Dieting heaven or hell?

Options
When I tell people I'm trying to loose weight, they always say things like how hard it is, or how dull it is or how bad it is having to exercise and live on salads.
I'm finding it quite the opposite. I'm loosing weight steadily, I'm loving exercise and the feeling of getting fitter and slimmer and I love all the food I'm eating. I don't mind counting calories as MFP makes it so easy for me.
Anyone else enjoying this?

Replies

• whiteshorts2013
    Options
    I feel sorry for people who say stuff like that. Losing weight and being fit & healthy is nothing like that at all.

I'm finally breaking through my plateau and losing the last 10 pounds, and I'm addicted to MFP. I think it's fun scanning foods in on my phone and I love that other apps like Runtastic connect to MFP and automatically adjust the calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I also am really enjoying myself! I don't think I've had a salad since mid-June! lol I've been eating more protein and veggies for sure, but it's been one pretty yummy adventure!
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Great Post! Now that I finally got it through to my head that I don't need to "starve" myself on 1200 calories per day. I am now enjoying the journey.

The biggest difference now is that I have the energy to "fuel" my workouts. I am having NSV's all the time with weights, stairmaster, etc. etc. etc.

I wrote something about how much I enjoy this now in the following post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071235-if-i-did-not-lose-a-singlelb-kg-stone-i-would-be-happy
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Great Post! Now that I finally got it through to my head that I don't need to "starve" myself on 1200 calories per day. I am now enjoying the journey.

The biggest difference now is that I have the energy to "fuel" my workouts. I am having NSV's all the time with weights, stairmaster, etc. etc. etc.

I wrote something about how much I enjoy this now in the following post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071235-if-i-did-not-lose-a-singlelb-kg-stone-i-would-be-happy

Thanks for the link.
    I have so much more energy now too and as I'm out of work I keep looking for things to do to use up that energy!!!
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Totally fun! I haven't been on long (about a month) and even though I've already had some nice results, the best is how much better I feel! I'm not really restrictive, but now I recognize portion sizes and really THINK about eating rather than mindlessly eating :)
    I'm excited to see and feel the difference in a few more months.....or a year!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am truly starting to enjoy it. :-)
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's heaven and hell. At night after I've finished logging my food for the day and I'm under my limit I feel great! I feel even better when I'm able to record a lower weight or measurement. But at the same time, it's *HELL*. All that delicious food I can't eat while my skinny friends go at it. I don't like having to skip out on the good little things or think about how many cups/ounces I'm eating. I like food and theres no changing that.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me it can be heaven and hell. It depends on my day, my mood, etc.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey since juli 2010 so over 3 yrs and for the most part I enjoy it, there are days when I dont and would love to run towards the chocolate lol. But I feel so much better,, I have more energy, I can do things with my family that I couldnt before, I love trying new healthy foods that i might not have tried, now I enjoy my food, even treats instead of mindless munching, I have met a lot of great people on mfp and I have inspired several of my friends and family members to get healthy and lose weight. So overall it has been an awesome journey
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I love it and sometimes I just wanna eat a whole pizza and veg on the couch. But I know its better not too and usually do the right things and that is what I enjoy the most (making good decisions).
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, it's both. Mostly awesome. Some days though . . .
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that the word 'diet' conjures up such negativity. It's a noun and means "The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats."

We are all 'on a diet'. Everyone, every where in the world! What we choose to be a part of our diet is what makes the difference in how we look and how we feel. If we eat in excess we gain weight, if we eat less then we can/may lose weight. People ask me all the time - What diet are you on? Are you starving? Do you have cravings? All they can think of is D I E T that four letter word that means RESTRICTIONS.

I say no, I am not "dieting" in the sense that they mean, i.e. restricting or starving myself - I am eating real food, in reasonable portions and actual serving sizes and I don't have cravings because I am not restricting myself from eating the foods I love.

I also happen to enjoy exercising, so that's a plus... anyway.. rant over.... :)
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It is only heaven or hell depending on how you are thinking towards it. If you're usually a negative person then it will be hell for you due to your outlook on a lot of things, however if you're someone who can be positive then you are the kind of person who will already see how you want to be and how to get their making the journey easy.

You really need to start thinking positive and doing positive things to change the way you look at life and your reactions. Losing weight is an experience and even the downsides to dieting can help you. Pushing yourself through the barrier of negativity will see you enjoy the simplest things in life.

If you ever need motivation then may I suggest youtube Kai Greene motivation.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think it can be dull and hell until it becomes you. When the "old" you breaks out of the old routine, there's a period of adjustment. I'm a different person than who I see in pictures of me from when I started and before. The old me wouldn't have done what the new me is capable of. He was soft, weak and depended on comfort in eating. I'm not now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think it's easy...all you have to do is maintain a certain calorie goal...I made better overall nutritional decisions but still ate pizza, drank beer, chowed down on burgers and fries, etc...never deprived. Very easily lost 40 Lbs and have been maintaining now for about 4-5 months easily. Once you know how to properly fuel your body and activity then it's all very simple and completely painless.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm making a very serious effort to make sure I'm not depriving myself. If I want pizza/burgers/beer I go for it and usually do a good job at planning for it so as not to go over my daily goal. So it is mostly heaven for me, especially with NSV's (I just realized this morning how easy it is for me to get out of my car now!) The only hell I've had in the past two months was two nights ago when I went to Boston Market for dinner and had to sit there and smell the glorious macaroni and cheese while I munched on my (well prepared and tasty) green beans and corn. Sometimes it is hard to say no to another glass of wine or scotch, but the next day I feel twice as good for doing it.
  • jaygirl8628
    Options
    Awesome post. Dieting to me makes me feel good because I know I am making the right change and getting on track. The only time I feel that dieting is truly hell is when i fall off track with little binging episodes where I scarf down chips or cakes, etc. That is something I need to get a hold of though. When I do well, I feel so empowered to do more and keep going!
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that the word 'diet' conjures up such negativity. It's a noun and means "The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats."

We are all 'on a diet'. Everyone, every where in the world! What we choose to be a part of our diet is what makes the difference in how we look and how we feel. If we eat in excess we gain weight, if we eat less then we can/may lose weight. People ask me all the time - What diet are you on? Are you starving? Do you have cravings? All they can think of is D I E T that four letter word that means RESTRICTIONS.

I say no, I am not "dieting" in the sense that they mean, i.e. restricting or starving myself - I am eating real food, in reasonable portions and actual serving sizes and I don't have cravings because I am not restricting myself from eating the foods I love.

I also happen to enjoy exercising, so that's a plus... anyway.. rant over.... :)

This is why I hate to even say I'm on a diet, as you say "it conjures up such negativity" I end up saying I'm trying to get fit & healthy.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    People fear change and rebel at the mindset needed for true change. So they find a way to make it so miserable in their mind that it can become an excuse to not do it. Then they plant those seeds of discontent in your brain to make it so they are not alone in their thinking - everyone wants to fit in. So now that you have heard these complaints you now have to fight hard to not make them yours.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It has been an easy seven months. I eat less and move more. Not hard at all.