therapy, do it.

Next, put yourself on a schedule. For example, mine goes a little like this:
    5:30 Get up, take vitamins, eat breakfast, read positive affirmations, do 10 minute online meditation (love it!)
    6:00 Exercise, drink 3 glasses of water
    6:30 Shower, dress, etc., get ready for school
    7:10 Leave for work
    9:30 Eat snack (apple with cinnamon or something similar)
    11:00 Eat lunch
    2:15 Eat snack
    3:15 Get home, check emails, relax
    4:00 Prep lunch for next day (sometimes I do this for the whole week on Sunday, makes it SO easy!)
    4:30 Eat dinner
    5-8:30 Read, chat with friends, etc., drink 6 more glasses of water
    8:30 Maybe a good protein snack, if I need it, check in with my mind & body to make sure all is well, 2nd 10 min. meditation
    8:45 Prep for bed, stretches
    9:00 TV for 1/2-1 hour
    10:00 Lights out!

I don't mean to make this sound simplistic, but there comes a point where we just have to stop making excuses and do it. The more structure we have in our lives, the easier things are. I still have my challenges, believe me! But, they make me stronger. : ) I am not at the exact weight I want, but I refuse to give up!

Here are five ways to help you succeed in your weight loss journey:
    1. Plan/Prepare
    2. Eat Breakfast
    3. Exercise
    4. Support ~ you are doing the right thing by engaging with this community!
    5. Set goals ~ one big goal, then break it down into smaller chunks

If you are interested in talking further, please feel free to friend me, or however it works on here! I am new here!
    Good luck, yobby!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not sure I would call myself athletic, but I have succeeded in losing 20+ pounds. I'm at the gym 4-5 days a week for a max hour per day, doing a mix of cardio, free weights, and HIIT classes. I work out at the office gym, so a few days a week are before work, and a few are in lieu of a lunch break. I try to plan/make breakfasts and lunches on the weekends. Dinners are usually planned the night before, or we grab something out of the freezer. I go a little higher with calories on the weekends (dining out, a glass of wine at home), which is sort of like your 20%.

I do feel like I spend a lot of time packing food, washing out tupperware, etc, which is pretty tedious... so you may consider that "obsessed with diet". For me, though, it would have been hard to lose the weight without that obsession. I do so much better when my meals are pre-planned.

Feel free to take a look at my diary if you think that'll help you--it's open. Not all my workouts are logged as I use a Fitbit, so I won't log treadmill/elliptical.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The main thing about being athletic in your 40's and beyond is your recovery time. Twenty-somethings can workout to exhaustion and be ready the next day to do it again. Older bodies need a little more time to recover. Allow for that and you can still set aggressive goals. For example, give yourself two days between weight lifting workouts instead of one.

Nutrition is also a lot more important since most people don't absorb all of our nutrients as well as we age and anti-oxidants are more important now than ever. Eat clean with fresh fruit and vegetables, adequate protein, good fats and stay well hydrated.
  • rakufire
    rakufire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am also 41, and used to do a LOT of martial arts, that was the fittest I had ever been. I quit all that quite a few years ago, and kind of forgot to replace it with anything, until recently...

I don't think it has to be too complicated to begin with. I joined the gym, and started logging my food here. Initially I didn't make any changes to my diet, just logged it so I knew exactly what I was eating. Changes started happening, just because I was actually paying attention - gradually some of my choices were replaced by better choices. That's an ongoing process, and I expect it always will be.

As far as the gym is concerned, right from the beginning I just went as often as my shift work schedule allowed. That is still the case, but my workouts have become more intense and effective as time has gone by. I found the classes a really good start point, as I didn't have to think too much and also I couldn't pike out too easily :P

The thing that surprised me is that the fitness I had all those years ago, which I had totally lost, came back so much faster than I ever expected. Just go at your own pace, and I think you will be pleased with your progress. 40 is not ancient, as it seems some people here are suggesting. I am way fitter now than I ever was back then, MUCH stronger, and I don't need days of recovery time between workouts, or to be wrapped in cotton wool because I'm 'old'. Just go for it, you won't regret it :)
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out if you would do better to ease into exercise and add more as you become used to the schedule, or if you would do better to go all in. I kind of suspect that you are an "all in/all out" person, and largely "all out" due to injury or some outside force (as opposed to being bored and quitting). Given that you get injured, and if the "all in/all out" is true for you, do you think you might do better to acclimate your body and time gradually? Like maybe 3 or 4 hours a week for 2-4 weeks, then add another 1-2 hours every couple weeks?

I wonder if you need to work with a trainer of some sort so that you can prevent injury anywhere on your body, but especially on your knees?

I personally didn't feel "athletic" until I went over 6 hours of exercise a week. Once I averaged at least 1.5 hours a day, I was finally able to permanently get my diet under control enough - because I didn't want to negate what I had spent all that time doing. When I was working out 3-5 hours a week, it just didn't hit me the same.

I do cross train, and I think you definitely need to do that when you are over 40 - to prevent injury. I feel better now than I ever did in my 20s.

