skinny people not as hungry

Options
i watch skinny people at work and they eat so little. like cup of soup, or a serving of lasagna, or a piece of chicken, or small salad.
and then they are done. they are full. I am always hungry. a cup of soup just does not do it.
how come skinny people are not hungry all the time.
why do i have to spend so much time in hungry.
will i ever get to the point that i am not hungry?

Replies

• ambush63
    ambush63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I'm keeping my calories low but I still ant to eat more. I have to do a lot just to distract myself from tasting this and tasting that!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Some skinny people aren't active or muscular, so have quite low calorie needs.

Some skinny people are hungry all the time and eat much more than you.

Anyway, yes, you will eventually get to the point where you're eating at maintenance, if you stick with the plan. Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You don't see all their meals, either.

I can eat a small breakfast and a small lunch, but I have a huge dinner.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You don't see all their meals, either.

I can eat a small breakfast and a small lunch, but I have a huge dinner.

I am similar. I eat about 50% of my daily calories after 7:00 PM.
  • auralay_eakspay
    Options
    Something that helps me with food cravings, especially snacking, is I just ask myself "am I hungry enough to eat an apple?" If I am then I will eat one, or something equally healthy. After that I am usually no longer "hungry enough for an apple." I may not be full, but I'm not hungry. Small, frequent, healthy meals through out the day will keep you satiated. Personally I like to save calories for dinner, so I always have something to look forward to and I pick something really filling. Some days I simply can't, but this plan has really worked for me.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sometimes skinny people SAY they are not hungry, but really they just are working at staying skinny. Also I have known some skinny people, who rarely exercise, and yet when we go out they eat just as much or more than I do. It made me mad until I realized that they just don't do that every day or every meal like I used to. Eventually that's going to be me. I will pig out sometimes, but eat carefully most of the time, and I will maintain.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    cup of soup, or M&S salad usually is more than enough for me (Not skinny person!) and then some days things change and are completely different. Other days a small fruit bowl just does the trick for the day (really not good cos it means my net cals = nothing) just depends on how busy/bored/active I am !
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm fit and relatively lean...not body builder lean, but healthy lean...I eat like a fraggin' horse to maintain. No cup o' soup here for me...at least 2 cups with some more **** on the side here.

Also, if you saw my lunch you probably wouldn't believe the above statement...but dinners rock...they are the most important meal for me. I get at least 50% of my calories after I've left the office.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me with food cravings, especially snacking, is I just ask myself "am I hungry enough to eat an apple?" If I am then I will eat one, or something equally healthy. After that I am usually no longer "hungry enough for an apple." I may not be full, but I'm not hungry. Small, frequent, healthy meals through out the day will keep you satiated. Personally I like to save calories for dinner, so I always have something to look forward to and I pick something really filling. Some days I simply can't, but this plan has really worked for me.

But I love apples. I eat them every day. I am always hungry enough to eat an apple! :ohwell:
  • auralay_eakspay
    Options
    haha. Well not everything works for everyone I suppose :)
  • KisaraKaiba
    KisaraKaiba Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Everyone's metabolism is different. I have two extremely thin friends. One eats like a bird. The other one eats like... well, I don't want to sound derogatory, but she eats FAR MORE than you might guess just by looking at her. :)

It took me a long time to not feel starving all the time. Part of it was just that I loved eating. I also used to eat for entertainment purposes (out of boredom) and confused that with hunger. It just took time for me to adjust to my new way of eating. And by time, I mean a solid 4-6 months. It was like withdrawing from a drug.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    cup of soup, or M&S salad usually is more than enough for me (Not skinny person!) and then some days things change and are completely different. Other days a small fruit bowl just does the trick for the day (really not good cos it means my net cals = nothing) just depends on how busy/bored/active I am !

Totally read that as M&M salad...got me excited there for a moment.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It is very annoying but I don't know why they are like that. I don't think I need to eat that much food myself. I think one can survive without getting actual hunger if one spreads the food out throughout the day and avoids fats. Takes a lot of motivation though :(
  • Anonymous199616
    Options
    It's mental hunger, not real hunger. It'll go after a while.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    42.gif
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Part of it may be because your body is hungry to maintain itself and a igger person needs more cals to maintain current weight? Part of it may be that a person who has more appetite eats more gets bigger, less appetite eats less stays smaller.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this myself. I watch skinny people at social gatherings and really study what they eat. It's next to nothing. Well, next to nothing compared to what I would eat. I try to emulate that but sometimes it just doesn't work.

My daughter is super skinny and there are days she'll only eat one small meal and maybe a few small snacks throughout the day and even then she only eats because she knows she has to. We call that her bird mode because she eats like a bird. Then there are periods of time--sometimes weeks--where she'll eat like a horse.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's mental hunger, not real hunger. It'll go after a while.

QFT
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    It is probably a life long way of eating for them. In my family, we are all gluttons. When we would go to my grandma's house, the first thing she would ask is if you wanted something to eat. I have gotten my body used to eating large amounts, which is why I am overweight. One day at work, someone passed out those snack size candy bars. I ate mine in two bites. A co worker made hers last the whole day. Now, I have to retrain my body to eat reasonable portions instead of super sizing everything. For lunches at work, I have a salad, 1/4 cup of almonds or cashews, string cheese and some sort of fruit for dessert. It is a reasonably low cal. meal and it is filling. It also takes me a while to eat which also helps it feel more satisfying. I am like you. A cup of soup would never do, so I have to find ways to feel full without being my usual glutton self. I find cheese and peanut butter are good ways for me to feel full. There is a lady in my office that is the size of stick and she eats junk food all the time, but she has a much higher metabolism than I do. So don't compare yourself to others, you have to come up with an eating plan that works for you.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm not skinny, but I'm pretty lean. And I'm a total chow hound! I stay lean by eating foods that are nutrient-dense but not too calorie-dense, like veggies, fruit, chicken, turkey, etc. I eat a LOT, by volume, but it's relatively low calorie for the amount of nutrition it provides.