Birth Control agony!

Options
13»

Replies

• breesasha
    breesasha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on the pill as well, it was so much so that I got off the pill. The pill made me feel like I was STARVING all the time, and I had no energy even when I got a full night's rest so I never wanted to work out. Once I got off the pill, I saw that my careful eating habits and exercise made a huge difference.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Currently using Implanon. I get my period every other week. Complete with cramps bloating and cravings. I am having no problems losing weight.

This sounds awful! I got my Implanon put in in April and two months later had my period for almost an entire month. Now I haven't seen it in a while. I don't like how unpredictable it is, but I love that I literally have to do nothing.

OP, I was on the pill for about 7 years prior to my implant and never had any issues losing weight. I can't speak for getting off Depo, but you shouldn't have any issues with pills. The only thing is that they're a total pain to remember to take every day (if you're like me).
  • mnharrington
    mnharrington Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill for several years and found that Seasonale and Seasonique both made me crazy. I felt constantly angry while on both. I have been on Depo for 6 years and I have certainly gained weight on it and noticed a greater difficulty losing weight while on it. I am currently in the process of coming off of Depo since I recently had the Essure procedure. I would double check with your doctor and your insurance about your options. My insurance actually covered my Essure procedure in full.
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Make your partner wear protections. There's way too many risks with birth control for women!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Through over 30 years of "dating" a wide variety of gentlemen, I found the diaphragm to be 100% effective. Sometimes, the oldies are indeed goodies. No systemic drug to take, no side effects, and some of the "scentless" spermicidal products are also tasteless. (My girlfriends and I taste tested a variety of them.) I know I was fertile for at least some of those 30 years because the one time I didn't bother with birth control, well, you can guess what happened.

Yep- that's pretty much my story. It doesn't work if you leave it in the drawer. ;-)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Best bet - talk to your doctor. Only they know your medical history and can give you appropriate advice.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I've had a Mirena for 2.5 years....and I don't get how people say it is like Depo...that stuff is systemic and the Mirena is local, like the difference between taking a Benadryl for itching or putting cream on your skin. But I digress...I've had both a Mirena and a Copper IUD and I would never use anything else again....both are great.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Whatever you get....do NOT get MIRENA!! I am done with birth control, my husband and I have just resorted to condoms, which we HATE, but I'd rather use that than be a crazy person on hormones and keep gaining weight! I had every side effect under the sun with Mirena. Not the little minor ones the doctor MIGHT tell you about, I'm talking the one that are on blog sites and forums with tons of women sharing their stories about it. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and also may have PCOS now. It's crazy what birth control can do to your body. Good luck with what ever you choose! I am a totally different person now that I'm not on anything! And I personally know a hand full of friends who have had Mirena and hated it as well :/ Just definitely do a lot of research before you choose something. And not just on the product's website, search the internet and read forums and blogs from real people...that is where your true information will come from. The information packets and information from the company's website don't tell you much at all.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just use a non hormone birth control, like condoms
  • jaygirl8628
    Options
    Birth control can mess with people. I have been on the same pill for years and I haven't noticed any side effects.