5:2 - quick question?

Options
Hi I have a few questions on 5:2...

On fast days, can I eat sweet things? I've read things about insulin spikes... I had syrup porridge on my first fast day and it kept me full but as it was syrup flavour, I didn't know if this is allowed??

Can I drink diet fizzy drinks eg pepsi max or diet coke? Sometimes I find a can helps ride me over?
Obviously sparking water I'm assuming is ok but it's the sweetness I'm
Diet soda I'm
Not sure about...
I've searched the message boards but struggling to find answers.

Thank you.

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My guess is no on the soda. Besides, diet soda slows your metabolism and will make it harder to lose weight. If it is a sweet bubbly beverage you crave, try some Kombucha instead. It is hella expensive, so you won't go overboard on it. Oh, and it is good for you; it has probiotics like yogurt.

The cereal is probably fine if you are using a natural sweetener like maple syrup or honey. Even better would be sweetening it with berries or a banana, as you get more nutrition bang for your buck that way.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    diet soda slows your metabolism and will make it harder to lose weight.

not heard that before.

while i know its not the best thing you can drink, diet coke has never affected my weight loss?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want but if you go down the sugar/carb route you won't get much food volume for your calorie allowance.

How about trying berries? You can have a load of strawberries or blueberries to get the sweet taste for not many calories.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    You should be fine filling your 500 calories however you want.

Although, you'll probably get pretty hungry if you choose 2 candy bars for breakfast instead of more sensible options.

The insulin bit isn't complete nonsense - but IMO - it's not that significant of an effect - especially when you are in a calorie deficit.

Diet soda is fine. http://acsh.org/2013/08/aspartame-the-myths-remain-despite-the-facts/
  • phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that you should treat your calories like money on fast days - you want the most substance out of as little calories as possible. As vegetables tend to have fewer calories per gram than fruit, try eating sweeter veg such as carrots, red peppers, etc. also try swapping the diet soda for herbal teas ( particularly fruit flavoured green tea) green tea actually helps boost your metabolism and lose extra weight and will encourage you to drink more water to help you feel fuller.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    How about trying berries? You can have a load of strawberries or blueberries to get the sweet taste for not many calories.

Definitely.

Strawberries are awesome and you get an amazing amount of them for almost no calories. (500 grams = 160 calories).
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It's more a question about insulin resistance I was wondering about...

I've read that with 5:2 it's about keeping insulin down to aid fasting time?? So if I have the two things below am I not following the fast day correctly??

Porridge is syrup flavour sachet not added natural sugar....

Diet coke - would aspartame raise insulin and break low insulin fast?? Do carbs do same thing?
  • phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks are notoriously bad for weight loss as the artificial sweeteners trick your body into thinking you have just consumed sugar, it then releases the enzymes, etc. in order to break down the sugar (which is not there) then these simply float around your body without being used and in fact causes your body to crave MORE sugar in order for the body to break it down. Fast day or not - keep away from artificial sweeteners! You're better off having full fat sodas on a rare occasion and drink water everyday instead.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's a calorie controlled diet. It's fine to include sugar as part of this, on 500 cal fast days you will need a bit of energy.

However also be mindful of making sure you get some protein in on fast days. It will keep you more full for longer and your body will need those amino acids, especially if you are working out.

And to the person that posted this:
    diet soda slows your metabolism and will make it harder to lose weight.

Please post your sources.

Diet soda is fine and wont harm your success.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Diet coke - would aspartame raise insulin and break low insulin fast?? Do carbs do same thing?

Artificial sweeteners so not spike insulin.

All food will cause some raise in insulin, it's a natural response to eating. The amount of food you get when only eating 500 cals in one day is not going to cause a dramatic "insulin spike" that is going to cause you any problems.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's a calorie controlled diet. It's fine to include sugar as part of this, on 500 cal fast days you will need a bit of energy.

However also be mindful of making sure you get some protein in on fast days. It will keep you more full for longer and your body will need those amino acids, especially if you are working out.

This.

You can either fill your 500 calories with a lot of healthy food or with very limited amount of calories dense food...

You can include protein in the form of egg whites and lean meats. I usually eat a salad for lunch (not protein) with a coffee, some nuts before gym and then end the day with a HUGE mix of egg whites, one red pepper, beans + corn + coriander salad, salsa and feta cheese... My diary is open so you can see it... The amount of food that I get for dinner... sometimes it's even hard for me to finish it!!

