How do you push yourself through a workout?

Options
What do you do to give yourself that extra motivation to push through a workout? I am physically capable of doing an intense workout but it seems like I will just get plain bored and not wanna do anything more. Or I start thinking about how my feet hurt while running, or how my thighs are burning on the elliptical and I just wanna get off. I usually just push through but lately I have been feeling less than motivated to do so.

Even with weight lifting and body weight exercises I just hate the pain and it makes me want to quit.

I know I sound like a little baby! But I usually do push through the pain during a workout but I am just wondering on how you guys motivate yourself to get to that next level!

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: think long and hard about what you realy enjoy doing instead of what most people seem to say works best - and do that.

edit: an afterthought. Sure - weightlifting is the quickest and arguably most efficient path to maintaining muscle, but not if the weights sit in the garage unused. Yoga on the other hand I will do every day. So = do what you love.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Some things that help me with the inner struggle to quit:

- when doing cardio or running I imagine myself in a race, like a spartan race (which I am doing in a month) and imagine that cameras are on me, and how awesome i want to look when those photos are snapped, no one wants a photo taken of them giving up!
    - if something feels that intense I tell myself "in twenty minutes you are going to wish you didnt quit" so then i push through
    - if i have 15 more minutes of cardio i remind myself that in 50 years i am going to wish i had the health to do that 15 minutes of cardio when i did.
    - when lifting i just dig deep and never quit, hitting that last rep means it was all worth it
    - i constantly tell myself "it's not going to kill you, suck it up" because it isn't. in a few minutes i will be done and i wont have died from it.
    - uplifting and empowering music keeps me going
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    you will never regret pushing through but you will regret giving up. just remind yourself of that. if that doesn't work for me, angry music helps. or reminding myself how a certain someone called me fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't "workout"...I "train"...I have events circled on a calendar that I'm going to participate in...if I don't push through my workouts I'm going to suck *kitten* during my actual event..and there's nothing worse than sucking *kitten* in front of a whole bunch of other fit *kitten* mofos...plus, I'm just a little competitive.

When I was just trying to "workout" I always found something better to do...other than lifting weights...never had a problem with that...but actually getting in some good cardio fitness was always an issue for me until I started actually training for events.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I set small goals for myself. Like my current goal "deadline" is Sept 14th. When I want to quit I think to myself "If you quit now, how are you gonna feel when you don't hit your goal by the deadline?" That always pushes me over the edge. I hate disappointment. There is nothing worse than disappointment in myself and I refuse to face that by my own choosing. So I carry on. Now if I don't hit my goal by Sept 14, then I can honestly look back and say that I did everything I could have. I pushed 110% and carried on even when I wanted to quit. Maybe that goal was too lofty. Does it upset me. Sure, but not nearly as bad as it does when I don't hit goal and I know it's my fault because I was slacking on my workouts or having too much allowance with my food. Push yourself, carry on, the pride in a job well done is well worth the extra effort.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your workout. When I was doing 2-3 hr. low intensity workouts(walking, eliptical, etc.) I would listen to audiobooks and let my mind wander and not focus on the workout. Recently when I switched to shorter(30-60 min) high intensity interval training or circuit training generally the workout is so difficult that I can't even listen to music and just focus on how my body feels. The first 10-15 minutes goes by easily. Then in the middle when it starts to get hard I think about my goal, what I want to look like, how I want to feel. In the final 10-15 min stretch when I am dying and feel like throwing up I just focus on the time. I know it is going to end in 10 min and just need to hold in there. I tell myself that I can stand 10 minutes of pain for a lifetime of health and happiness. Every minute that goes by is a minute less that I have to do.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I work out with my wife who will show me up if I stop... great motivation for me.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My workouts are intense and long and I usually enjoy challenging my body. But some days my feet feel like concrete. Those are the days I mentally say, "Suck it up, buttercup!" and remind myself that the body I want doesn't come easy. Other than that, I got nothing.
  • PlayboyMickey81
    Options
    Well different things can motivate different people. For me though, I would have an old picture of myself that I love looking at and have it next to me while I exercise so that way...... when I get tired or lazy, I would just keep on pushing because I want to be able to look like that again. Or you can also have a celebrity picture that you like/admire lol that's just me though. And another motivation haha is to think to yourself that once you have the new transformation, you would show it off to family and friends and have them say "WOW is this the same person" :)
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Self talk! When I want to quit I ask myself "MaryFran, are you dying?" And when I realize that I'm just a bit sore or a bit lazy or a bit whatever, I tell myself "Well buck up, because if you DON"T continue you WILL die....obesity kills!"

