Breastfeeding Mom new here...any tips?

Options
Hello I am a breastfeeding and working mom. Any tips on calorie intake, foods or exercise are welcomed! Thanks.

Replies

• amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome! Sorry, I don't have any tips for you. I'm actually interested to see what answers you get. I'm also breastfeeding and have been considering adding to my calorie goal because I feel like I'm starving. However, it's only been a few days of dieting so I may just need time to adjust. Good luck and thanks for your post!
  • ncgirl
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of water!!!! Just pay attention to your baby; log foods you eat and baby's behavior to associate what he/she may not like you eating and adjust accordingly; Nobody needs their baby any more fussy than usual because we enjoyed a favorite food that they don't like....LOL.....Your time will come and this is such a short time in the span or your parenthood....enjoy it....I breastfed both of my children until 14 mo and 10 mo and it was a joy!. Be patient and relax; the both of you will benefit!

:flowerforyou:
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I am also exclusively breastfeeding and my main concern when I started here (almost 2 weeks ago) was that my supply would drop if I cut out too many calories. I originally added a few hundred calories to my alloted amount...but found that I really didn't need them. Now I try to stick to the amount assigned, but I watch my little one closely and if she were to ever act like she wasnt' getting enough, I would probably start eating a bit more. I suggest drinking plenty of fluids and maybe consider adding oatmeal to your diet (if you don't eat it already). So for things are going okay for me, but everyone is different. You could add a few hundered...watch a week or so, and then gradually reduce that amount until you find a good fit. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you need support!! :)
  • boomstick13s
    Options
    I would talk to my doctor first, just to find out what they recommend. Also don't lose the weight to quickly, it can release toxins into your breast milk that makes for a sick baby (happened to a friend of mine who decided to crash diet while breastfeeding)
  • asteppaway
    asteppaway Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a chance to breastfeed for too long...but my friend has, she has dropped a lot of weight by just eating healthy (smoothies, healthy sandwiches for lunch and fruits etc.) and not overdoing the junkfood and by either walking or doing to elliptical (20 mins). Pushing yourself too hard can actually release toxins into your breastmilk, so be careful. The combination of just eating healthy and light exercise, plus breastfeeding should do wonders! The bigger your baby gets, the more he/she eats, so the more calories you burn with that! I think you can treat breastfeeding as an exercise on here...so if you find out your daily calories goal, and then enter breastfeeding in the exercise catagory (I could be wrong and it not be there, but it's typically 500 calories a day if you are breastfeeding exclusively) that way you can keep track of calories and make sure you eat back the breastfeeding ones without messing up your daily goals! I hope that makes sense lol!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight successfully for the last three months and I have a six month old cutie that I am breastfeeding. I'm down from 215 pounds (at the height of my pregnancy) to 151.4 pounds. Of these pounds lost, 30 were lost with better nutrition and exercise. Eat less, move more.

Here's what I can tell you from my experience:
    -wait to restrict your calorie intake until your milk is mature (it takes about 21 days after birth). I actually waited a bit longer than this, but it is important to wait for your mature milk :)
    -add and eat the additional 500 calories that breastfeeding allows (this means a minimum of 1700 calories each day) I found that if I dipped below this I was faint, dizzy and generally miserable
    -start slow with the exercise and give yourself reasonable goals (don't start aiming for 5 times a week, start with once or twice a week) I have myself set at sedentary on MFP and I even add housework into my exercise! lol I actually really look forward to going to the gym, it's special alone time away from the baby and my older son. Breastfeed right before or do it during a nap. Or take the baby out for a walk, it's great exercise and helps when they are fussy!
    -aim to lose about a pound a week, more is not really recommended (again, you could become miserable)
    -make sure that your baby is gaining weight successfully and back off if you find they are not or they are quite fussy. I suggest weighing them at the same time as you weigh yourself (once a week) to assure yourself they are making progress and growing well
    -eat throughout the day to keep your blood sugar even and your milk supply consistent. Snacks are essential!
    -enjoy the process, hope you have much success in losing those extra baby pounds.

