Learn to run 20 minutes without stopping..beginners!

Options
I will guide you through the method I use at the gym, it's great for people, who want to learn to run, maybe just to see if you can do it, maybe you want to run your first 5k, maybe you just want to add variety, either of those choices you will be building cardiovascular endurance. You can also get great tips from the running room..but here are mine

The time frame to reach the 20 minute mark is 8 weeks, The best ways to build your endurance is to go slow and easy, starting off with a walk-run interval, you will increase your calorie burn and will challenge your body.

Wk1: run 3x5 minutes with 2 minutes recovery..the recovery is the walk in between each run
Wk2: run 3x7 minutes with 2 minutes recovery
Wk3: run 3x9 minutes with 2 minutes recovery
Wk4: run 2x12 minutes with 3 minutes recovery
Wk5: run 2x15 minutes with 3 minutes recovery
Wk6: run 2x15 minutes with 2 minutes recovery
Wk7: run 2x17 minutes with 2 minutes recovery
Wk8: Run 20 minutes without stopping

Replies

• aubuysgirl
    aubuysgirl Posts: 23
    Options
    do i read this right..you run for three to five mins and then have a two min recover the first week? i would like to learn to run
  • rowie
    rowie Posts: 75
    Options
    That's about what i've heard before. From personal experience though, i found that 3 min. of running as a starting point is HARD! I started out doing run 1 min, recovery 1 min. then kept upping the run time. I have a lot of hills around here though, so maybe the longer intervals will work for others. Just sayin'.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    aubuys - no, I think it's 5 minutes, three times, resting 2 minutes between each run.

Think 5 minutes running is a little much for a beginner! I don't consider myself a beginner and 5 minutes is hard! But I'm not an endurance athlete, I'm more of an intensity athlete.
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! I am a seriously NEW person here & I truly appreciate your posts! Thanks for KEEPING IT REAL & SIMPLE. Let the newby running begin!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    wow so much negativity here....first off 5 minutes is very doable for anyone...I have a 67 yr old grandma whose 50 pounds overweight and walk-runs 5 minutes...I said in the beginning it's a walk-run interval. I'm not talking about jacking the speed to 6mph and running straight for 5 minutes. It's more like 5 minutes of a light jog, perhaps set the treadmill around 3.8-4.4 mph and you build up from there. You need to modify to your fitness level. I wouldn't have anyone start at less then 5 minutes if you are warmed up you can accomplish 5 minutes, of light, jogging/fast walking..I stand by that comment. The 2 minute run/2 minute rest is great if that works for you, but you're straight running, this is a walk/jog it's a different approach. I haven't had anyone yet, who hasn't been successful with this system, if I did, I of course wouldn't have posted this :tongue:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a negative comment on my part - just my own personal experience :glasses:
    I watched that big guy - Michael, on Biggest Loser do a 5k and I was still beside myself and scratching my head. Gawd, my 400m runs at crossfit kill me, mind you they are "for time" so it's balls out running, not a light jog or walk/run. I'd love to be able to run a 10K one day.
  • albrooks
    albrooks Posts: 2
    Options
    Question ................ I have a time with my calves (sides of them) hurting when I do a walk @ about 3 mph. I have tried stretching before I walk, walking in the evening (it seemed better than first thing in the morning - when I had no food or drink b/c it was too early), start out slower, etc... The latter 2 helped some, but still get that tightness ......................... any suggestions would be appreciative. Would like to get my speed up, but WOW -- hurts !!
  • cdwinters
    cdwinters Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    albrooks-I had the same problem and my trainer said it was that my shoes were not made for walking/running. She said it is difficult because you need different support to run than to walk. Not sure but got new shoes and haven't had the problem since.
  • albrooks
    albrooks Posts: 2
    Options
    Ok - may look into that !! Sounds like an easy fix ....... hope that does it !! Thanks !!! :happy:
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    thank you for your posts. I enjoy them!
  • talenamarie
    Options
    HELP...I am doing the program, but I had a question. Is it normal as a beginning runner to feel your thighs and calf muscles burn while you are running? Is this a good sign? I have already been fitted for my shoes and purchased running shoes my podiatrist recommended....BROOKS BABY. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated....Also as an early ex smoker(1 week)...it may be rough to run for 5 mins but you can do it if you set your mind to it.
  • edelq
    edelq Posts: 111
    Options
    bumping for later.,
    I can't start this right now, but wanted to start soon, I did Couch 2 5k before, this does sound much more challenging, but I reckon I could do it!! thanks!!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I like this...I am on my second round of trying c25k and the last time I hurt myself going from the 8 to the 20 minute run (hips seized up due to lower back damage from an old accident). I just started again but I think when I hit the 5 min runs I'll switch over to this program. It will stretch the program out but not as long as getting hurt did!!
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I will guide you through the method I use at the gym, it's great for people, who want to learn to run, maybe just to see if you can do it, maybe you want to run your first 5k, maybe you just want to add variety, either of those choices you will be building cardiovascular endurance. You can also get great tips from the running room..but here are mine

The time frame to reach the 20 minute mark is 8 weeks, The best ways to build your endurance is to go slow and easy, starting off with a walk-run interval, you will increase your calorie burn and will challenge your body.

