How many calories is it okay to be under for the day?

Options
I'm done eating for the day and I'm not hungry. According to MFP, I am 500 calories under my goal for the day (I only ate ~900). I'm only 5'2". Is it possible that I'm not hungry enough to eat that much because I'm that short?

The absolute last thing I want is for my body to be in starvation mode and for my body to hold onto fat! Am I messing with my weight loss goals by not eating enough?

Replies

• LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    my non professional opinion is that if you did that every day it wouldn't be good. if its a day here and there and you really dont feel like eating, big deal. its one day.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That makes very good sense to me! I have a tendency to eat only about 1000 calories on average, so I worry that this is not enough; it's not just every once in a while that I under-eat.
  • RichardFL
    Options
    If you are frequently eating only 900 calories a day, yes you are messing with your long-term goals. You can't get the nutrients you need long-term out of 900 calories a day.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You should be within +/- 100 imo.
    One day here and there where you're off the charts is ok.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    That makes very good sense to me! I have a tendency to eat only about 1000 calories on average, so I worry that this is not enough; it's not just every once in a while that I under-eat.

Once every week or two is okay. Every day is not enough.
    Go to http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and see what your BMR is. DO NOT eat under that. I really wouldn't recommend going under 1200 any day.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It's not a good idea to eat so few calories on a regular basis. If you're having trouble reaching your calorie goals every day, you may want to consider eating more low volume, high calorie foods. Cook with olive oil, add some avocado to your meal, eat nuts/seeds/nut butters, cheese, and regular versions of foods instead of low fat/no fat versions. There are lots of women out there who are your height and eat much more than you do while still achieving their fitness goals.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the one day of lower calories won't effect your metabolism in a negative way. Just don't make it a weekly habit.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input, everyone! I'm sure I can easily sneak 300 cals back in by sometimes having cheese, avocado, cooking with oil, eating foods that are not all low or nonfat. It's good to know that others at my height have still lost while eating more. The weight I've lost so far (over the past several years) has been as a result of the 1000-1200-calorie intake. I really hope I haven't messed with my metabolism for good!