Running socks?

Options
So, I've been wearing these socks that I purchased in ****'s Sporting goods to run in. They specifically said that that is what they were made for. However, if I walk/run for more than 45 minutes or so, I get awful blisters that HURT! I don't want the reason my workout is cut short to be my socks. Do y'all have any recommendations on socks or maybe something I'm doing wrong!

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I wear 1000 mile socks.

They are double layered

Also, rub vaseline on your fett pre run, works a treat
  • miyoshi637
    Options
    I have under armour ones that are awesome, they're specifically made for your left foot or right foot and they don't bunch, move, and I've never gotten blisters from them. I've walked 15 miles at Disneyland in them, no problem. Nike also makes awesome ones too. Both of them absorb moisture and you never get that weird wet sock feeling. You can usually find them at Marshall's for much cheaper than a sporting goods store.
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I bought New Balance running socks at ****'s Sporting Goods and they work great for me. They're very comfortable and wick away sweat. They have a whole selection of running socks there, but the NB ones are the only ones I have tried.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If your shoes fit properly you should not get blisters with or without fancy 2 layer socks etc.

Are the socks the only thing you've changed lately?
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I bought the socks and my running shoes at the same time. But, its like I can feel the socks rubbing/my feet slipping
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    if your feet are slipping then you really need to look at the shoes
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Your shoes could be the problem. But do check what your socks are made out of--even if it says they are for running, if they are cotton, don't run in them.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Your shoes could be the problem. But do check what your socks are made out of--even if it says they are for running, if they are cotton, don't run in them.

What's the best material for socks, if Cotton's a no-no?
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Swiftwick running socks are the best! I have like 5 or 6 pairs of them and have never had a problem. My feet get hot very easily so this is what the running store had recommended and I love them.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If your shoes fit properly you should not get blisters with or without fancy 2 layer socks etc.

Are the socks the only thing you've changed lately?

^^This, is simply not true. Any experienced runner will tell to never wear cotton on your feet while running any significant distance.

1) running socks should be made of a synthetic or natural material that wicks sweat away from your foot; 2) they should cover all parts of your foot that could possibly touch your shoe; and 3) they should fit snugly around your feet.

This rules out all cotton socks. Socks made of 100% cotton will, instead of pulling sweat away from your foot, hold it right up against your skin, rub it and give you blisters.

In cold weather it is even worse to wear cotton, as if your feet even get the slightest bit wet they will stay wet and get cold. You better hope that if you stepped in a puddle wearing cotton socks that you’re close to home, because after that point you will have a very uncomfortable run.
  • jenniferevon
    Options
    I have terrible problems with getting blisters on my feet. I thought it was my shoes but turns out it WAS my socks. I found that wearing Injinji toe socks made a world of difference. Also, try duct taping your feet. Pre-Injinji, I duct taped my feet all the time. Some people are just prone to blistering.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

What's the best material for socks, if Cotton's a no-no?

Synthetic or wool, usually. Synthetic is more common.
  • jesstedder
    Options
    Try Swiftwick socks, they have wool and synthetic blends in weights for both summer and winter. I've run multiple marathons in their Performance and Pursuit socks with no problems. Plus, as an added bonus, they manufacture all of their socks in the US.

My wife loves the Smartwool PhD socks, so you might try those out too.

I agree with the other posters - cotton is not your friend. Wool or a quick drying synthetic is the way to go.
  • Maile_131
    Maile_131 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I second it on the ijinji socks... I love them. I don't like the ijinji shoes for some reason (personal choice), but I like to have my toes move and grip in my shoes and since each toe is separated, I never blister in them. I like the medium weight ones for running.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Balega's. I also used to run in these running-type socks from Old Navy that I still have two and a half years later.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I use experia powered by Thorlo socks. And I do find that the socks are even more important than the shoes.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    thorlos for me. They last a long time too
  • grosa001
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'm just getting up to 7-9 mile runs and this was a problem for me. I had no idea that cotton socks were bad.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have a few pairs of New Balance running socks and just got some new Asics socks in the mail yesterday. It's honestly a PITA trying to find my size in running socks. I had to resort to buying them at runnerswarehouse.com but they do have great prices at least
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I would say you should definitely look at the shoes, but I always get blisters right on the back of my heel. I found these Asics socks from D!ck's that have a little flap on the heel that reduces the rub in that area:

pDSP1-12448898p275w.jpg

They're awesome and inexpensive! And they're holding up really well for me. I've had them for over a year.