Wk1: run 3x5 minutes with 2 minutes recovery..the recovery is the walk in between each run

I don't intend for this to sound negative because I really appreciate all that you bring to this board, but when I first started running I couldn't even begin to run 5 minutes. Most Couch to 5K programs start people off at running somewhere around 60 seconds. This is just my opinion, but asking someone who has never run before to run for 15 minutes (3x5) might be a little aggressive.

I guess my point to anyone reading this is...if you want to start running but you're not able to run for a straight five minutes like has been suggested above, then don't sweat it. Pick a time you can run and start working up from there.
  • berikashmerika
    Options
    i just wanna make sure im reading this right.. its run 3 minutes 5 times with 2 minute intervals?
  • angiereid
    Options

I don't intend for this to sound negative because I really appreciate all that you bring to this board, but when I first started running I couldn't even begin to run 5 minutes. Most Couch to 5K programs start people off at running somewhere around 60 seconds. This is just my opinion, but asking someone who has never run before to run for 15 minutes (3x5) might be a little aggressive.

I guess my point to anyone reading this is...if you want to start running but you're not able to run for a straight five minutes like has been suggested above, then don't sweat it. Pick a time you can run and start working up from there.

i agree with the second post i recently just finished couch to 5 k and i will give you the exact instructions from my phone here it goes:

week 1 5 minute warmup, then alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking for 20 min very important do not run every day do three times a week give your body a rest do every other day.

week 2 5 minute warmup, then alternate 90 seconds of jogging with 2 minutes of walking for 20 min

week 3 5 minute warmup , then do this twice: jog 90 seconds walk 90 seconds, jog 3minutes, walk 3 minutes

week 4 5 minute warmup, run 3 min walk 1:30, run 5:00, walk 2:30, run 3:00, walk 1:30, run 5:00

week 5 day 1 5 min warmup, then alternate 5 min jogs and 3min walks for 20 min: day 2 5min warmup, then jog 8min, walk for 5 jog for 8: day 3 5 min warmup jog for 20 min

week 6 day 1 warmup 5 , run 5 walk 3, run 8, walk 3, run 5: day 2 5 min warmup then jog 10min, walk for 3 jog for 10: day 3 5 min warmup then jog 25 min

week 7 5 min warmup then jog 25 min

week 8 5min warmup then jog 28 min

week 9 5 min warmup then jog 30 min

all of these end with a five minute cool down very impotant and don't forget to stretch, i used this and i just ran my first 5k it worked for me but i say do what works best for your body, this was just an example from my program on my phone
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i just wanna make sure im reading this right.. its run 3 minutes 5 times with 2 minute intervals?

Hmmm...maybe I misinterpreted. I read it as run 5 minutes and then walk two. Repeat until you've done it three times. If that's not right then I'm confused.
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I think she meant 3 circuits of running 5 minutes long with 2 minutes of walking in between.

I too will agree with some of the other posters that said 5 minutes may be too long for a first timer. Unless the person can measure or know's their 50-60% HR max for light jogging they may do too much too soon. Somebody would def. need to run alongside them to make sure they were going a good speed (unless they were on a treadmill?). Also, is this running done everyday, every other day, 5x a week, 3x a week?
  • angiereid
    Options

I think she meant 3 circuits of running 5 minutes long with 2 minutes of walking in between.

I too will agree with some of the other posters that said 5 minutes may be too long for a first timer. Unless the person can measure or know's their 50-60% HR max for light jogging they may do too much too soon. Somebody would def. need to run alongside them to make sure they were going a good speed (unless they were on a treadmill?). Also, is this running done everyday, every other day, 5x a week, 3x a week?

couch to 5k program states to do 3 time a week every other day to avoid injury and allow muscles to relax, i walk or do elliptical in between
  • jrsmithne
    Options
    Hmmm...maybe I misinterpreted. I read it as run 5 minutes and then walk two. Repeat until you've done it three times. If that's not right then I'm confused.

This is how I understand it too. I am doing the C25K program right now. I am due to start my 4th week. I don't think I could have started out running 5 minutes my first time out. I have completed a round of Insanity, so i am not totally out of shape. Still doing the Insanity workouts daily, just not following the calendar. one day I will do a month one workout, the next day I might do a month 2 workout. I have to say I am not a runner, though, trying to be, but running is a lot harder for me than most other workouts.