Did " in 5 weeks you would weigh..." worked for you?

Options
I am just 2 weeks busy with MFP, so far goes very well, I exercise a lot, eat healthy and manage good Net results.

Each day when i complete the diary I get the message with projected weight (if everyday was like that).

I really like it, makes me always smile and keeps me motivated BUT.... is that reality?

Can my older MFP colleagues share their experience?

Replies

• Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The 5 week prediction has not worked for me because I don't eat the same way everyday , some days I'm at goal and some days I'm under/over so I get different estimations every day.

But I do enjoy seeing the number , it gives me something to look forward to and it also helps me see the how I gained weigh in the first place thing.
  • elaanne
    elaanne Posts: 35
    Options
    I have been kicking myself for not jotting that number down once a week and seeing if it was accurate or not! I'm looking forward to hearing if anyone has found it at all accurate over the long-term.
  • marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    did not match mine... I too am over and under daily; it is a great motivator though!!
  • hudson5473
    hudson5473 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Really hasnt worked for me recently. Its been saying I should be losing weight but the scale says otherwise. I still do feel better and the scale isnt always the greatest tool.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Nah. It's just a little perk to let you know you're eating/exercising in the right direction. As long as my number is generally lower than my current weight, it gives me a self-satisfied vibe if nothing else.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's a nice thought, but not accurate.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    for the first year, it did, almost every single time.
  • nikki2001
    nikki2001 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am testing this theory now I will check back on 8/26/13 when my 5 weeks is up :)
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I vary too much from day to day for this feature to be accurate enough to motivate me. I get more motivation from the days-in-a-row counter. Nothing more annoying than missing one day for a reason you can't control (e.g. my internet router went down, and even though I logged in the app, I couldn't sync with the website until the router was replaced) and having that reset to zero.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Requires calibration
  • womanlady
    womanlady Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It has previously worked for me :) it's a great motivator
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hasn't worked a bit for me.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It has been pretty accurate for me, at least now that I am in maintenance mode. My net calories are mostly even thru the week, as the graph in the report shows, even if my total and daily amounts fluctuate some.

It is a nice comment to see, it gives you and idea if you are heading in the right direction or not, but I don't take it very seriously.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Copy and paste that number into your little "notes box" every day and then you can go back and check to see if you are at that goal.
  • samuelsson
    samuelsson Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nope. It said I would be 7 pounds lower than I actually am, 5 weeks later. Boo. But I'm aiming now for NSVs to take my mind off the scale numbers, because I know I'm gaining muscle mass with lifting and exercising, and I'm feeling better overall.

I did jot down my number when I started 6 weeks ago, and last week those numbers did not match up. =( As others said, though, it's still a motivator!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Actually, it has worked with me almost perfectly...over the long term. I have lost about 31-32 lbs since the beginning of the year. That is almost exactly 1 lb per week which would correlate with the deficit I've been maintaining (500 Cals per day or 3500 Cals per week). The thing is, weight loss is not linear. You lose a bunch on weight, and then you hit a plateau. You lose some more weight, another plateau, and so on.

This is why I alway stress persistence. People get so frustrated when they hit a plateau. Keep going!
  • PlayboyMickey81
    Options
    Hahaha I know the feeling. It does make you feel good, doesn't it? I'm barely in it for a month now that I exercise and eat healthy everyday for about 35 days straight, eventhough I joined way back when. I did lose a lot of weight with this app :) but of course when I weight myself, only lost like 10 lbs so far but thats because I'm also lifting weights. I think if I just do cardio straight for a month, would probably lost another 10 lbs :) but it's ok because as long as you see the results in the mirror and the clothes you're wearing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No because MFP uses a formula that grossly underestimates my metabolism. It says I will gain a pound on weeks that I lose a pound.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Actually, it has worked with me almost perfectly...over the long term. I have lost about 31-32 lbs since the beginning of the year. That is almost exactly 1 lb per week which would correlate with the deficit I've been maintaining (500 Cals per day or 3500 Cals per week). The thing is, weight loss is not linear. You lose a bunch on weight, and then you hit a plateau. You lose some more weight, another plateau, and so on.

This is why I alway stress persistence. People get so frustrated when they hit a plateau. Keep going!

Also, forgot to add that you have to lower your calorie goal as you lose weight. TDEE decreases as you lose weight. This is what's partially behind plateau frustrations and starvation mode myths.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hell no.