Eating when bored! suggestions?

Options
I don't know about any of you, but I when I sit down on the couch the end of the day after work and chores and dinner..I have about 3 hours until bedtime..I turn on the tv and find myself needing to munch on something constantly..How do you combat this? I already know about drinking water and chewing gum, but sometimes we need more then that...any suggestions? otherwise just thinking about eating while watching the tube :/

Replies

• tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Try and mix up what you do at night - watching TV is a really passive (but enjoyable!) activity that lends itself well to 'attacks of the munchies'... maybe you could try playing the PS3 or the Wii just to shake things up a bit, if you are into gaming. Other than that, if you know you're going to want to snack, think about saving some of your daily calories for some healthier snack options during your telly time x
  • Resa001
    Resa001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem whenever I watch tv or even at my desk at work. : ( I mainly drink coffee, tea, or as you mentioned, water. If that doesn't cut it, I snack on something low cal... cucumbers, celery, berries, apple slices. I have a friend who keeps her hands busy by knitting, she says that helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Generally I would say get up and do something else...but when it's that last couple hours before bed tv...I just used to have it planned out in my diary...what I was going to munch on and how much...no biggie.
  • CharityC2182
    CharityC2182 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You all are right!
  • goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It sounds really stupid but I do this: I look at Pinterest. I just surf around and post...yep, even food. Sometimes for just a very brief time; sometimes longer. It is my downtime window shopping I guess. Oddly enough it does not make me hungry. Won't work for everyone but I know I can't be the only one who does this...there are actually pins about it. ????
  • biodorkus
    biodorkus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn (no oil) and pomegranate arils are both fun and crunchy low-cal options!
  • CharityC2182
    Options
    Sounds like a really good idea!
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I make a nice thick protein shake with about 200ml of low-fat yogurt, 6-8 oz of skim milk, a little water and ice and a scoop and a half of ON 100% whey... I grab a stogey, light up and watch a movie. I drink the shake over the course of the movie and I couldn't even imagine eating anything else the rest of the night when I'm done. I don't know why, but it fills me up to the top. I just did that, and I'm SOOOO full.

Sometimes, when I'm on a caloric deficit and I know I'm at my limit for the day, I just go to bed early. It helps when the cravings get bad, and lack of sleep is the number one downfall when it comes to my diet. If I'm rested, temptation doesn't come knocking. Only when I'm tired do I have problems controlling my cravings.
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Learn how to knit or take up some other craft to keep your hands busy!
  • jaygirl8628
    Options
    Ugh I have the same issue. Always thinking about food when my day ends!
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also, what helps is that while exercise makes you hungry to a point, I find that if I do enough each day there comes a point where it is almost impossible to eat too much, as long as I keep it clean.

I bike 3 miles each way to work, get a mile and a half on the treadmill before my lift and then hit the weights hard for 60 minutes. For a guy of my age and eight that's 1000 calorie burn, give or take. I can eat almost any quantity of healthy food with out going too far over my daily goal.

The weekends are harder when I take a break. I have to bring my food intake down to planet earth when I'm not working out that hard.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My solution is simple: don't get bored! Play a game, clean your house, knit a sweater, go for a walk, etc.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    3-4 glasses of water keeps my hunger at bay
  • CharityC2182
    Options
    Also, what helps is that while exercise makes you hungry to a point, I find that if I do enough each day there comes a point where it is almost impossible to eat too much, as long as I keep it clean.

I bike 3 miles each way to work, get a mile and a half on the treadmill before my lift and then hit the weights hard for 60 minutes. For a guy of my age and eight that's 1000 calorie burn, give or take. I can eat almost any quantity of healthy food with out going too far over my daily goal.

The weekends are harder when I take a break. I have to bring my food intake down to planet earth when I'm not working out that hard.

Have learned you can eat some of your calories back too!...I do intense cardio and am starving by the end of the day..I save most then on workout days..workout days don't eat as much go figure!
  • goldfishgoo
    goldfishgoo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE some clarification on 'eating back' calories!!! I walk/jog ~5.5k daily. I'm trying to build to do a 10k run this Thanksgiving. Anyone?(&thanks)