Good luck and you'll not only lose weight but you'll learn to make more good food choices, so at the end you won't even miss it!

(Ps... the first week, I needed the diet coke... but as the weeks passed, my need for diet coke dissapear so I only drink tea, coffee and water - with iced tea powder on my fast days...)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Wait what? I did a 10km run 2 fasts ago without having a thing to eat all day only water.... plain water. Part of this fast means you dont HAVE to eat anything if you dont want to do so.

Part of the reason for fasting is also to teach everyone what hunger (real hunger) feels like.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - you are really over-thinking this!! Let the stress go!! :smile:

There are no hard and fast rules about meal timing, number of meals. size of meals, foods, sweeteners.
    Do what suits you best to keep within your calorie allowance, experiment to find what works for you.

You will "probably" find fasting easier if you concentrate on lean protein, veggies, berries, salads, soups and low GI carbs (in small quantities) and keep your hydration levels up to compensate for not getting so much hydration from your normal food intake.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Wait what? I did a 10km run 2 fasts ago without having a thing to eat all day only water.... plain water. Part of this fast means you dont HAVE to eat anything if you dont want to do so.

Part of the reason for fasting is also to teach everyone what hunger (real hunger) feels like.

You're really a champ! But if she is only starting, she might want to do it easily.

I remember my first week in 5:2 I ate more than 550... With the time I've been able to control that and I need less food to feel satisfied.

Hopefully one day I will be able to see that I don't need food on my fast days, but for now, I think baby steps is ok. Even more for her.

:)
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Great thoughts Andie. I'm 24 weeks in and it does take a while to find your own path. How about sparkling mineral water or soda water for a special drink on fast days. I have one in the evening but drink lots of peppermint tea, hot and cold and water.
    I'm happy with losing 24 lbs in 24 weeks at 60. We have scrambled egg and mushroom for breakfast, a vege fast soup(I make 3 kinds, if anyone wants a simple recipe, pumpkin with garlic 56 cals, carrot and ginger 54 cals and 6 veges 28cals a serve)for lunch and fish and baked carrot and pumpkin for tea.
    I think the value of 5:2 is within the 500 calories we all find our own path within these calories. Michael has 2 meals, Mimi a few snacks in the Fast Diet book. So if they find their own path we should too.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be as tolerated. I tend to shy away from sweets during fasting days, because I've been diagnosed as borderline hypoglycemic and it can cause a drop in blood sugar for me.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be as tolerated. I tend to shy away from sweets during fasting days, because I've been diagnosed as borderline hypoglycemic and it can cause a drop in blood sugar for me.

I tend to shy away from sweets as I need to get as much volume as possible out of my 500 calories.

I use the occasional drink of diet Coke as a sweet tasting treat on fast days. Gives me the flavour I like with next to no calories.

You can use your 500 calories however you like. As someone above said, it's like stretching a limited cash budget - you soon find out how best to spend what you've got. Experiment a bit - and if you're a tad over, it's not a big deal.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    With only 500 calories to spend I usually miss breakfast and concentrate on lunch and dinner. I find it best to have a small amount of good quality protein at each meal with a lot of vegetables, salads and some fruit- that way I don't get hungry. As for drinks I have coffee or tea with skimmed milk, water and occasionally diet soda or low cal cordial. The important bit is calorie control, you need to find what you are comfortable with eating within the 500. Good luck, the results I get are amazing. x
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    With only 500 calories to spend I usually miss breakfast and concentrate on lunch and dinner. I find it best to have a small amount of good quality protein at each meal with a lot of vegetables, salads and some fruit- that way I don't get hungry. As for drinks I have coffee or tea with skimmed milk, water and occasionally diet soda or low cal cordial. The important bit is calorie control, you need to find what you are comfortable with eating within the 500. Good luck, the results I get are amazing. x

This is what I usually do too. Well put! :smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

You're really a champ! But if she is only starting, she might want to do it easily.

I remember my first week in 5:2 I ate more than 550... With the time I've been able to control that and I need less food to feel satisfied.

Hopefully one day I will be able to see that I don't need food on my fast days, but for now, I think baby steps is ok. Even more for her.

:)

I only started about 3 weeks or so ago. I do 4:3 rather than 5:2...have done from the very start. You don't NEED anything apart from water, just makes it a little easier to eat a small amount. But you will sure as hell have the energy regardless of sugar, protein or whatever not being there.

OP just eat whatever you want up to 500 cals. Simple. Oh and DO NOT eat back exercise cals.