When do you buy new clothes?

Options

Replies

• recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Keep the stuff that fits, get rid of the stuff that doesn't. You don't want an excuse to fit into them again AND it's never a waste to make yourself feel like a prince in some new threads. You're over half way through your goal so reward yourself a little!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I buy new clothes for my kids knowing that they will change sizes in 6-12 months. I also get a lot of 2nd hand things for the whole family for next to nothing - you can re-donate it when you're done losing weight and . . .

CONGRATS ON YOUR LOSS!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My classes start Sept 3rd. The waistband on all my pants is hitting the top of my hips, so I think now is a good time to buy new clothes. I have at least oh 75ish more pounds to go so I will be buying mostly skirts and dresses. My tops fit so no new tops unless I see something I hafta have. I will buy maybe two pair of pants they will be good to go til at least Feb-March or so at that point they might be terribly baggy, but no big it's a new season anyway. I am thinking 5 skirts, a couple of dresses and new underwear to get me through to spring.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I also agree with secondhand stores. You can also check out www.poshmark.com, a website where women of ALL SIZES sell clothes, shoes, jewelry, purses, etc for very reasonable prices. Its set up so if you do purchase from those selling, the funds from your debit/credit card are not released to the seller until you mark in the system that you've received the items. The sellers must ship via priority mail (poshmark rule), so I've received everything that I've ordered usually within 3 days (wish I would have known about this site a long time ago)!
  • splashtree2
    Options
    charity shops are great to my opinion i find great clothes i'm new with few pounds, i'm ok with my weight i'm going to bulk a bit and trim
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yep, secondhand stores until goal. Then it's new wardrobe time, can't wait!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters that said dresses too. They last longer. I have bought cotton sweater dresses for the winter and a large will fit from size 10 - 14. Also a dress with a higher waist is flattering and drapes nicely when you lose more. I also buy clothes that are a little tight. I bought a medium dress that is a little tight that I can still wear right now, but will fit perfectly in the spring. I also bought two black capris for the fall for work, a size 12 and a size 10. The 12s fit perfect and will look great with a fitted top. The 10s are tight, but still fit and I'll wear those with a looser top. The tens will still fit in the spring when I lose another 10 pounds, but the 12s probably won't.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    OP is a man. And a lot of people are recommending dresses! :laugh:

I hope he's progressive!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wow ok you definitely should get some new clothing. Even if its just two outfits!

Dress for the body you have today, not the one you may have next month!!!!!!

You worked really hard so make sure to go treat yourself. If you are worried about a budget, do like the previous users said and do TJ Maxx, Gap, or hell even Good Will Foundation.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I go to Goodwill every 10 pounds I lose.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I buy stretch fabric clothes in generic sizes and wear loads of skirts. I haven't worn pants in one year. :)
    I agree with the posters that said dresses too. They last longer. I have bought cotton sweater dresses for the winter and a large will fit from size 10 - 14. Also a dress with a higher waist is flattering and drapes nicely when you lose more. I also buy clothes that are a little tight. I bought a medium dress that is a little tight that I can still wear right now, but will fit perfectly in the spring. I also bought two black capris for the fall for work, a size 12 and a size 10. The 12s fit perfect and will look great with a fitted top. The 10s are tight, but still fit and I'll wear those with a looser top. The tens will still fit in the spring when I lose another 10 pounds, but the 12s probably won't.
    I'm kinda thinking HE won't want to wear skirts or dresses to work (probably not anywhere else either, but hey you never know... no judgments)
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The key to being a pro-thrifter is to go to the Goodwill and second hand stores that are in the nicest neighborhoods. I have one that I *love* in an upper-class town not far from where I live and they seriously have the most amazing clothes for cheap. I recently bought entire outfits that are brand new Banana Republic and would have cost me over $200 new, but I paid $4 for each piece. And I'm in the middle of losing weight, too, so I won't spend a lot on clothes.

It's almost like I "rent" clothes because I only have them for a couple months and then donate them and buy new ones. :D But this last trip of shopping I found so much expensive clothing that I'm thinking about getting it tailored in a few more pounds. The pants are already too big and I bought them like 3 weeks ago! Must have been bloated. lol

Way to go, too!
  • ISPEAKWHALE2
    ISPEAKWHALE2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Its makes me anxious to think about buying new clothes. I cant imagine myself in a smaller size. I have cleaned out my closet and gave a lot to my neice, but I don't work and I swim everyday so I do the exercise pants and tanks from OLD NAVY. I have to go to a funeral Saturday and Im sitting here trying to think what I should wear. A skirt I guess will do. I was thinking the same thing as to when you buy clothes? Does anyone else reach for the same size they were like I do? There's a lot of psychological changes that have gone on with us as well when we lose the weight. Funny I pass by a mirror but I don't recognize the person in it. I guess for now Ill stick with stretch pants and my uh....41 tanks from Old NAVY...:ohwell:
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I bought temporary clothes at lower end stores than where I would normally shop for my professional wardrobe then gave them as hand-me-downs to a friend who was right behind me on her weight-loss journey. Then, I made the mistake of going all out shopping just 4 pounds from my goal weight. Then the pounds kept coming off, so that I really lost another 10. Now, I have a closet full of clothes one to two sizes too big. I still wear the skirts and tops, but since everything is loose, I have to be careful not to use my clothing tightness as a sign to watch the diet or to just give up maintaining and "grow" into them.
  • DayDreamr_41
    Options
    I vote for thrift stores too. I'm down 2 sizes, so far & that's what I'm doing until I feel I earned my huge shopping spree LOL
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's tough when you know your pants won't fit again in 2-3 months. Shopping at the thrift store sometimes helps if you find something you like. I buy new clothes when I can afford to. Lately though, I'm still wearing things too big for me and using a belt.
  • YamRector
    YamRector Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Serious question. I'm down almost 35 pounds. My pants wont stay up. But I still have 20 to go. Why waste money on pants now, when they hopefully wont fit in 2-3 months.
    Get a few pieces that you love - shop at old navy, Marshalls, TJ Maxx to save money. You deserve it.

EXACTLY!:drinker:
  • sassyann45
    sassyann45 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I buy when my clothes are to big.. I check out all the clearance racks and resale stores. It is amazing what you can find when you look and the price is right. I then get rid of the bigger size , so that is not in my closet...lol!!! I have learned that when you wear clothes that fit people notice the weight loss and the compliments keeps me motivated.
  • phyl303
    phyl303 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm about halfway to my loss goal. For my work in the yard or camping pants, I had resorted to zip-tying two belt loops to one another to avoid looking like a fool with my pants on the ground. ;)

I spent my lunch hour at the Goodwill store and really scored!

Three pairs of work pants that are THREE sizes from my size six months ago and three blouses - none with an "X" much less two on the tag!!!
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I didnt buy clothes until I was around 40 or 50lbs down. Just used belts.

First time I went to buy a new pair of jeans, I ended up crying in the fitting rooms because I have no concept of what size I was and I ended up buying jeans that were 4 sizes smaller than I had been wearing. That was a tough day!

Now I buy cheap t'shirts and cheap casual clothes but my work clothes are anything but cheap. I've still got another 10lbs or so to go until I reach my initial goal (although I dont think I'll be satisified with it)