Any Half Marathon Runners?

Options
I am running my first half marathon in Sept! I started running 4.5 months ago and have completed 2 5ks. I have been training for about 17 weeks for this half marathon! Any advice or tips on running this half?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lots hiding over at

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/111-long-distance-runners

I'm going to assume that you're following a training plan.

Tip # 1 - pace. Don't go out too fast, manage your energy and aim for a negative split. If there are pace bunnies latch on to the one closest to what you realistically think your finishing time may be.

Tip # 2 - nothing new. No new foods, shoes, clothes.....anything in the days leading up to the race and on race day. If you plan on using gels during the race make sure you're trained with them (some races will have gels at one or more of the water stations.....if it's not a brand you've used before give them a pass)

Tip # 3 - taper. Take it easy in the week leading up to the race, a few short, easy runs are ok. Don't be surprised if you feel a bit antsy - it's perfectly normal.

Tip # 4 - have fun. Your first HM is all about crossing the finish line with a smile on your face!
  • maja124moxie
    maja124moxie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I completed my first Half in February, and now trying for the full.
    My biggest advice would be to have fun and enjoy yourself! 13.1 miles can go by quickly if you are having fun. Also trust your plan and you will get it done!
    You can add my if you'd like so we can offer support as we go through this journey.
  • RunningToHealthy13
    Options
    Those are awesome tips! Thanks so much! I'm already nervous to run the race but I've trained to hard to turn back now :)
  • eej23
    eej23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY THIS!!!
  • eej23
    eej23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    that did not post to what i wanted it too. i was trying to agree with what one of the guys said, first one to comment i think. i've run several of them...you got this!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Lots hiding over at

Tip # 1 - pace. Don't go out too fast, manage your energy and aim for a negative split. If there are pace bunnies latch on to the one closest to what you realistically think your finishing time may be.

Tip # 2 - nothing new. No new foods, shoes, clothes.....anything in the days leading up to the race and on race day. If you plan on using gels during the race make sure you're trained with them (some races will have gels at one or more of the water stations.....if it's not a brand you've used before give them a pass)

Tip # 3 - taper. Take it easy in the week leading up to the race, a few short, easy runs are ok. Don't be surprised if you feel a bit antsy - it's perfectly normal.

Tip # 4 - have fun. Your first HM is all about crossing the finish line with a smile on your face!

Pretty much this. Though I chose to add a bit more to tip 4...I wanted to do more than just finish but that's just me. But everything else is right on.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I ran my first back in April and will be running # 2 this October...everyone has already given you great tips. Mine 2cents....1- don't go out too fast 2) hydrate hydrate hydrate...not just the day of your race but the whole week before. 3) try to increase your sodium ie pretzels a couple days before. 4) NO cotton socks!!
    Most importantly take it all in.....talk to the volunteers...high five people out cheering you...ENJOY!! Best of luck to you !!

one last thing TRUST IN YOUR TRAINING !! You got this girlfriend!!
  • tmlandgraf
    tmlandgraf Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have been training and are on the right path. Good luck to you!

I am doing my first half marathon in January. I just had surgery last week, so once the stitches are out and I am allowed to "sweat", my 20 week training will begin - should be another week and a half. I am excited but terrified at the same time.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Lots hiding over at

I third/possibly 4th this!

congratulations on signing up for your 1st! i finished my first on june 1st. 2:53 thank you very much and i'm quite proud of my accomplishment. For me it was all about crossing that finish line and running as long as i could without stopping (made it to mile 10) okay i did stop at mile 4 for a bathroom break (this was another goal - run as long as i could without having to pee - made it to 4). oh and don't stop at the first bathroom the line will be crazy long.

I can't stress how important tip 2 is! nothing new nada nothing not a single thing new - don't even try new foods leading up to the race. you don't want your tummy being in knots because of food it'll already be in knots because of excitement.

if you don't already - i suggest trying energy gummies. it came in handy at mile 9. i put one in my little pants pocket (it never tasted so good lint and all).

definitely look for the pace people. it helped me in the very beginning especially since i ran it by myself.

you're doing great with your training! most of all have fun the day of the race and CELEBRATE YOUR SUCCESS WHEN YOU CROSS! look for the camera guy and get your pic taken!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I've run three of them total, and one full. I've run quite a handful of 5K and 10K races, and I'm doing my first relay coming up next month.

