Bread

Options
Can anyone recommend bread that is good for fiber and taste and not too many calories & doesn't break the bank?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Arnold's whole wheat double fiber. It's 100 calories a slice with 6 grams of fiber and I think 4 grams of protein. And one slice is quite large, so you can get away easily with a half sandwich that's quite filling.

And it's tasty and even soft.
  • hopewms
    Options
    I really like the Nature's Own 35 Calorie breads. They have about 8g Fiber in 3 slices.
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Here's one that you have to make, but it's so easy. This has become our primary bread -- because we have to be gluten-free, but it's also good for diabetics and just being healthy. We've also started baking it in a loaf pan. It doesn't rise so the loaf only gets to a few inches tall -- it's perfect for my kids lunches. Making it in the focaccia style allows you to cut any size you want for sandwiches.

Flax Meal Focaccia Bread

Ingredients
    2 cups flax seed meal (see notes for other flour options)
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon agave nectar
    5 beaten eggs
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup olive oil

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
    2. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicon mat.
    3. Mix dry ingredients well - a whisk works well.
    4. Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.
    5. Let batter set for 2-3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.).
    6. Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).
    7. Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.
    8. Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife - I usually just cut it with a spatula.
    9. With all Flax Flour at 12 servings, each piece of bread has less than one gram of carbohydrate - .8 to be exact - plus 5 grams of fiber.

Flour Options
    1 cup Flax, 1 cup chix pea - Good for meat sandwiches, a bit heavy in taste
    1 cup Flax, 1 cup all purpose GF flour mix – lighter in color and texture, a little crumbly
    1 cup Flax, ½ cup Teff, ½ cup Tapioca Starch – great for peanut butter & jelly, not crumbly
    Notes: makes a moist, spongy bread that holds up pretty well
  • RB12000
    Options
    I love the Arnold's sandwich thins! A whole roll is 100 cals (top and bottom!). I buy the whole wheat. A pack of 8 is usually around $2!!! Go great with anything!
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    I buy Sara Lee's whole wheat 45 slice bread. Sometimes I will buy a store brand Italian bread that has the same calories. I just like the wheat better but the store brand is cheaper.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I second rml_16 recommendation. Arnold Double Fiber. Many of the higher fiber breads are more like 120 or 130 per slice. So the 100 cals for the amount of fiber is pretty good.
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oroweat Honey Wheat Berry - 80 calories and just 1gr fat/ slice. Walmart has it for $2.50/loaf. I also found a Kettle cooked turkey breast that's only 50 calories/ 2 oz serving. The 2 together make a great sandwich for lunch. Currently trying the Sara Lee 45 calorie wheat bread. It's not quite as hearty as the wheat berry but still good and almost 1/2 the calories.