It has taken me a long time to get where I am today, and I'm glad that it has. I know I'm not going back. NOW I am finally able to help my family and be the example for my kids that I need to be.

I love working out, and I always have. It has never been a chore for me - as in, something I was "supposed" to do - although many years it was hard to fit it into the schedule. What it takes after 40 - and at any age once you have a "real job and responsibilities" to get in the way - is commitment.
  • yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    to borrow from nike-- Just do it. Don't overthink it, just go do it.

I was athletic through high school, less so in college due to injury-- and than a couch potato until age 39. I'm now 44, 40+ pounds lighter, and more active than ever--- started slow with 4-5 hours of moderate cardio per week, added body weight strength training, and then weights, and then heavier weights.... in a little backslide ATM, but gearing up again....

You will feel younger, reinvigorated and generally just "good". I love being able to play in pick up games with my kids and their friends and never suck wind, I love being able to ski hard all day, and feel good the next day, ready to do it again, I love to be able to hike as much as I care to......

My nutrition is weak-- Im probably clean 75/25 at best times, and 50/50 at worst... still feel good---

Thanks! I had to "Just Do It" last night. I wasn't feeling it, exhausted, but ended up getting in a great workout and even pushed myself a little. What you have done sounds like what I'm doing right now. It's good to hear you had success with it!
  • yobby1969
    Options
    You need to figure out if you would do better to ease into exercise and add more as you become used to the schedule, or if you would do better to go all in. I kind of suspect that you are an "all in/all out" person, and largely "all out" due to injury or some outside force (as opposed to being bored and quitting). Given that you get injured, and if the "all in/all out" is true for you, do you think you might do better to acclimate your body and time gradually? Like maybe 3 or 4 hours a week for 2-4 weeks, then add another 1-2 hours every couple weeks?

I wonder if you need to work with a trainer of some sort so that you can prevent injury anywhere on your body, but especially on your knees?

I personally didn't feel "athletic" until I went over 6 hours of exercise a week. Once I averaged at least 1.5 hours a day, I was finally able to permanently get my diet under control enough - because I didn't want to negate what I had spent all that time doing. When I was working out 3-5 hours a week, it just didn't hit me the same.

I do cross train, and I think you definitely need to do that when you are over 40 - to prevent injury. I feel better now than I ever did in my 20s.

It has taken me a long time to get where I am today, and I'm glad that it has. I know I'm not going back. NOW I am finally able to help my family and be the example for my kids that I need to be.

I love working out, and I always have. It has never been a chore for me - as in, something I was "supposed" to do - although many years it was hard to fit it into the schedule. What it takes after 40 - and at any age once you have a "real job and responsibilities" to get in the way - is commitment.

You are completely right! I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. Trying to find more balance in everything I do these days. I love to workout too..but I like the fun and challenging workouts (Kickboxing, Zumba, Tabata) not the safe workouts (walking/swimming). I'm trying to slowly build back up my muscles to support my knee, so I can do at least one class a week, without injury. It's been hard to stay motivated by the boring cardio and circuit routines. I think I'm headed in the right direction, it will just take a little longer to get there! Thanks for the advice =)
  • yobby1969
    Options
    Your situation sounds familiar! I'm also a mom of a teen boy, dealing with work, life, stress, etc. I don't know if I'm athletic, but I'm over 40 (just turned cough - 48 - cough). I'm new-ish here -- been at this for 40 days. But here's what motivated me to make a daily commitment. I had to change mindset. As a woman, a mom and a business owner, I've always put everyone else's needs ahead of my own. I would say I was going to work out or take the time to plan a healthy meal, and then someone would need something (a ride, a report, or just some extra time) and I'd put off that hour a day I scheduled for a workout or that time to eat healthy...

I think that's hard for most women. The mom guilt! Good for you for adding your needs to the list. I'm working on that too!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and disabled now for almost 10 years. Took me a long time to get back to the gym. Mentally i wasn't ready. I was a powerlifter in the past 15 years to be exact. Work related incident resulted in me not being able to walk hardly at all. Most days the pain is almost too intense to handle but when i got my mind set to "go for broke" i signed up at the Y and took in my first day which was about 22mins long. I might no longer be able to grow tree trunk legs like before but i am pretty happy with being over 40 and still getting the looks from the 20 year olds. If you want something bad enough you take it. Only 5 months in but I am a long way from where i began. From not touching the gym in almost 5 years until today.
    1040354_1374573646094223_117979136_o_zps98e409d6.jpg
    1074575_1398714267013494_1844465062_o_zpsf6c000b1.jpg
  • daisygeep
    Options
    I am 45. I was never athletic but I was always thin and active. I worked in hospitals so was on my feet 8-12 hours a day. I had babies late in life at 40 and 42. Then I became a stay at home mom and I got flabby and squishy.

So now I need to exercise like I never have before. I started C25k a year ago and did a color run to prove to myself I could do it. I got into yoga and now have started doing spin classes as well as cardio/strength interval classes. I love my gym time because it is MY time with no kids crawling all over me!

