How to conceal terrible stretch marks?! NEED HELP!

Options
Hey guys, so this past year and a half I was sick of being fat for my whole life so I decided to make a change. Well I ended up losing 60 pounds and I can proudly say now that I feel great and that I look great in clothes!

But in a bikini, not so much. Luckily since I am 20 and I've been lifting heavy 4x a week for a year and a half I don't have loose skin, just a bit of fat still left. But I have a ton of stretch marks. I know I look like I don't have any stretch marks in my profile picture, but I do, you just can't see them there. I have terrible bright pink, red, and purple angry stretch marks all over my breasts, hips, and stomach and a few on my inner thighs. I am frustrated because I am really proud of my weight loss but I have my stretch marks! Ugh!

Anyways, I am going to the beach with a few friends in 2 weeks. My close friends think I should wear a bikini to show off my new slim body and I decided I might as well. But I am embarrassed about my stretch marks and don't want the whole beach to see them. So hopefully you all can give me some tips on how to cover my stretch marks? Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Well first off, nobody cares about them as much as you do. Most people won't notice, and those who do probably won't think about it for more than three seconds. People just don't pay that much attention to folks they don't know. I know that's little comfort, but it's true. Your friends will be excited for your success and not care either. Between puberty, weight changes and pregnancy very few women make it through life without getting some stretch marks. Your friends will have them too, but you've probably never noticed.

I know the worst part is feeling self concious about yourself though. Truth be told, I don't think there is a way of covering stretch marks. You can get special make up for scarring but I doubt it would hold up to water and sand (and would probably draw more attention to your stretch marks as it started to come off). Just try on lots of bikinis and find the one that makes you feel the best, and stick a small vest or something in your bag so if you do get self-concious, you can slip it on and not spoil the trip.

And WELL DONE on reaching your goal.
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    First off, yes, congratulations on your weight loss! You look fantastic and I'm sure you feel even better.

To answer your question, there's nothing you can really do about the stretch marks. (Trust me, I know from experience.) The good news is they WILL fade. I promise. In a few months or a year, they'll be the same color as your skin. You'll still know they're there, because they're thinner than your skin, but they won't be as noticeable.

In the meantime, one thing that helps pre- and post-fading is self-tanner, which can help even-out the color differential between your skin and your stretch marks. Go easy though! You don't want to be Jersey orange. :laugh:
  • Amazingwillbeme
    Amazingwillbeme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS

I find rescue oil fab use it twice a day for at least 3 weeks you should see a BIG improvement
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Once you have them, they’re with you for life. They will fade over time and become less noticeable, massaging oil into them every day will help soften them.

You can use generic almond/Grapeseed oil from health shops. Avocado oil is really good for scars too.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have an awful amount of stretch marks, but all of mine have faded over time and they're not really visible unless you're up close. It may or may not have something to do with the fact that I do what I'm about to type... either way, it hasn't done me any harm.

If yours are still red/purple as you say, I've heard a lot of tips that scrubbing at them furiously with a loofah while you shower will damage the skin cells and promote healing (because stretch marks are basically just skin tears, scars), especially if you moisturise with cocoa butter with vitamin E post-shower. They should fade.

p.s. don't scrub so hard you make them scab over, not only is that gross to deal with but it will result in more scarring, not less.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Bio-oil
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Nobody at the beach cares.. Only you care.

Other than time that will fade them, there isn't any effective treatment short of surgery.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are badass, they're like battle scars.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I use bio oil for mine and it's awesome stuff, not the cheapest but well well worth it
  • melimama2
    melimama2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You notice them more than anyone else will. Mine make me really self conscious too. Bio-oil will help them fade over time. Maybe try a spray tan before you go to help diminish the appearance. Have fun and show off that body you worked so hard for!
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have no tips for you right now, just the reassurance that for me, my red, purple stretch marks (that I had everywhere, belly, legs, arms, breasts) have faded. They are now just a bit lighter than my non-scarred skin, and you can only see them if they fold over or if you look up close. I didn't scrub, I didn't moisturize.
  • bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said about oil but what u are asking for is a quick fix

Spray tan, it will only help a little but it makes me feel better.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I know all of you are being nice but as much as I hate to say it college age kids can be very cruel. I remember when I was in college a girl in the group had a baby. I was not close to her but several of the boys were making very rude comments about her being one giant stretch mark. They called her names all the time I felt so bad for her.