p.s. I add the additional 500 calories as 1 minute of cardio exercise LOL (even though it's like 3 hours a day) so that I don't mess up my minutes of exercise but I can still see how many calories I have to work with.
  • kriswithmany
    kriswithmany Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't attempt to loose more than 1-2 lbs/week. You risk your milk supply trying to do more than that. The extra calories that you burn from breastfeeding depends on a lot of things. You, how much you're producing/baby is eating, age of baby, etc. I would figure in an extra 500 cal for maintenance for a young baby exclusively breastfed. Try it, and and adjust your calorie goal after a week. Or just track what you're eating now for a week or so, and adjust based on whether you're gaining/losing/maintaining. You will need to make every calorie count. You need protein, fat (the healthy kind!), and plenty of vitamins and minerals to keep both you and baby healthy. Taking a multivitamin is not the same as eating vegetables and fresh fruits. :)

For exercise, I don't have much advice other than find something fun for you. I'm assuming you are at least 6 weeks post-partum. If not, hold on till then. You need to give your body a chance to heal. I'm loving the video I started using on Friday (Jillian's 30 day Shred), but I think it would be a little too much for someone just coming back from maternity leave.

Oh, and all this is coming from an experienced mom - I'm no doctor. ;) Wishing you the best on your journey!
  • asteppaway
    asteppaway Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I checked an it isn't in the database, but you should be able to add it...I've seen it used before!
  • ncgirl
    Options
    Don't worry too much about your baby not gettign enough. Your body will deplete everything you have nutritionally first before the baby ever suffers. You need to make sure you feel good and get enough for your energy and health. I thought the same about increasing and also realized it's not about intake it's about balance and MFP really helps with that! Good luck in your weight loss
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hello there! CONGRATS on your new baby! :)

Allot yourself an extra 500 calories per day while you are breastfeeding. Your metabolism is increased while breastfeeding. A balanced diet is of the utmost importance to ensure that both you and baby are getting the nutrients you need. It is true that our bodies are designed to provide for the baby first which means you would suffer a depletion before your baby will. However, you don't want to let that happen as it will result in a tired and cranky Momma! You also have an increased need for iron while breastfeeding. I think you will be fine so long as your diet is balanced and healthy. You've had some great advice above!

Good luck to you and keep us posted! :)
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Nursed all 5 of my children. Gained weight with all of them while nursing except the last one. Had the last one @45 and developed Gestational Diabetes at 7 months. Sooo, at that point I dropped all soda, tried to avoid high fructose corn syrup and any type of hydrogenated anything. Snacked on healthy stuff like peanut butter and fruit and vegies, started taking vitamin d via cod liver oil and vitamin e d-alpha not dl think dl = da lousy.

I stayed at my pre-preg weight, he was 8lbs so not hurt at all. And then nursed him. The only thing I changed at that point was adding calories via whole grains and a little more protien. Throughout pregnancy I exercised and I did as much as I could after. Dropped weight even then and everything was fine until weaning.

So it boils down to drop soda, be very careful of simple carbs and exercise... they love being used as weights as long as you can do it safely of course... the other key, stay rested. Good luck and no dieting till you start weaning. ;-P
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Watch your calories and move more, but you may not need as many calories as suggested for nursing moms. I have nursed all of mine and w/ the last three really focused on weight loss. I definitely less calories than I thought to lose weight and not compromise supply. How old is your baby? Are you exclusively nursing or is baby getting some supplementation or solids?

Annabelle
  • Christy_77
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm exclusively breastfeeding as well. My little girl is 9 weeks old today. My doctor suggested that I add an additional 300-500 calories daily while breastfeeding. I did have a mastitis infection when she was just over 3 weeks old and the resulting fever caused my milk supply to drop. Since I've gotten it back up, I'm reluctant to tamper with the calories in case I see a drop again. If you type in "breastfeeding" in the database, you'll see the options to add to your food diary. A safe weight-loss is 1-2 pounds a week. I'm watching portion sizes and adding in lots of salads, veggies and fruit. Also, I'm trying to drink my 8 glasses of water a day, in addition to any other liquid I'm consuming. I find some days I'm hungrier than others, so on those days I eat until I'm satisfied but try to make healthy choices. One of my favourite things on those days when I'm starving is 1/2 of a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter.

I'm doing Tracey Mallett's "Get Your Body Back" (her book, Fit Mama is great too) and JM's 30 Day Shred, plus I'm walking and doing yoga. My best advice is to make sure you're wearing a good exercise bra. My pre-pregnancy fitness bra was too tight in the cups and compression of the breast tissue can lead to blocked ducts and infection. I invested in a really good nursing exercise bra.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you need support on your way to becoming a Yummy Mummy
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Most of the posts above are all suggestions I'd give, with the exception of the one that states something like "don't worry about calorie intake, your body will take nutrients from body stores before it takes from milk"..... not true, what I ate and drank while breastfeeding made a HUGE difference in my milk supply. I nursed all 3 of my kiddos, so I have some credibility there :smile: Set your MFP goals to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week, and then add 500 to whatever that number is, and eat your exercise calories. Every one of them. You'll lose, and your baby will still have plenty of milk :smile: Don't forget to drink lots of water!!

