Ankle weights?

Options
I should start by saying I know nothing about working with weights. (Although that will probably become obvious when you read my question!) I was thinking about ways to make everyday tasks burn more calories. I wondered if wearing ankle weights might be a good idea? Or could you injure yourself by wearing them all day every day? Should they only be used for specific exercises?

Thanks,

Kate

Replies

• celtic_chick
    Options
    Hi, I used to lift weights all the time....just getting back into it now. Ankle weights are fine for using for exercise....for example, side leg lifts.....if you know how to do the exercise properly. But to wear them all day as you're walking around? Really hard on the knees and not really necessary. You could use an exercise ball to assist you in doing squats, use a "BOSU" trainer (looks like half an exercise ball on a flat platform), even walking/walking up and down stairs. Be creative and save your knees. :smile:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I should start by saying I know nothing about working with weights. (Although that will probably become obvious when you read my question!) I was thinking about ways to make everyday tasks burn more calories. I wondered if wearing ankle weights might be a good idea? Or could you injure yourself by wearing them all day every day? Should they only be used for specific exercises?

Thanks,

Kate

It is a bad idea to wear ankle weights all day, everyday. They put strain on tendons and joints and you could find yourself injured because of this extra strain and then unable to exercise at all.

Wearing them all day, everyday will not mean you burn more calories, only extra activity will burn more calories.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll knock that one on the head then!