You are a young woman and young men are going to notice you whether you wear a bikini or a one piece. If you stretch marks are still angry red and purple as you say. I suggest you get a one piece you can find one that will make you look fantastic and cover most of the stretch marks. In a year or two when they fade then get your bikini.

They are right most people do get stretch marks in their life. But at the stage you are at with the stretch marks being so prominent you don't want some cruel nickname attached to you that will hang on long after your stretch marks are gone. Not that the people who love and know you will care but they will remember and feel sorry for you.

This is what I would tell you if you were my daughter. Unfortunately life has a way of being cruel and you need to protect yourself.
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately only time will make them less noticeable. But most people at the beach will be worrying too much about their own insecurities to notice anybody elses imperfections. Take a look when you go to the beach and notice how many of the females will have stretch marks around their hips and boobs, and possibly many other places. (I have also seen men with stretchmarks I should add - they are not only on women!)

There may be one idiot who feels they are perfect and entitled to comment on your body, but remember you're stretchmarks will fade, they will be ugly on the inside for life!

If you are really uncomfortable maybe wear a cute almost sheer coverup until you are comfortable with your surroundings, and then if you feel like it whip it off.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I know all of you are being nice but as much as I hate to say it college age kids can be very cruel. I remember when I was in college a girl in the group had a baby. I was not close to her but several of the boys were making very rude comments about her being one giant stretch mark. They called her names all the time I felt so bad for her.

You are a young woman and young men are going to notice you whether you wear a bikini or a one piece. If you stretch marks are still angry red and purple as you say. I suggest you get a one piece you can find one that will make you look fantastic and cover most of the stretch marks. In a year or two when they fade then get your bikini.

They are right most people do get stretch marks in their life. But at the stage you are at with the stretch marks being so prominent you don't want some cruel nickname attached to you that will hang on long after your stretch marks are gone. Not that the people who love and know you will care but they will remember and feel sorry for you.

This is what I would tell you if you were my daughter. Unfortunately life has a way of being cruel and you need to protect yourself.

Talk about a running and hiding response...

Disagree, not all "young men" care. If they do, then that are not worth your time. Getting a one piece sounds like running away. Seriously, this isn't grammar school... it's college.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you want to wear a bikini you go ahead and wear one, be proud of the marks as they are a sign of your awsome achievement. Other people are not living in your body or gone through all you went through to get there.

As for the one peice, I wear a one peice because its what I feel comfortable in (not because Im running away from anything). I have one I use for swimming (weekly, local pool) and one I wear on holiday which has a skirt bottom. I like them because I dont feel like im running about in my undies.

If you do go for a bikini and someone asks about them tell them, youll probably find a response like "no way, you could never have been fat, look at you now"
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are bad *kitten* battle scars--ooh I like that!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I had a baby when I was a senior in high school. I had stretch marks. No one every gave me a hard time and men (even my own age) were still interested.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options

OP doesn't need to protect herself from anything.

As a senior in college, I am aware that there are people who like to make fun of others. But those individuals are few and far between, and from my own experience, they only get going when they're in a group and they're trying to impress someone.

90+ percent of people will not notice, or if they do notice, they'll a) appreciate your weight loss, or b) forget in about .4 seconds. College is actually the time where I felt most secure. There wasn't nearly as much petty teasing as there was when I was in middle and high school. Besides, when you're at the beach, no one will know you personally. I imagine that you won't have any problems at all!

So please, don't feel obligated to hide your body. You've lost an incredible 60 pounds, and you should be so proud of that. Show it off. If anything, you'll have people asking you what you did to look so great!

I have stretch marks too. They're awful, and all over my body. But they'll fade with time. :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    palmers is great for the purpley ones (and much cheaper than bio-oil) long term.

but i'd second the spray tan idea to camouflage them in the meantime. and wear the bikini - you've done too well not to :)