I also saw that you're working - I worked/pumped for the first year after our littlest was born, and my biggest piece of advice is this: GUARD YOUR PUMPING TIME WITH YOUR LIFE - don't put it off, don't take excuses or pressure from other people to not go pump, or delay it, etc..... this is your baby you're feeding, and your milk supply WILL taper off if you're not careful, and it's really hard to get it back up again when you're not with your baby during the day. Try to pump on weekends too - in the beginning your baby will not eat as much as you pump, but later on, will probably need more than you can pump, so it all evens out. Get yourself a good pump, and nurse as much as you can when you're home! Make sure your caregiver is on the same page with the importance of breastfeeding your little one, and knows how to take care of the milk and prepare it, it's a lot different than formula :laugh: My hubby was always with our son when I wasn't, and I swear I couldn't have done it without him...... he washed pump parts, kept me posted on how much our son was eating during the day, never once complained about the extra care breastmilk took...... it was sooo worth it. Our baby was NEVER sick, and is one of the healthiest 3 year olds his doc has ever seen...... only time he ever goes to the doc is for a yearly checkup. :bigsmile: You're doing a great thing :bigsmile:

Congratulations on your little one, and best of luck with your breastfeeding! Being back to work is tough, but you're on a great course!!
    :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    lots of Water, get the right cals in. all that stuff. Wait to feed at least 30min after your workout- helps with let down and you are calmer.

But if you have to bring babe along for the gym folks to watch, bring a bottle even if it has water. They will come and get you every time your child fusses for more than a minute if they know you breast feed. I could never get a good workout in if I had to bring Babe.
    If they have crying kids they have to make sure they can handle their load of kiddies. if you breast feed and they know it they automatically assume the child is hungry and get you, so that is one less crying babe they have to count.
    Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • gwynethsmom
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I just came back to work 3 weeks ago and I am trying to eat right while I'm here. I am very excited to be breastfeeding. I have lost 40 lbs since giving birth to my daughter in June and I credit it all to breastfeeding. I would like to lose 35 more pounds. So hopefully I can do it. I am just worried about dieting and losing my milk supply. So good luck everyone!
  • lisseth82
    Options
    I was very fortunate to speak with a nutritionist during my one year journey of exclusively breastfeeding(pumping) my LO.
    Everyone burns a different amount of calories from breastfeeding depending on the supply you produce in a 24hr period.
    It takes ~85 calories to produce every 100cc of milk. There are 30cc in one ounce. Say your produce 24ounces in 24hrs then plug in ounces below.

~24 oz = ~700cc
    85 x 7 = 595 calories

So that's 600calories burned (rounded).
    In order to safely lose weight and not compromise your milk supply aim for 1500-1800 calorie intake. Hydration and protein as well as nutritious foods are your friends. Good luck ladies.
  • lisseth82
    Options
    Below are some other sample menu plans on what your daily consumption should look like.

• Breastfeeding requires more calories (about 500 more calories per
    day), protein, vitamins, and minerals than you needed before
    pregnancy.
    • Consume a wide variety of food from all the food groups.
    • Extra calories should be from nutritious foods, such as lean meats,
    low-fat or nonfat dairy products, fruits, vegetables, and whole grain breads
    and cereals.
    • If you feel that your baby is bothered by a certain food that you eat, stop eating that
    food for at least 3 days and try it again later.
    • Drink approximately 8 to 12 (8 oz) caffeine-free drinks per day.
    Daily Meal Planning Guidelines
    • Have at least 3 servings of dairy.
    • Eat at least 3 servings of vegetables (including at least 1 serving of dark green or orange
    vegetables).
    • Have at least 3 servings of fruit or 100% fruit juice (including at least 1 serving of citrus
    or berries).
    • Eat at least 3 servings of whole grain bread, cereal, or pasta.
    • Eat at least 2 to 3 servings of meat, fish, or poultry.
    o If you choose not to eat meat, make sure to include similar amounts of other foods
    with protein, like cooked dried beans, tofu or soy, eggs, nuts, and cheese.
    Breastfeeding (for Women who are Exclusively Breastfeeding) Nutrition Therapy – Page 2
    Recommended Foods
    Food Group Recommended Foods
    Dairy (3 cups/day) Fat-free or low-fat yogurt
    Fat-free milk (skim milk)
    Low-fat milk (1% milk)
    Fruits (2 cups/day) Cantaloupe
    Honeydew melon
    Mangoes
    Prunes or prune juice
    Bananas
    Apricots
    Oranges and orange juice
    Red or pink grapefruit
    Avocado
    Grains (8 ounces/day) Fortified ready-to-eat cereals
    Fortified cooked cereals
    Wheat germ
    Whole grain bread
    Protein foods (6½ ounces/day) Cooked dry beans and peas (such as pinto beans,
    soybeans, white beans, lentils, kidney beans,
    chickpeas)
    Nuts and seeds (such as sunflower seeds, almonds,
    hazelnuts, pine nuts, peanuts, and peanut butter)
    Lean beef, lamb, and pork
    Shrimp, clams, oysters, and crab
    Halibut, cod, rainbow trout, herring, sardines,
    rockfish, and yellowfin tuna
    Vegetables (3 cups/day) Carrots
    Sweet potatoes
    Pumpkin
    Spinach
    Cooked greens (kale, collards, turnip greens, and
    beet greens)
    Winter squash
    Tomatoes
    Red sweet peppers
    Copyright © American Dietetic Association. This handout may be duplicated for client education.
    Breastfeeding (for Women who are Exclusively Breastfeeding) Nutrition Therapy – Page 3
    Foods to Limit or Avoid
    Alcohol:
    • After having 1 alcoholic drink, wait at least 2 hours before breastfeeding. One serving of
    alcohol is 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof liquor.
    • Wait an extra 2 hours for every additional serving of alcohol consumed.
    Caffeine:
    • Limit drinks with caffeine (coffee, tea, and soft drinks) to no more than 2 to 5 cups per
    day.
    • Other sources of caffeine include some medications and weight-loss aids. Discuss the use
    of these with your doctor or dietitian.
    Herbal teas:
    • Avoid consumption of herbal teas if possible, or use with caution.
    Fish and shellfish:
    • Avoid fish with high mercury levels, such as shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tile
    fish.
    • Eat no more than 12 oz per week of fish and shellfish that have lower concentrations of
    mercury. Types to limit include shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    • Albacore (white) tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. Limit it to 6 ounces per
    week
    • If no advice is available about locally caught fish, do not eat more than 6ounces per
    week.
    Other items to avoid:
    • Tobacco
    • Herbal remedies or supplements
    • Vitamin or mineral supplements other than those recommended or prescribed by your
    doctor, nurse practitioner, or midwife.
    Breastfeeding (for Women who are Exclusively Breastfeeding) Nutrition Therapy – Page 4
    Sample 1-Day Menu
    Meal Food Choices
    Breakfast 4 oz ready-to-eat, fortified cereal
    1 cup fat-free or 1% milk
    1 cup orange juice
    Hot beverage
    Snack ½ large bagel
    1-2 oz soft cheese
    Lunch Sandwich with 2 slices bread, 2 oz lunch meat, lettuce, tomato,
    mustard, and mayonnaise
    ½ cup carrot and celery sticks
    Fresh apple
    Snack 1 cup tomato or vegetable juice
    Evening
    Meal
    3 oz roast beef
    1 cup mashed potatoes
    ½ cup broccoli
    1½ cup tossed salad with salad dressing
    Snack 2-3 graham crackers
    1 Tbsp peanut butter
    1 cup fat-free or 1% milk
    Approximate Nutrition Analysis:
    Calories: 1,942; Protein: 93g (19% of calories); Carbohydrate: 284g (57% of calories); Fat: 56g
    (25% of calories); Sodium: 3,500mg; Fiber: 28g; Cholesterol: 158mg
  • e1ny
    e1ny Posts: 29
    Options
    I have seen a few threads regarding breastfeeding on here in the last month. Might be worth a search on the community board to see if you can find any that have helpful hints. Then if you have further questions, you can even reply to that thread and it will bring it to the top as a current discussion so you can get responses off of that. GL!
  • ambybaby
    Options
    I am still breast feeding my 6 month old. I joined here when i thought i would start weaning but haven't really started weaning yet. Milk supply is okay and i did lose about 4 lbs in 2 weeks :-) Best of Luck!