I don't have any wise words other than to find things you enjoy doing. Get some great music. Buy some cute and comfy and supportive workout clothes. Make yourself think of it as YOUR time! Make your food beautiful fresh healthy food with the best produce you can find. Indulge in those great looking strawberries instead of some crap.

Good Luck!
  • tcmom72
    tcmom72 Posts: 32
    Options
    I am 41 and I can relate. Just do it seems simple but that is how you approach it. Try to find a fitness buddy if you can. I started out walking with a friend for half hour a day. It got difficult when my friends would cancel. The best thing I ever did is sign up for a martial arts class (Kung fu) with my two little girl. It was difficult at first but now I am keeping up (been going twice a week for 6 months). I now attend with my girls and take an additional class because I love it so much. Now my husband and 21 year old son want to attend because they see me getting into shape. If you can find an exercise class that you enjoy that might be helpful. The people in my Kung fu class really motivate me and they push me to be at every class. Good luck! Believe me...if I can do it you can do it. I know it's hard. I work full time and have 4 kids. Make time for yourself and take care of yourself. You deserve it and it makes you a better mom.
  • yobby1969
    Options
    I am 42 and disabled now for almost 10 years. Took me a long time to get back to the gym. Mentally i wasn't ready. I was a powerlifter in the past 15 years to be exact. Work related incident resulted in me not being able to walk hardly at all. Most days the pain is almost too intense to handle but when i got my mind set to "go for broke" i signed up at the Y and took in my first day which was about 22mins long. I might no longer be able to grow tree trunk legs like before but i am pretty happy with being over 40 and still getting the looks from the 20 year olds. If you want something bad enough you take it. Only 5 months in but I am a long way from where i began. From not touching the gym in almost 5 years until today.
    1040354_1374573646094223_117979136_o_zps98e409d6.jpg
    1074575_1398714267013494_1844465062_o_zpsf6c000b1.jpg

That's incredible. You look great and great attitude! Thanks
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, but my battle is not won until i see those abs hiding somewhere in my stomach to show themselves :P
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am willing to put in 4 to 5 hours a week of hard work in the gym, and eat clean 80% of the time, and leaving 20% for dining out, a weekly dessert.

Sounds like a plan. Don't get too hung up on the clean eating stuff. You can eat dessert every day so long as it fits into your calories, and if it helps adherence.
  • CarlaNeverGivenUp
    CarlaNeverGivenUp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes can do it with out living at the gym! About 5 years ago I joined a group and trained for sprint triathalons. I was in the best shape of my life yet my personal life at home suffered. I gave it up and packed the lbs back on. Finally this spring, I decided no more. I'm not going to do this battle any more. I'm done and it's over.

I was concerned it would take me forever to loose the weight because I had trained so hard and thought I had to do the same. NOT true. I found what I needed was encouragement and encouraging others, by logging on MFP, reading success stories, making friends and sharing food diaries and watching every body do all kinds of different excersise...it was the motivation I needed just to keep going.

It is truly a one day at time journey. I am a tortoise and the tortoise always wins the race! It's one day at a time for the rest of my life.

I started in May and have lost 10 lbs and have 10 more to go to my first goal.

I'm active now! And I love it! My most favorite thing to do is walk. I've started slogging some (a slow jog!) I bike with my kids, shoot baskets, and even have weighted hula hoop, play the wii fit...have exercise videos, weights, etc.

I pretty much do what exercise I feel like doing that day. I truly love to walk.

I also have counted calories and cleaned up my eating. I still have my scooters coffee most of the time!

You can do this! Feel free to friend me and we can encourage each other!

Blessings,
    Carla
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    All it takes is to start. 10 minutes a day. That plus arming yourself with some research on how to best nurture/overcome any injuries you might have is it. I wrote a book on how just 10 minutes a day changed my life. 65lbs later I do more than 10 minutes (lol) but that's how I got started. 10 mintues of really hard exercise a day will burn a couple pounds a month. It's not drastic but it **IS** lasting. If you are interested in that take a look at my profile for more details.

Self-plug aside, the answer to your question is "JUST GO" I have this written on my fridge (stole it from a friend who does this) and it's my reminder that no matter how I'm feeling to just go. 10 minutes if nothing else. Usually I "Just GO" for what I think will be 10 minutes and an hour later I've had a great workout. Some days I make it to minute 10 and that's all she wrote.

if you can spend 4-5 hrs a day in the gym great. But if you can't one day, don't get discouraged. Just do a little bit every day.
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to combine watching my diet and exercising at the same time. I have gone periods of working out before but never watched my calories. I had it easy growing up and could eat anything without gaining a pound and it has caught up to me now in my 40's. I weigh more now than I did with either pregnancy.

I am able to work out but need to watch the intensity due to health issues. I really love my treadmill because I can vary the speed according to what I can handle that day.

I need to work on eating a clean diet. I am a junk food/dessert junkie. My kids laugh and say the only reason I have Pinterest is so that I can pin dessert recipes. I now have various exercises and "real foods" pinned too. This is major for me.