Gym workout help

Options
I recently got my gym membership. (Not looking for feedback on that...I actually love the gym plus it has free babysitting for the kiddos so it's my best option for working out).

I plan on going 5-6X's a week. On 2-3 of those days, I have signed up for a Zumba class, a spinning class, and a Drums Alive Class.

I'm also working on Couch to 5K.

I like variety. Have I mentioned that? lol

So here is my question. I'm also wanting to incorporate weight training. I can not do it every day I'm in the gym because some of those days the babysitting is limited to 1.5 hours. I know traditional thinking says that to only work on half of your muscle groups each day and alternate to give your body a rest. However, what if I did all of the muscle groups on the same day, then only weight train every other day? (I'm not afraid to be sore!)

I've got about 80 lbs left to lose to get myself to a normal BMI - which is my end goal.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Full body weight training three days a week (a day off in between) is perfectly fine. It's how I've done it in the past, and it's how lots of people do it. I'd highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the "Big 5": squats, deadlifts, bench, bent over rows, OHP. The All Pro beginner routine listed in the bodybuilding.com forums is a great place to start.
  • mmjensen2010
    mmjensen2010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A day where you do all your muscles is not bad. In fact if you are not really breaking your muscle tissue on those weight training days you don't even need a day in between. If find yourself with some extra time one day you could actually to weight training on consecutive days, provided you didn't go ALL out the day before and you are not sore. Good Luck!
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that is good to know. (What both of you said).

Our gym is equipped with Fitlinxx machines, which is nice because it remembers your weights and settings, registers your (pre-programmed) range of motion, and reps. It will be good to give me direction for starting.

And JenMc, I often bench my little ones at home! (32 lb and 13 lbs - the 32 is getting to be a challenge but he loves it!! lol)