Fight with Boyfriend

Options
2»

Replies

• lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! We had a long talk about it and reached an agreement. I do the shopping, so most of the time, the junk is not in the house. However, lately he has been coming with me and throwing junk food in the cart when Im not looking ( hm...is this child like or what?!). Anyways, I said it would make things much easier on me if he got small portions of the snack he wants, and finish them, so it's not lingering around. Like today, I bought him a single serving of browniw..I think they are made from Dunkin Heinz.
    It tough, I new to this whole thing. I never lived with a guy before and it seems like I am trying to get him to like my food so much, that I am losing track of what is keeping me healthy.
    As for anyone that can have junk in the house, I hope I can get to that point one day, but as for now, It makes things much harder than they need to be. This does not mean I am controling him, or I need him to lose weight with me. He can eat whatver he wants when Im not around, not up to me. But, Im not cooking crap, and Im not buying crap either.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    and that is the best way to deal with it. no matter what any of us say, we are not in your situation nor do we know you or your relationship with him.

You guys came to an agreement thats great, that shows he is supportive of what you are doing. Sometimes its easy to lose focus of the goal if its not your own (which its not his). Sounds like you have a good line of communication open so good job.

So keep up the good work. You have the drive and the determination, the rest comes with practice. :o)
  • lee112780
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! You help shed some light on the subject :smile:
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    2: my before fat photo is taped to the snack cabinet

LoL
    Some discouragement! :laugh:
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    I guess I am really lucky. I work nights and live in a less than safe area to to much going out in the evenings for shopping. So he typically takes care of the shopping. For us, sunday's are the day that the shopping is done and that morning before I go to bed we set up the list. Basically he has the power to get whatever he wants at the store, but we work it out together. Some things he changed to make our evening meal together healthier but as far as lunch's and snacks go, its mine and his stuff. Over the past several months though, he has really started adapting in my changes to his lunch's and snacks.

Self Control is possibly one the hardest aspects of this entire change. I still stand beside that if there is something you really want, you should have it. You have to learn not to binge and act in moderation of those actions. As a reminder of what I can do, I still have 3 cans of Mt. Dew in the fridge from the day I swore off soda when I started... I know that they are well past expired at this point but to me, I conquered my greatest weakness. You can do just about anything if you put your mind to it. And the soda thing taught me one thing... I was just being lazy because soda was easier, not better.
  • lee112780
    Options
    I guess I am really lucky. I work nights and live in a less than safe area to to much going out in the evenings for shopping. So he typically takes care of the shopping. For us, sunday's are the day that the shopping is done and that morning before I go to bed we set up the list. Basically he has the power to get whatever he wants at the store, but we work it out together. Some things he changed to make our evening meal together healthier but as far as lunch's and snacks go, its mine and his stuff. Over the past several months though, he has really started adapting in my changes to his lunch's and snacks.

Self Control is possibly one the hardest aspects of this entire change. I still stand beside that if there is something you really want, you should have it. You have to learn not to binge and act in moderation of those actions. As a reminder of what I can do, I still have 3 cans of Mt. Dew in the fridge from the day I swore off soda when I started... I know that they are well past expired at this point but to me, I conquered my greatest weakness. You can do just about anything if you put your mind to it. And the soda thing taught me one thing... I was just being lazy because soda was easier, not better.

Yes, You are right! I WANT to be able to have a little bit of a fattening snack, and then be able to put it away. I need to learn motivation. But I have to ease into it I think. How did u do it?
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    I have a slightly different problem - my husband does the main shopping because he drives and I don't, and he buys all the main groceries, meat, and vegetables for the family. I buy my own supplies for work day lunches - light bread, wafer thin ham, lowfat cheese slices, cherry tomatoes, apples, cereal bars,and low calorie cup-a-soups - and every morning, I find MY bread is in the toaster, my cereal bars have been devoured, the apples have all gone etc:sad:
  • lee112780
    Options
    I have a slightly different problem - my husband does the main shopping because he drives and I don't, and he buys all the main groceries, meat, and vegetables for the family. I buy my own supplies for work day lunches - light bread, wafer thin ham, lowfat cheese slices, cherry tomatoes, apples, cereal bars,and low calorie cup-a-soups - and every morning, I find MY bread is in the toaster, my cereal bars have been devoured, the apples have all gone etc:sad:
    REALLY?! hehe well, atleast he is being healthy. The apples remind me of the time me and bf went food shopping, and we didnt have a lot of money. He was buying a case of beer, and he says " We are really low on cash hun, do you REALLY need those apples?" I yelled at him in front of everyone LOL
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    I would have yelled too!!!
    And I would have probably quoted the nutritional content of the beer compared to the apples just to make my point!:bigsmile:
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, keeping the junk out of the house is not a good idea if that is what he wants... temptation is everywhere as there are fast food joints on every corner, delivery, gas station candies, etc... learning to maintain your healthy lifestyle with it in your home is realistic unless he is willing to change. I buy junk for my husband and kids but we also model good eating habits for them and now they are starting to chose different snacks sometimes. I have found that I can better avoid those temptations by making it a choice for me and not a flat out restriction. I run the show about what goes in my mouth- food does not control me anymore. I can eat it if I want it- but it isn't worthy of MY taste buds. :laugh:
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    In my family, me and my little sister are the only ones who are trying to lose weight. My parents, me and my two sisters have been obese for years, (I thankfully am no longer obese). My mother has the completely wrong idea of what healthy is, my dad just says eat what you want but not too much, however, they are both obese and bad role models. They complain about me and my sisters when they are the ones who brought us up into the bad eating habits that we have today! They buy so much junk it's unreal and tell us to eat some but when we do, later they complain about how large we are again.

It is hard, I have to cook separately from my mother as she cooks with so much oil and double or even triple the amount of ingredients! There was a bowl of salad on the table and I thought, Oh yay! something I can eat with everyone else. But guess what she added...too much oil and a foreign salad dressing with no ingredients in english or even nutritional info.

My mother gets so angry that I don't eat her food anymore and it just seems that no matter what I do, she'll just complain about it anyway. If I do decide to have say 1 bar of chocolate, which I am allowed to have, I'll have big sis come up to me and say 'you're on a diet, you shouldn't be eating that'. Yeah, says the girl who won't do **** about her obesity or let alone even try.

You just can't win sometimes, but the best thing to do is just do what you need to do. Learn to deal with your food demons because it's a valuable lesson to learn from escaping what we got ourselves into. Talk to your boyfriend, family members etc about helping to support you, get them involved if you can.

Plus you can always come on here to distract yourself :smile:

Good luck hunny xxx
  • dresdenkali
    Options

Yes, You are right! I WANT to be able to have a little bit of a fattening snack, and then be able to put it away. I need to learn motivation. But I have to ease into it I think. How did u do it?

It helps in part to be stubborn like a mule at times. But, its not been easy.. It helps more to have healthy options... If you have to make the conscious choice between healthy or junk its easier to choose whats right. I try and keep some various fruits, rice cakes and low cal/fat pop corn types of things around.