Being Cold

Options
So I have managed to lose about 25lbs in the last couple of months (I didn't start using MFP right away) and 1 thing I have noticed in that time is that I am cold... all the time. Before this I have always been very hot natured... but in that time I seem to have changed and am constantly freezing. I know fat insulates the body and the more of it you lose the more likely you are to be cold... but is it normal to have this radical of a shift in such a short period of time? Or could there be another explanation... or could there even be something wrong I should worry about?

Replies

• CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I was freezing all the time at first now I am accustomed to less insulation, and being summer here helps. Looking forward to being freezing all winter again lol, buti can put more clothes on ;)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    When I lost my layer of blubber, I started noticing colder temperatures more.

But you could also be adapting to a long-term lower calorie diet. Now that I am at maintenance and am eating more, I feel quite warm again.
  • TiffersStr1
    TiffersStr1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Between getting old (I hear it thins your blood) and losing 111 lbs I'm ALWAYS freezing. Even in 80 degree temps. I have just learned to always bring a sweater everywhere. LOL! :laugh:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It's normal - I have gone through the same thing. I think it has to do more with the fact that we're in a constant calorie deficit rather than losing actual fat. At least, it's what I've heard. It does take a ton of energy to keep our bodies warm (because so much radiates off just from living in an environment that's below 98.6 degrees F), and if our bodies are partly lacking in that energy, they may not use as much energy towards that.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    Cold intolerance is a symptom of hypothyroidism.
  • elaanne
    elaanne Posts: 35
    Options
    I have had a similar experience as well!
  • vrhamilton78
    Options
    I have the heater on in my car...in the MIDDLE OF SUMMER! I sit at my desk with a jacket and my space heater on...while everyone else is complaining how hot it is. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Same here. I was hot all the time but since losing a good amount of weight, I get cold a lot now. Especially my hands.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've continued to stay cold natured since I lost the weight. I keep a heater under my desk while others around me have fans. Kind of sucks, but I've gotten accustomed to it. Haha.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    ..I turned my heated seats on this morning....
  • jwebster45206
    jwebster45206 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've been wearing a fleece jacket to ward off air conditioning at the office all summer. Used to be hot all the time, but like you I have about 20-30 lbs. less than this time last year.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Cold intolerance is a symptom of hypothyroidism.

That's a good point--it is a good idea to take a full diet break periodically while you are on a long-term weight loss plan, to allow your hormonal system to reset. This requires eating at maintenance (whatever your estimated maintenance is) for two weeks, as described here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html