Running - legs tired and sore before I'm out of breath

Options
I'm relatively new to healthy eating and working out, as before this point in my life I've never had to put effort in to remain skinny. I recently started doing light running with my dog every day through our rural neighborhood, and have been wanting to really break a sweat. However, my ankles and calf muscles hurt really badly before the rest of my body is even the slightest bit tired. This is the same when I walk long distances or go for a hike. Legs are a little tired after the run, but the soreness doesn't really stick around.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Plingie
    Plingie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I recently started running (well slow jogging/walking LOL) and I was similar. My shins would hurt and my calves would cramp up etc - it's just you getting used to the new actions and your muscles getting stronger. You might want to make sure you have good shoes too :D
  • carriecaptured
    carriecaptured Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might have a vitamin deficiency, magnesium and B vitamins. Also make sure your are eating enough calories.
  • UhohDanny
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me. First it was my shins, then that stoped and it was my calves. With time they both went away.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You need to do strength training for your legs, like squats, lunges, deadlifts ... using a crosstrainer eliptical (these have a range of motion/stride similar to running) with the resitance turned up a few notches will help with endurance too ...
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh, and when first starting out (or getting back into) running ... DON'T DO IT EVERYDAY, lol! ... Give your muscles a chance to get used to/recover, since running is high impact ... crosstrain with an eliptical or stationary bike (do intervals kind of like spinning) and weight training ...
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Shocked nobody has said it...do you have proper running shoes? Find a running store get fitted and analyzed see if that helps
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Ahh i had that too for a while but it's gotten much better. I'll get it sometimes now but not as bad.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Shocked nobody has said it...do you have proper running shoes? Find a running store get fitted and analyzed see if that helps

^^^ this. EVERY time my shins start aching it's almost a guarantee I have too much wear on my shoes. Get good shoes and replace them regularly.

Strengthening the muscles is great. . .but you also MUST stretch your lower body and hips out well. If I skimp on stretching, boy do I feel it.

Also, manage your expectations. Running isn't easy. It will take time for both your breathing and your legs to "get with the program". Be determined. You can do this.
  • mikenelson20
    mikenelson20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are a must.

In my experience with running one of two things happen when I started, either their muscles get to sore before they are winded or they get winded before their are sore. But wait it gets better, jog/run enough that your muscles get stronger then you start to lose your breath and vice versa with the other. Then you get to the good part. Your body and lungs are stronger, then you will start to become a runner. Stick with it, rest when needed and you will work past it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This!!! Also, I have shin splints, so sometimes it helps me to take some ibuprofen about 30 minutes before I go. That was my doctor's advice.

Are you warming up before hand? Stretching? Sorry if you've already asked and answered that...

Also, are you just flat out running? Maybe you need to work up to it with like a Couch to 5k phone app or something? That's what I'm doing.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It's most likely your shoes and the fact that you just started.. How old are your shoes? Are they running shoes? Also take it easy at first then build up. You might want to follow a beginners running routine.
  • jesis138
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do have fairly new running shoes. I'll try stretching more and maybe switching to every other day for the time being until my body has a bit more stamina.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If your shoes are good and you are stretching, then just be patient. Keep running and your legs will get stronger and you will be able to run more and more. I started in June and I still sometimes get sore from a 3 mile run or a long hike.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do have fairly new running shoes. I'll try stretching more and maybe switching to every other day for the time being until my body has a bit more stamina.

Did you just buy running shoes off the rack or did you go get fitted specifically for them? This made ALL the difference for me since I have issues with ankle stability since mine go in. If you don't know how you run, or how your foot strikes, I would highly recommend finding a running shoe store and seeking their advice.

Also, maybe try building up to it, with a couch to 5k...That might also help. Since it switches it up 5 minute warm up, jog or run 60 secs, walk 90 secs, repeat jog/walk for 20 mins, 5 minute cool down...It might help. Good luck!
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My running shoes I got fitted for are like magic. Honestly, like everyone else said, look into it. You'll be glad you did.
    I get no more shin pain and the only calf pain I have is adjusting to running and I'm probably not stretching properly haha.