Cinemark Movie Popcorn Info

Options
I looked up Cinemark Movie Popcorn info in the data base and it said there was 910 calories in the large tub but that was without butter . Can anyone tell me how many additional calories for adding butter topping? Thanks.

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yikes, that's without butter? I'm glad I stay away from the popcorn at the movies. I'm going to tell my husband though because he eats the whole large buttered by himself. Maybe he'll choose a small next time??? Probably not :)
  • johnna1212
    johnna1212 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    120- 130 calories per tablespoon. http://www.cspinet.org/nah/articles/moviepopcorn.html
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm sure all the movie popcorn is the same, so you could look up AMC movie popcorn or Regal movie popcorn. Here's what I found for "Regal Movie Theater - Large Buttered Popcorn With Salt, 1 container" - Calories - 1,984 !!!! Yikes!
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The better thing is to never eat movie popcorn. Unless that is your one meal for the day... Or days.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm sure all the movie popcorn is the same, so you could look up AMC movie popcorn or Regal movie popcorn. Here's what I found for "Regal Movie Theater - Large Buttered Popcorn With Salt, 1 container" - Calories - 1,984 !!!! Yikes!

That is craaaaaazy!! So glad I rarely go to the movies...and when I do I get a small just because they're so darn expensive! Even the small doesn't all get eaten though.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    but HOW?!! It's airpopped!! And you don't get butter here
  • suecan2
    suecan2 Posts: 45
    Options
    i looked one time and found 1640 for the large with butter, which had 128gm of fat (73 of it saturated) and with the large pop --- nearly (or over) 2000 calories :((((((( WTH!!!!!!!!!!! and some people do dinner and a movie (i bet they saved room for popcorn). that's criminal activity to the body...
  • DaveS_63
    DaveS_63 Posts: 50
    Options

It's not air popped. it is popped in lard, coated with salt and butter. Watch how much butter they add to a tub next time. Each one of those squirts is about 5 tablespoons and they put at least three or four in. UGGGH! I can feel my arteries clogging....

Having said that, I find movie pop corn delicious, and get some each time i see a movie. Sometimes you just gotta have it.
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Holy moly! I'm glad I don't really care for movie theater popcorn. I'll stick to stovetop popping mine with a bit of olive oil, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper tyvm. :noway:
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options

It's not air popped. it is popped in lard, coated with salt and butter. Watch how much butter they add to a tub next time. Each one of those squirts is about 5 tablespoons and they put at least three or four in. UGGGH! I can feel my arteries clogging....

Having said that, I find movie pop corn delicious, and get some each time i see a movie. Sometimes you just gotta have it.

It's air popped here, and vegan, nobody would dream of putting lard or butter on it here
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This is seriously an eye opener!!!! I had NO idea!!!! I mean I had SOME of an idea, but no where NEAR what you guys are saying! And I absolutely love their popcorn WITH the butter! Small next time for sure, and make sure I only eat HALF of THAT! Thanks for the info!!!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    We go to the movies maybe twice a month and on those days we do a light breakfast skip lunch (always go to the matinee) and split a large popcorn and have 2 medium coke zero's. To me life is far to short to not enjoy it so we work it into our day and then do salads that evening for supper.... Hasn't hindered my/our weight loss.......
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wow that's insane!! Especially when you consider the air popped you can make at home is one of the BEST snacks you can have in regards to cals/fat... (of course you can't load it with butter lol)

I guess next time I go to the movies I'll bring my 'own' popcorn lol
  • crzycylr
    crzycylr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great information, thanks for sharing! I have a young son and we are always going to the movies. Note to self.....stay the hell away from the popcorn, so not worth it to me! :indifferent:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    The movie theater we go to, I always get the small (5 cups) popcorn, no butter, it's about 350 calories and also I get a water bottle with it!! :happy:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Great information, thanks for sharing! I have a young son and we are always going to the movies. Note to self.....stay the hell away from the popcorn, so not worth it to me! :indifferent:

Why not just get a small popcorn without butter?? Moderation is the key word!! JS :happy:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    A Large is 20+ cups of popcorn. Anything with that kind of volume is going to be loaded with calories and have enough sodium to hold on to pounds of water weight. AMC and Regal pop in coconut oil while Cinemark pops in canola oil. Nobody pops in lard. As for the buttery topping, it is non-hydrogenated soybean oil flavored to taste like butter. It has basically the same calories as adding a straight oil or straight fat to the popcorn.

I love movie theater popcorn and eat it every time I go, and the kid size, at 6 cups, is plenty for 3 people. If we're really hungry for snacks, the small is 8 cups. That's plenty for a snack for 3.

Movie theater popcorn is just like any other treat. Consume in moderation.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    We go to the movies maybe twice a month and on those days we do a light breakfast skip lunch (always go to the matinee) and split a large popcorn and have 2 medium coke zero's. To me life is far to short to not enjoy it so we work it into our day and then do salads that evening for supper.... Hasn't hindered my/our weight loss.......

OMG! Are you psychic?! I plan on going to the movies this weekend (only go maybe once every 3 months or so) and I really want to enjoy some buttery popcorn. I like this response. I am going to ENJOY some. HOWEVER, I do plan an intense and long workout that day to try and compensate for some of those Huge Calories.

My guess was about 2500 cals for a large.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It's not even butter. It's butter flavored oil. :sick: