100 Days Logged

Options
wordstill
wordstill Posts: 16 Member
It all started mid April. I was 212 lbs, smoker for 15 years and drinking alcohol a few times a month. Heaviest I've ever been. I've struggled with weight gains of 60 lbs and loss of 40 lbs on and off for pretty much my mid to late 20's. Tired and depressed of feeling like ****, the way I looked and the the fact that i want to live for as long as i can, I started looking for apps on Android to help track my calorie intake to help lose weight and found MFP as I was previously using another app that didn't have the food database that MFP had, so I switched.

Did everything automatically with my calorie intake on MFP for a month and a half and noticed that i plateaued. I was still eating what I wanted just cutting it back so that I would make a deficit. So I did some research and found out how to push past that plateau with TDEE. Mind you, I wasn't exercising. Just taking the dog for her walks.

It wasn't until the last week of June that I decided to be more active. So, I decided to start going for runs. Logging 21km in my first week. Then I got injured. Couldn't run for 2 weeks and my diet just stalled. After my injury healed got right back up on that horse and started running again.

Wanting to lose more weight faster and build up my strength while also going for runs, thought I'd try Tapout XT. Did that for about a week straight and then stopped. Re-started the program again from Day 1 twice (after not doing it for a few weeks) and figured the program is not for me and started to look up other programs.

I found a program by Men's Fitness Magazine called The Ultimate Guide to Fat Loss, Build A Better Body in 6 Weeks. Got some good info from that and did the first week of training (upper, lower & total body). Thinking, i like this. Strength training... Doing some random research I came across Stronglifts 5x5 and found that I liked what it does more so than Men's Fitness and am now into my first week and really enjoy it. I've read that it'll be hard to run 4 times a week while doing Stronglifts. As there is really no full day rest between workouts as your squatting 3 times a week with weights. But I like going for runs so i decided id rather strength train 3 times a week (sun/tues/thurs) and do interval long runs on saturday mornings.

It's been a slow process learning from my mistakes and failures but I feel GREAT. It's not much but I'm down to 197 lbs, lost 3 inches off my waist, I feel stronger, more energetic and alive. I've been eating better, whole foods and such the past few weeks at a deficit. Down to smoking a pack every other week to 2 weeks since April and binge drinking once a month preferably in the middle of the month as I can fiend for a drink the first 2 weeks and be satisfied the following 2 weeks until the next month that is ;) Point being I'm the happiest I've ever been in the past couple of years and that's what 100 days has led to.

Philippe

Replies

• swisseler
    swisseler Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You sound so happy. AND dedicated! I love how when something wasn't working, you just tried something else. A great way to reach your goal, if gradually, because you're learning how to change your lifestyle. Very impressed.
  • Skyetropics
    Skyetropics Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Isnt it such a joy to realize what you can do with your mind, body and spirit over time!? You do sound happy and congrats on the results. Just imagine the story you will be writing in 365 days! Way to go. Your smoking is commendable for someone that smoked that long too. I have been smoke free all summer since I started MFP as well and it is a joy to be free. I love your gradual approach.
  • wordstill
    wordstill Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You sound so happy. AND dedicated! I love how when something wasn't working, you just tried something else. A great way to reach your goal, if gradually, because you're learning how to change your lifestyle. Very impressed.

Thanks. I figured I wanted to live as long as I possibly can. I'm 30 now and I'm tryin' to see at least past 100... I've always been the type to try almost everything at least once. I like what I like and what I like, I love. If I don't like, I move on. Cause wants the point if your not happy and don't enjoy it.
    Isnt it such a joy to realize what you can do with your mind, body and spirit over time!? You do sound happy and congrats on the results. Just imagine the story you will be writing in 365 days! Way to go. Your smoking is commendable for someone that smoked that long too. I have been smoke free all summer since I started MFP as well and it is a joy to be free. I love your gradual approach.

It is a joy, indeed. 365 days is to far ahead, to set goals for me personally. I like to set goals for short periods of time and one of my main goals right now is to follow through 12 weeks of Stronglifts 5x5, consecutively, correctly, and injury free each week.

Congrats for being smoke free. Did you quit cold turkey? I've tried that numerous times with my longest stretch being for 3 months. Quitting cold turkey gives me crazy withdrawals... So I figured this time I'll take a more gradual approach from smoking a pack or two every few days to only having 3-4 smokes one day, then 2 the next day, then 1 and so forth until I finish the pack. As I hated going through withdrawal... And through this course of action I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms but thats just me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!