Vegan and Still Overweight...

Options
Hey there,
I'm a 35 yr old Vegan and think I am one of the only folks I know who switched to a vegan diet without losing 30+ lbs. I basically have maintained my weight for the past 4-5 years even with cutting out all meat, dairy and eggs. I try to avoid processed vegan foods and eat a lot of steamed kale/other leafy greens and whole grains.
Any other fluffy vegans out there? I could use some support or success stories :) I've been on MFP for just about a week now and am definitely looking forward to beginning my journey to an improved me!
Thanks!

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 11 years, and I cook vegan at home, so I don't eat much dairy or eggs really. It's still easy to overeat and not eat the right things as a vegetarian or vegan. For me, the issue has always been a combination of overeating and not enough activity.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Why do people automatically think being vegan makes it impossible to overeat?
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Vegan, Vegtarian etc. does not automatically = thin or healthy. Same as thin does not always = healthy.
    People need to focus on health rather a size or shape.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of overweight vegans. Remember, potato chips are vegan. Vegan sweets are higher in calories than non-vegan, too. You still have to cut calories.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    your_daily_life_in_gifs_08.gif
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 15+ years. I got really fat. If I was a vegan, I'd have become just as fat. I just ate a ton of food. Not even sweets, just daily binge sessions.

Calories in -> Calories out.
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was a strict vegetarian for almost 10 years (not anymore, I switched to organic), but I think I was eating healthier before I became a vegetarian. I stopped eating my normal meat/veggies, but cooked all sort of wonderful vegetarian creations myself (with a lot of cheese.. ahum) and I have a bad case of sweet tooth. In that case it doesn't really matter if you're vegan/vegetarian or not.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 15+ years. I got really fat. If I was a vegan, I'd have become just as fat. I just ate a ton of food. Not even sweets, just daily binge sessions.

Vegetarian =/= skinny

On another note:

My sister is a veggiesaurus and she eats a lot of prepackaged food, which is fine but anything packaged usually has extra calories due to salt and sugar added!
  • pan0ramic
    Options
    I've been vegan for over 10 years. I lost weight at the start, but then years of poor eating habits and too much drinking packed on an extra 30 points (I'm getting there though!)

MFP was exactly what I needed as it showed me exactly where I was overeating: too much junk food (chips, candy, and cookies) and way too much oil. I was eating 450 calories a day just in olive oil!

My food diary is public and is 99% correct as I'm super anal. Have a peek if you're interest and good luck!

----

My go-to food now: low-cal fruit like strawberries and cherries, and broccoli with garlic and 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce (NO OIL)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said vegan does not equate to healthy or skinny.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Vegetarian =/= skinny

On another note:

My sister is a veggiesaurus and she eats a lot of prepackaged food, which is fine but anything packaged usually has extra calories due to salt and sugar added!

WHAT? Salt has no calories
  • VegGalD6
    VegGalD6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know I am not the one and only :) I am hoping MFP will help me track my calories better and have already noticed a lot of days where I am way under what I should be consuming and a couple way over. So excited to get that in control. I also do the 30DS program about 4x a week (since Oct 2012 off and on in cycles). Thinking of starting C25K to add longer cardio sessions. *fingers crossed*
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of overweight vegans. Remember, potato chips are vegan. Vegan sweets are higher in calories than non-vegan, too. You still have to cut calories.

I agree with the above. I have been vegan for the last four years and vegetarian prior and still managed to gain weight. I have finally succeeded on losing my weight using the 5:2 plan. It really helped me get the portion control and healthy choices under control again. But whatever plan that does that for you is a good one to try. As far as potato chips, it was my real problem with regarding to bad food choices and as of yesterday when I spent most of the day trying to the ignore the bowl at work, it apparently is. Friend me if you would like. I love having friends with vegan diaries to get ideas from.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Actually most of the vegans and vegetarians I know are overweight. It's a mixture of inactivity and nutritional balance. If you don't get enough protein and healthy fats you're going to continue to be hungry, then there's a propensity to fill up on calorie dense foods to feel full . . . and all that is assuming that you aren't a habitual over eater to begin with. Like with everyone, it's a balance of nutrition to feel full, paired with a balance between activity and consumption to maintain a reasonable caloric deficit.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    It's because you're not a level 5 vegan, where you don't eat anything with a shadow.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's because you're not a level 5 vegan, where you don't eat anything with a shadow.

The Simpsons. Classic.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I'm a 35 yr old Vegan and think I am one of the only folks I know who switched to a vegan diet without losing 30+ lbs. I basically have maintained my weight for the past 4-5 years even with cutting out all meat, dairy and eggs. I try to avoid processed vegan foods and eat a lot of steamed kale/other leafy greens and whole grains.
    Any other fluffy vegans out there? I could use some support or success stories :) I've been on MFP for just about a week now and am definitely looking forward to beginning my journey to an improved me!
    Thanks!

I"m going to reiterate what other people have all ready said: I don't care what everybody tells you about weight, you don't lose without having a calorie deficit. There isn't a magic trick to this. If you eat 3,000 calories of veggies, you'll still be overweight. If you're eating between 1,200 to 1,500 calories of veggies, you'll see weight-loss happening. It's not magic.
  • lynalinda
    lynalinda Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey ! Im vegan and also overweight ( but i was fat even before i went vegan), i managed to loose nearly 20 pounds while being vegan without tracking my calories, but i want to make sure that i don't consume too much calories and end up gaining weight, this is why i came to my fitness pal ! My diary is open for my friends only so feel free to add me :)