Food ideas for travel without refrigeration

Options
jett254
jett254 Posts: 64 Member
Traveling from the East coast to the West coast next week with a connection and am looking for some ideas on things to bring for lunch that don't require refrigeration plus some back-up food to have during my trip in case there are not healthy options (it is a business trip and some of the meals may not have good food options for me).

So far, my list includes:
- Quest bars for breakfast
- 100 calorie packs of almonds
- Fiber One brownies
- Laughing cow cheese
- Joseph's pita breads (60 calories each, my favorite)
- Packets of almond butter
- 70 calorie tuna pouches (I need to figure out where to get packets of light mayo)
- Packets of light salad dressing (I need to figure out where to get these too)

I'm going to miss my steel cut oatmeal, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, baby carrots, Vitatops, veggie burgers and hummus since I'm gone for a week - I eat those pretty much daily. We won't have a car so no way to make a grocery store stop to stock the hotel mini fridge - bummer.

Any other ideas or suggestions of low calorie (and filling) options?

Replies

• kgoodman0108
    Options
    I know some grocery store deli's and Subways have light mayo packets, but I have never seen them sold in stores.

You've got a pretty awesome list! Maybe some crystal light drink mixes or Mio?
  • jett254
    jett254 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I travel a bit for work.. peanut butter and whole apples (pack a knife in your suitcase to get through security)

nuts are good too, a whole avocado doesn't need refrigeration (just pack it well so it doesn't get smushed?) ...and not with your laptop either...:noway: tinned tuna, salmon, the like...

I get pre-packaed mayo/mustard and salad dressing and such from the grocery local deli on the counter by the lunch meals, they don't sell them, but if you are a regular they normally let you take a couple of extra? And if not, just grab a small mayo bottle and stick it in the fridge when you get there, a waste I know to toss, but for the $3 it can't be beat? (and if no fridge in the hotel room, it will keep on ice in a lunch bag, just make sure you fill the ice 2 times a day) and toss it when you leave.

and as for eating out, live a little? get the salad, plain and not dressed, roasted chicken is always good, and the little steaks are awesome and not normally slathered in butter and such. get the side salad instead of the fries?

Not sure where you are going, but lately when I have been traveling to the oil fields, they have no fish that is not deep fried, nor chicken that isn't smothered in something...so I normally go with a burger or plain steak with a salad and 2 sides of whatever they pass off as veggies? All washed down with a bit of wine of course :smokin:

And normally when I am on a trip, I tend to not eat as much as I am when at home, late hours, finalizing the darn presentation at all hours of the night, up early, to bed late...it evens out trust me...and running through the airport in a suit and heels does count as exercise in my book some days!