I want to be an Air Force JAG, but I'm too fat...

Options
Hi All -

I cannot believe that my professional career has come to a halt due to my weight. I must make a change, and this seems like a good place to start...

My name is Monique, and I'm currently 220 lbs. I really don't know exactly how I allowed myself to get this big, but it's happened over the past 10 years or so, and I'm not happy. Every summer, I start a diet/workout routine, and lose about 20-30 lbs, but somehow every autumn (when the stressful semesters begin), I manage to put it back on plus some...

I work full-time as a paralegal by day, and will soon graduate from the evening division of a local law school. I decided that I'd like to join the Air Force as an attorney, only to find out that I'm 70 lbs over the standard.

I've got 7 months to drop the weight, and condition myself to pass the physical fitness test. I’ve hired a personal trainer, and he suggested MFP…

I've noticed that I am competitive with everything but my weight. I feel like I've failed so many times in the past (I’ve tried pretty much every diet out there!), and when I think about attempting this seemingly-impossible venture, I psych myself out of it.

The truth is – I could apply (and hopefully) attain a normal, civilian attorney job at a law firm. But I’d like to think of this feat as an opportunity to abandon my bad habits, and develop some new ones – I don’t want to miss out on a prospective job (and lifestyle) for something that is completely in my control. I can’t. I won’t.

Still – I’m scared. I really don’t want to fail. I want this. And I know I need help…

Replies

• TammyBee
    Options
    You can do it! This website is great! I have never been able to lose until i got on mfp.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You are going to do awesome! It's not as hard as it sounds, trust me. And, you've got half of the battle won just by beginning. You have determination, a goal, a plan & all that equals success! Now, you just have to believe in yourself & the pounds will start to fall off! Besides you've just come to the most inspiring place with the best people in the world...you're gonna be just fine. :-)
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    This is a great site. You can Lose the weight!!
    What a perfect way to start. Here you can keep track of exercise, and calories.
    Plus get great support from people all over the world.
    Best of Luck on your goals!! :flowerforyou:
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, and befriending me... :-)

I had my first workout this morning, and I'm feeling good...
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Just keep posting your food and exercise and get a group of friends. You can do it!
  • FitnFab17
    Options
    What an amazing goal to obtain! You can definitely do this! The members here are so great and supportive, you will never run out of cheerleaders! You've got this girl!!!!!!
  • caminogirl
    caminogirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I was a recruiter for the Canadian Forces I had an applicant who failed his fitness test the first time round but he was so determined to join that he started walking to get his weight off -- and I do mean walking! That guy walked everywhere - in all types of weather - and for about a year I'd see him walking around town. He came back and passed with flying colors. We were all really impressed - what great fortitude and determination he showed. You sound like you're determined too and definitely on the right track, I'm sure you'll get there too!! Working with the JAG would be a very interesting and fulfilling career.
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    First, gratz on finishing up law school! A lot of the firends I had when I was in the AF were JAGs. Keep the goal in site. DOn't focus on the 70, instead break it up and focus on the smaller goals, and soon you'll see that you'll get there in less time than you thought it would take! Keep us posted and if you get the invite to go train in Alabama at the JAG school. Good luck!