Is this cheating?

Options
My fitbit told me that I was way under my step limit so to make up for it I thought about jogging/walking in place to make up for the steps, will it still be like jogging/walking the steps or would there be less benefits?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're still moving so not cheating, although I've tried this and my fitbit just ignores the steps. I have to be seriously walking for my FitBit to count it.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Cheater cheater pumpkin eater! Just kidding. Personally, I don't think so. You're still moving your body. I think that it totally still counts. I would think that cheating would be putting it on your dog and playing fetch with him or something like that. I think that jogging in place is fine.
  • Rouchiha
    Rouchiha Posts: 19
    Options
    Cool, Thanks everyone
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    seems like cheating to me. it takes more energy to walk than just walking in place.
  • Ryan__V
    Ryan__V Posts: 36
    Options
    Is it cheating? Maybe yes, maybe no...
    Is it better than sitting down and giving up? YES!!!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Walking in place isn't a replacement for walking from place to place, because you aren't using energy/effort to actually propel your body.
  • cpeacy
    cpeacy Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't think it is cheating. I have done it myself. And I have walked circles around my house some days to meet my goal. I equate it to a elliptical machine or treadmill. Same movement and you are not going anywhere on them either.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Just don't put it on your forearm and...well you know.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's cheating (who would you be cheating...yourself) but I'm fairly certain it won't work.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Jogging in place is fine!

Actually I think if you are physically fit you may want to try something more challenging. I don't know much about fitbit but in my opinion the goal should not be to do a certain number of steps per day but to challenge your cardiovascular system (however much or little time that takes) so that it adapts and gets better the next workout. If you're fit and young then running in place, jumping jacks or jumping rope is very good. If if you are the above with good joints, try some burpees, plyometric squats and plyometric lunges (in small quality of course!). Any activity that elevates your heart rate should have as much of a positive impact as walking a few steps per day.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Not cheating at all!

Fitbit is there primarily to motivate you to move. As long as you do, you are burning energy so walking on the spot is valid exercise. I did it all though winter. Another way to do it is to dance. I danced around my iounge room in winter as well. I walked on the spot when I was doing the washing up or pretty much any activity at home. It worked for me. I'm healthier than ever now.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It does work and its not cheating! I've done Leslie Sansone's walking at home DVDs whilst wearing my FitBit and it counts not only the steps but also the distance, even though you are mainly walking/jogging on the spot.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Tying it to a dog and throwing a ball.....

THATS Cheating

:laugh:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Did you get your heart rate up over base? If so, then yes.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I frequently jog in place in front of the TV to get my step count up, and I can assure you that it is NOT cheating. I'm not sure about *walking* in place, but jogging or running in place takes plenty of energy and is not cheating.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've lost close to 80 lbs primarily by walking/jogging in place as my exercise by doing Leslie Sansone videos. My heartrate gets up, I sweat and I feel awesome afterwards. It is not cheating.
  • willgetty
    willgetty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I realise this is an old thread but I searched for it because I'm in a similar boat, but I thought I'd offer my two pennies' worth. I think it's not cheating so long as you do actual steps not like little skipping steps... But I like to make sure because I do pay attention to the calories that I burn according to fitbit so I like to make damn sure those calories are legit. That being said, sometimes you're at work and have a spare ten minutes or what have you and jogging on the spot is an awesome way to get your steps up so long as you do it properly!