I remind myself continually about my dreams and my goals to be fit, svelte and a gorgeous thin girl! That helps me push through the pain and the lack of motivation.

Find something you enjoy!

I found with running..that scheduling a race...registering and everything keeps me on track because I've got "the race' coming up!
  • wordstill
    wordstill Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I usually say this to myself on the last push is if I don't get this bar up/down off of me safely, I'M F***ED!!!

Rest, rinse and repeat...
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I know that every time I step foot in the gym/go for a run, I'm taking one step closer to my goal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.){ find something you enjoy

2.) enjoy the fact that today you will do what others won't- so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

3.) the burning makes you better- I know this is going to sound silly- but when I'm doing something extra hard- and it's causing a burn- I think about breathing into the pain- letting it wash over me- embracing it... and just doing more. I do more because YOU DONT. I do more because YOU CAN"T. I do more because I'm better than you.

4.) set the work out- know that that's the task you must accomplish and push through it with no regard to anything else. I love working out- it's never a chore- I never have to motivate myself to do it. So I have a hard time with this one- I love that feeling of knowing I'm better than YOU because you quit- and I don't.

Take that- and use it as fuel- be the one who refuses to quit.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    mind over matter
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    What do you do to give yourself that extra motivation to push through a workout? I am physically capable of doing an intense workout but it seems like I will just get plain bored and not wanna do anything more. Or I start thinking about how my feet hurt while running, or how my thighs are burning on the elliptical and I just wanna get off. I usually just push through but lately I have been feeling less than motivated to do so.

Even with weight lifting and body weight exercises I just hate the pain and it makes me want to quit.

I know I sound like a little baby! But I usually do push through the pain during a workout but I am just wondering on how you guys motivate yourself to get to that next level!

Music. With the music on, I can tune out the world including my workout partner :laugh:
    At which point, we communicate through facial expressions and gestures. This is when weight training.

As far as the treadmill or elliptical goes, I need music to get me going and I don't talk to myself. What you describe is you talking yourself out of your workout. Crank the music and tune it all out till it's done.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Wait for the pain to come, and when it comes hold it. Hold it like a friend you haven't seen in years. Because that pain is going to get in you, and be with you. Don't fight it, embrace it, find out who you are, and find out what you can do today.

That's how I get through a brick. That's how I get through hill intervals. I wait for the pain, I let it wash over me, and kill me, then I rebuild myself through it.

Damn, **** just got all philosophical. I need to knock off the beer during the week.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Wait for the pain to come, and when it comes hold it. Hold it like a friend you haven't seen in years. Because that pain is going to get in you, and be with you. Don't fight it, embrace it, find out who you are, and find out what you can do today.

That's how I get through a brick. That's how I get through hill intervals. I wait for the pain, I let it wash over me, and kill me, then I rebuild myself through it.

Damn, **** just got all philosophical. I need to knock off the beer during the week.

damn dude, that was good!
  • dbmata
    Options
    1.){ find something you enjoy

2.) enjoy the fact that today you will do what others won't- so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

3.) the burning makes you better- I know this is going to sound silly- but when I'm doing something extra hard- and it's causing a burn- I think about breathing into the pain- letting it wash over me- embracing it... and just doing more. I do more because YOU DONT. I do more because YOU CAN"T. I do more because I'm better than you.

4.) set the work out- know that that's the task you must accomplish and push through it with no regard to anything else. I love working out- it's never a chore- I never have to motivate myself to do it. So I have a hard time with this one- I love that feeling of knowing I'm better than YOU because you quit- and I don't.

Take that- and use it as fuel- be the one who refuses to quit.

Hm, I think you're good people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

You just answered your question. A motivated person doesn't let anything stop them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dbmata
    Options

damn dude, that was good!

Thanks! Training for my tri afforded me many opportunities to think deeply on the nature of pain. It's that one friend who will never leave us. ;)