The half is still my favorite distance to do as a single race, though at some point, when I'm not in nursing school and suffering through my education, I do want to try an ultra, because I'm a big fan of long distance in general.

Congrats! Make sure that you remember to just enjoy yourself. Look around, take pictures, enjoy the whole thing. It's supposed to be fun. I ran my first at Disneyland, and had a blast. :)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Got my 3rd and 4th halfs coming up in Oct and Nov. I agree with the tips so far. Not training enough on hills was my problem for my last half. So make sure you study the course map and try to train on similar terrain or the course itself if possible. Good luck! Halfs are fun!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ran my 3rd half this past May. Getting ready for a half on 9/28 and a FULL (yikes!!!) on 10/27. The advice you are getting is solid.

The only thing I would add, is not to set yourself up for disappointment by picking an unreasonable goal. I looked at my long run times and try to set a goal based on my longest long run. For my first marathon, my *stated* goal was sub 2:15. . .the goal in my head was sub 2:00. The running gods were smiling on my that day and I ran in 1:55. For my second half, my stated goal was sub 1:55...the goal in my head was 1:45 and I fell short with a 1:48 finish.

Manage your goals and realize that soooooo many people wish they could do what you are about to do!!! Be proud!!
  • RunningToHealthy13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! Love all of the advice! I am running this with my best friend so we should have a blast!
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    everyone gave you great advice; the Half is my favorite distance. I do one full marathon a year a few half marathons. You will do great. Just one thing someone told me that I will pass on

Smile and listen when people are cheering; They are CHEERING FOR YOU !!
  • laurabeardsley
    laurabeardsley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am running my first half marathon in October. So excited! I've been training with my long run Sunday, this week is 8 miles. Have any of you experienced weight gain while training for a long distance event? I have gained about 5 or 6 lbs, in what feels like overnight. I've researched on the Internet possible causes, and sounds like this is actually pretty normal. It's from glycogen in your muscles and retaining water to access the carb storage there. I'm not exactly sure how it works but it makes sense. I would love to be a buddy runtoheal. I am also doing my half by myself. Thanks for posting this, the tips are much needed for me. What's your longest run to date? Does anyone have any advice about how many miles should be ran before race day? I'm planning on 12.
  • FancyGirl7
    FancyGirl7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've only done one half marathon...and it was the last part of my Half Ironman. Lol! (swim, bike, run) The best piece of advice I can give is to train with whatever nutrition will be available at the race. Same brand of food and drink. Don't mess with new nutrition products on race day. Also, run with proper socks or you'll get horrible blisters! Ouch! Good luck and have fun! You've got this!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Start slow, see how you feel, if you feel great you'll have ton of time to speed up, if you don't feel your best you'll finish and be proud!
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've done three half marathons and my biggest advice from personal experience (which has already been mentioned!) is to start slow!! It's so exciting and it's hard not to go all-out right from the gate- but you'll thank yourself later!
  • hjobery
    hjobery Posts: 6
    Options
    Love this. Running the Rock n Roll Half in Vegas in November. Just want to follow. :)
  • CycleFlow
    Options
    I know alot of distance runners dont use music - but I did - I am by no means a "marathon, feel your body" type of person. There are times where DISTRACTION is needed.
    My playlist got me through the hard part of the race. I think I even reapeated the same song a few times.

Choose music where the tempo isnt too fast over all.
    Then pick a song or two you can use as power songs that you can flip to if needed.

Dont fall victim to that nasty gel **** they will try and give you either, it NEVER tastes good and its full of random crap.
    Drink the water or gatorade
    Shove a small snack that you know sits well in your tummy somewhere on your person (I put it in my bra.)

I put 1/2 a lara bar choped into small pieces and made two small servings of my own Chia energizer. I honestly cant remember if I used all of it or not.. I know I used the gel.. ate maybe half the lara bar while running.