Morning motivation

Options
I hate getting up in the morning and working out. I am never motivated to do it… I exercise best in the afternoon. But starting next week I'm not going to have a choice, I'm going to have to get up at about 530 and exercise if I want to cram it in my day. How do you guys get motivated to do it?

Replies

• mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I made friends at the gym that help keep me motivated to get up early. I also bring my Kindle so I can read a good book while doing the elliptical. Eventually your body adjusts to it.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Its like all habit forming. At first you force yourself to do it then after a few weeks it becomes second nature...

also going to bed as early as is reasonably possible really helps
  • Qnher718
    Options
    My schedule affords the opportunity to wk out in the morning but I to have to motivate myself to do it. But after a couple of weeks it gets easier. It also helps to find a exercise routine you enjoy I love Leslie sansone walk away the pounds dVD.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I put all of my gear out the night before so that I don't have to scramble around for them--everything down to my ponytail holder and head band. When the alarm goes off, I give myself a "everyone else sucks, you rock" pep talk.

I also look for something that is fun for me, because it helps to take away the "dread"--and try and start the workout/warmup without giving myself the chance to waver.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, set an inspirational ringtone. Nothing gets my *kitten* out of bed at 4am faster than Eye of the Tiger.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ the setting your stuff up.

I have even slept in work out gear that way when I wake up, it's ponytail, shoes and get the hell to the gym! :)

I like how cold it is outside after running on the treadmill so I prefer late night or early morning..
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Do it till it becomes habit. Yes, the first week or so will be a pain, but when it's your routine, you'll miss it if you don't do it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I too have never been a morning person. But there was a time when early morning before work was the only time I had to workout. For about 1.5 years I did it without missing more than a few sessions. I hated it every single time. It never got easier, but without it I got saggy and gained weight. So, I just did it.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear more tips on how to feel motivated.
  • Rachel0619
    Rachel0619 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My motivation to work out early in the am is so that I don't have to worry about it after work. That and I am not missing time with my family. It is also really nice to start the day with extra calories :smile:
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    sometimes i even sleep in what i am going to wear...one less thing to bug with in the am ....
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    My initial motivation was to get the workouts out of the way. Getting up between 3:30 a.m and 4:00 a.m. to workout has become a habit after a couple of years...I'm still not a morning person but I do feel much more energized after the early a.m. workout.

8488541.png
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You don't. You just decide to get up when your alarm goes off, and then you do it.

If I just wake up and stare at the clock from my nice bed waiting for some feeling to make me want to get up and get moving, that's not going to happen. Who WANTS to get out of bed early?
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Funny, I am about to have the exact opposite problem. Once school starts I will have to run in the afternoons, b/c it is too dark in the mornings when I would have to get up before everyone to run. Ah, well, we are going to just have to suck it up and get it done! Sooner or later it will be routine and we will get used to it.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of setting an inspirational ringtone! Great Idea!

I only have time in the mornings. 2x a week I have a 5 am training session - the other times it is a force to be reckoned with to get me up. . . you just have to lay there for a moment, take a deep breath, dig deep within yourself and haul *kitten* ouf of bed!

It's totally worth it when you do!!

Totally.Worth.It
  • bluesmoosh
    Options
    Tons of great ideas guys, thanks! I've managed to get up early the last couple days. It sucks but I feel awesome once the workout is done. Getting my stuff ready the night before really helps! I love the idea of blasting EYE OF THE TIGER but I'm pretty sure my man would kill me lol.
  • michelledeas
    Options
    A lot of great tips.
  • shamitz
    shamitz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I learnt very quickly the guilty feeling that sticks with me all day if I don't go isn't worth it. I love the feeling once I have finished my workout and can go home and feel proud, knowing I made a difference to my body today!